Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of offering for sale a Ruger .22 target pistol to a neighbor of mine who is getting into pistol shooting. This would be a face to face transaction among neighbors, but not exactly close friends...... just acquaintances. Don't want to take advantage of him, but don't want to give the gun away either.

The pistol is a Ruger .22LR Mark I 5 1/2" Bull Barrel (T512) in original orange/red box with Owner's Manual. It's a one owner gun (me). It has some very slight bluing wear around the muzzle from being pushed down into a stiff leather holster. Other than that it looks almost like new. Functions perfectly and is very accurate. Nice crisp trigger. I bought this gun new in about 1976 or 1977.

I put perhaps 500 rounds through it the first few years I owned it. Since then, it's had maybe another 50 to 100 rounds put through it. I think I've shot two or three magazines of ammo through it in the last 12 years or so.

What would this gun be worth in a face to face transaction? I'm in Florida if that makes any difference.

Thanks,

Easystreet

·
Vendor
4,924 Posts
Grading 100% 98% 95% 90% 80% 70% 60%
5 1/4 in. tapered bbl. $850 $750 $650 $475 $325 $250 $200
5 1/2 in. bull bbl. $425 $350 $300 $250 $200 $175 $150
6 7/8 in. tapered bbl. $425 $350 $300 $250 $175 $150 $135
6 7/8 in. U.S. marked N/A $850 $650 $475 $325 $250 $200
Mike Battista

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Mike.

Based on that, it appears that my pistol would probably fall into the 98% category which is shown as $350.

I'm surprised that the tapered barreled pistols sell for much higher values than the bull barrel. I've always thought that the bull barreled pistols were more desirable for target shooting, but I obviously don't know a lot about handgun values.

Thanks again for the info.

Easystreet

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By the way, does anyone know what the difference is between this Mark I that I have and the new Mark III Ruger pistols being made now? They look the same in a picture, but I haven't examined them or compared them closely.

Thanks,

Easystreet

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
The Mk II added a bolt stop, which the Mk I lacked.

The Mk III added these changes:

Addition of a visible loaded chamber indicator on the left side.

Magazine release moved, from bottom of grip to behind trigger guard.

All Mark III pistols with adjustable sights are drilled and tapped for a Weaver-style scope base which ships with the pistol.

A new magazine disconnect prevents the pistol from being fired with the magazine removed from the pistol.

An internal safety lock has been added. Using a key, the safety can be locked in the "safe" position.

Shorter tapered bolt ears.

A smoothly contoured ejection port profile.

·
Registered
519 Posts
The major difference between the I and II is the location of the mag loader button, and the screw holes. Totally different locations both sides. The mag button was on the right side of the Mark I and on the left side of the Mark II.

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts