Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this Browning that has the worst wood you ever saw. I have seen GI Garands that look better. I want to spiff this up a little, but not a total refinsh. Need something to enhance what is here, give it a little curb appeal. Who has done something similar and what did you use?

·
Registered
850 Posts
Rub in a couple of coats of Permalyn Sealer (available from Brownells). Gives it that "in the wood" finish with a nice semi-gloss look.

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Tung oil with a little Japan dryer. Wipe on a coat let stand 20 minutes, then wipe off the excess. Let it stand 24 hours, then do the procedure again. 5 to 7 days or until the grain is filled. Then polish and wax. An easy and beautiful finish. I've been doing this for many years for lots of wood projects, including stocks.

·
Supporting Vendor
10,195 Posts
Why not find a really nice piece of English or Turkish walnut and make new pieces? That would be really easy to do in this case.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
shotgun410 solution seems like what I wanted to do. I rummaged through my box of gun show bargains and found something similar. 7 coats looks great. Finish is not as glossy as photo shows, just harsh reflections. I am pleased with the result for not much effort. Thanks to all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.