Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my pet peeves is LIVE (mostly pistol) ammunition discarded on ranges. Over several years I have picked up a 3 lb. coffee can full. Examples run the gamut from .32 acp, .380, 9mm Luger, 9mm variants like 9x18 Makarov and 9x21, .38 super, .40 S&W, .45 acp, and a handful of .223/5.56. Some are clearly somebody's competition reloads. The odd ball calibers almost certainly not.

Most appear to be cartridges that wouldn't or didn't chamber. A handful were loaded with the primer inserted backwards. Some may have resulted from competitors jacking a round onto the ground to clear the chamber after finishing a stage of fire. What they all had in common was a LIVE round with a LIVE primer.

So... at this point I've pulled all the bullets. The powder was dumped in a flower bed. I'll recycle the brass and I'll cast fishing sinkers with the resultant lead. Now I'm left to deal with the live primers.

I've sold all my guns but I borrowed a few in common calibers from guys that still shoot and used them to fire live primers in otherwise empty brass. However, I still have a LOT of odd ball or damaged brass that won't fit ANY firearm available to me.

Short of pounding them with a hammer, how do I permanently neutralize these things? I've read about soaking them in oil, penetrating oil, solvents, kerosene etc. but the general consensus is that petroleum products are only a temporary fix. Apparently when the liquid is drained and the primers dry out, the dang things "come back to life".

I really don't want to expose anyone - like my friendly garbage haulers- to a potentially hazardous item. So... do any of my learned friends have a solution or suggestion?

sissy

·
Registered
150 Posts
Cast iron pot with a heavy cast iron lid on a propane burner.

I have a “non-potable” pot dedicated for melting lead.

Sounds like popcorn. I don’t go near it until I here the same number of pops that I put in it.

Tossing off a bridge might be safer.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I've always just put oil in them. Never had a problem.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
I used the Coleman stove and a gallon size old empty paint can to detonate some primers. It worked but these were shotgun primers for the most part. A few would actually penetrate the side of the can. Remember that the primer alone can launch an oz. of shot and a wad ten or fifteen feet so they do have some power in them. I put some nail holes in the can to allow for the venting of the higher pressure gasses from the primers detonating and the lid was used in the normal way. One interesting thing was that with 10 or 15 in the can, it may fire one and then another but then there would be a chain detonation where the first may cause the next five or ten to go off as a group.

These shotgun primers were ones that mis-seated in the reloader and had damage that would not allow them to fire in an empty shell so that was the only way I could make sure that they did not end up in some other place where they could have been dangerous if they were crushed or heated.

Prior to that I tried a couple soaked in WD-40 for a day or so and they still went BANG when heated a few days later so WD-40, for me anyway, did not deactivate the primer. Most shotgun primers are now sealed so the oil will probably not even get to the primer mix.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
WD40 is what I have used in the past, penetrates quicker and better than oil in my opinion, and has worked for me.

·
Registered
21,450 Posts
WD40 is what I have used in the past, penetrates quicker and better than oil in my opinion, and has worked for me.
Prior to that I tried a couple soaked in WD-40 for a day or so and they still went BANG when heated a few days later so WD-40, for me anyway, did not deactivate the primer.
hmmmm. Contradictories. Who’s right? The guy who exploded the WD soaked primers.

Reactions: Doc!

·
Registered
150 Posts
When I get ahead of myself reloading on my 9000H, sometimes I’ll miss the occasional flipped primer.

I have been putting those smashed “live” primers in my spit bottle. I assumed they would inert by the time they made it to the landfill. Copenhagen causes cancers, you’d think it would kill a little bitty primer.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
At our Pistol/Rifle range we have a 1/2 Gal Jug with oel in it ,for disposal of life brass shells . Shotgun shells we either cut open and dump the contens or throw the whole shell in a fire. It is safe ,they just "hiss " . No Explosion

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
NO!!!! I spent 22½ years mowing Trap & Skeet fields and never enjoyed hitting a live shell with the mower blade. At least they were riders, so I never got hurt. I stopped anyone shooting at the range from throwing live shells that I saw. If they persissted, I TOLD them to leave and don't come back. With 8 trapfields, I couldn't catch them all.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts