Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting Negrini cases for my tubed skeet guns. Anyone have any long-term experience with them? I like the light weight but will they hold up?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I use the Negrini gun cases and have not had any issues. I have a custom made canvas cover made for all of my cases to protect the case from scratches, dents, etc.

With respect to other Negrini products, I would stay away from their ammo storage containers. I bought one earlier this year and even had a custom canvas case cover made for it. I never drop it on the ground or throw it in the back of my truck.....always gently placing it down. But the plastic is thin around the corners of the case and the corners have begun to crack. I contacted the US distributor for Negrini about this and they said Negrini is working on redesigning the case to make the corners stronger. The distributor said they would take care of me with a replacement but I'm still waiting to hear back from them.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I don't have one, but a couple of my friends have their Kolar gun and tubes in Negrini cases. I would not buy one for the reason that when the stock and barrel are removed from the case, the weight of the tubes rocks the case backwards onto the case's top cover, then the bottom follows and it closes on itself upside-down. It's a real PIA. I use a soft case that handles two barrels, the forestock and the receiver, plus six long pockets on the backside for the tubes. I cut some 3/4" PVC and inserted them into the tube pockets to reinforce them and further protect the tubes in transport. When I travel by air, I use the Nasco aluminum case my gun came with.

·
Registered
13,611 Posts
My problem with them is if you get in a car accident, they will provide ZERO protection to your gun. I was rear ended in 2010. The americase that was in the trunk was bent and mangled, but the Kolar inside was perfectly fine. If it'd been in a Negrini, the gun would have been a TOTAL loss. If you're going with a Negrini, you might as well save yourself some money and just buy a soft case.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I use the Negrini gun cases and have not had any issues. I have a custom made canvas cover made for all of my cases to protect the case from scratches, dents, etc.

With respect to other Negrini products, I would stay away from their ammo storage containers. I bought one earlier this year and even had a custom canvas case cover made for it. I never drop it on the ground or throw it in the back of my truck.....always gently placing it down. But the plastic is thin around the corners of the case and the corners have begun to crack. I contacted the US distributor for Negrini about this and they said Negrini is working on redesigning the case to make the corners stronger. The distributor said they would take care of me with a replacement but I'm still waiting to hear back from them.
Please give us a call 585.905.3161. Not sure if we have responded back to you yet.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I'm interested as well. I just bought a negrini for my K80 to save some weight over the americase. My dad has his blaser in a negrini for about 4 years now with the only issue being with the leather peeling off a bit in the back.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hello, Had a Negrini but sold it here. The Negrini is nice for being light weight but they do not hold the sub gauge tubes snug. If you open your case with the flap undone, your tubes will come falling out. Happened too many times. Thats why I sold mine and went back to an Americase. My friend is doing the same. Americase is a much more durable case and I don't mind the extra weight for the convenience and security. Mike

·
Registered
13,611 Posts
The difference in weight b/w the Negrini case and the standard Americase is only 7.7lb

The difference in weight b/w the Negrini case and the Ultra-Lite Americase is only 3.7lb

(in terms of a case for one barrel o/u and subgauge tube set).

·
Registered
10,542 Posts
I vote for the SKB case that Briley carries in stock. They are nice and light and I can carry the whole package right to the field when shooting. I can't do this with the america case unless I get a dolly to drag it like luggage. They say they are airline proof. The plastic if very thick and the case opens 180 degrees so there is no problem with the case falling over backward. I would be a little leery about traveling on a airline with one though. Break em all Jeff

PS. While I do not own a Negrini case, my buddy does!!! I have compared the plastic on my SKB case and the Negrini. While I have no testing equip. the SKB case does seem to be about 50% stronger to me. Just my FYI and 2 cents. If your buying Kolar products I can see why you would go with their cases. My buddies single gun case is a fair amount lighter than my SKB skeet case. But the skeet case has 2 compartments so I am not comparing apples to apples, but I would take a guess that the SKB skeet case is heavier than the Negrini skeet case for what its worth to you. break em all Jeff

·
Registered
12 Posts
My problem with them is if you get in a car accident, they will provide ZERO protection to your gun. I was rear ended in 2010. The americase that was in the trunk was bent and mangled, but the Kolar inside was perfectly fine. If it'd been in a Negrini, the gun would have been a TOTAL loss. If you're going with a Negrini, you might as well save yourself some money and just buy a soft case.
skeet_man,

Have you owned or used a Negrini Case before? I'd understand your opinion if you have. The argument is the same if you drive a Chevy and say a Ford is garbage if you've never driven one. Our cases are not designed to be run over with a tank. Nor have we claimed as such. We do however pride ourselves in producing the lightest weight luxury case that is air travel approved. Of course you can do the same thing with an Americase, but we are about 68% lighter than our competitor (apples to apples). Again your car being rear ended is unfortunate.... but isn't that why we have insurance?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't have one, but a couple of my friends have their Kolar gun and tubes in Negrini cases. I would not buy one for the reason that when the stock and barrel are removed from the case, the weight of the tubes rocks the case backwards onto the case's top cover, then the bottom follows and it closes on itself upside-down. It's a real PIA. I use a soft case that handles two barrels, the forestock and the receiver, plus six long pockets on the backside for the tubes. I cut some 3/4" PVC and inserted them into the tube pockets to reinforce them and further protect the tubes in transport. When I travel by air, I use the Nasco aluminum case my gun came with.
These were request made by Kolar to produce the cases this way. We have removed the strap for our Negrini branded cases so they will open 180 degrees.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I have both a Perazzi combo case and Negrini single case. Like them both.
I use an Americase when air travel but for back and forth to club I use the lighter Negrini or Perazzi case pending what gun I take.

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
What msmith said. Plus when you remove your gun from the case the weight of the tubes causes the case to tip backward.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have used a Perazzi logo'ed Negrini case for five years and never had any problems. It's been on a few airplane trips but always in a hold-all (just to protect the case finish from luggage rock-apes). There are a few light scuffs from being in the trunk but nothing major. Treat your case with respect and it will last you for many, many years.

I actually felt the weight of an Americase recently (someone at the club had one for their K80). You've gotta be kidding me!

TD

·
Registered
7,690 Posts
I use ABS Perazzi cases made by Negrini to and from shooting, the two Americases I had both have sharp edges that had damaged paint on my cars while moving them around in my garage.

Gun cases serve different purposes, some carry to and from ranges, some travel to Africa hunting, some want it to protect the gun when car got totaled.

Based on my experiences, if you want total protection of your gun in travel, nothing beats Pelican case. I had them ran over by a truck in heavy rain, the case was half way sinked into the mud, the two scoped Dakota rifle didn't had a scratch on them and didn't even get wet.
But they are as heavy and ugly as a Hummer.

But regularly use something offers that kind of protection is like driving an armored truck to supermarket, or wear a level III ballistic vest every time you leave the house. You're well protected, but kind of inconvenient.

I'd put on a light jacket when I CCW in warm days, but that makes a lot more sense for what it offered than carrying a 25 lb gun case around the club.
Life is all about convenient, you choose what makes your life easier.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The difference in weight b/w the Negrini case and the standard Americase is only 7.7lb

The difference in weight b/w the Negrini case and the Ultra-Lite Americase is only 3.7lb

(in terms of a case for one barrel o/u and subgauge tube set).
7.7lbs is like carrying an extra gun. 3.7 is obviously half that. I'm not knocking any case. They all make great products with each having positives and negatives.

I can only speak to our cases with our lifetime guarantee. All 100% made in Italy. We are rated highly on customer service and we stand behind our products. Please call us or email me.

585.905.3161 x102
[email protected]

1 - 20 of 47 Posts