Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what is the read regarding the proposed change above?

Gene? (Does it drive more customers to your business? Or make it harder for you to help them? Or, as is usually the case with lawyers, do you just benefit either way?)

(I'm pretty sure this one isn't Bush's fault...but perhaps someone can show me where I missed it).

·
Registered
20,319 Posts
Need VA disability

The VA system is, and has always been, a system designed to frustrate a claimant to the point of going away. The number of veterans with combat injuries who's claims have been delayed and denied are staggering. The number of veterans who have died waiting for their claim to be approved is also staggering and in the case of the death of the veteran the system and the laws are such that his widow and his orphans are left destitute and without any benefits because he wasn't awarded while alive. More hoops to jump through means less 'entitlements' for later budgets to cope with. As it is a permanently and totally disabled veteran is compensated at less than half what a mid level Officer is paid in Base Pay. About what an E-5 gets in Base Pay. Compensation was supposed to keep the vetewran afloat and make up for the lack of earning ability he suffered as a result of his militaty service. The comp is crap and the hoops are many. The system doesn't care and the population doesn't much care either.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Need VA disability

The flip side of flashmax's story is that the system is weighed down with many, many veterans who have no real disability but are looking to squeeze whatever they can out of the system. What they are doing is stealing...from the taxpayer, but more importantly, from the truly needy veterans.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Need VA disability

Combat wounded only? Are you serious? Are you saying that if an aircraft mechanic falls off a maintenance stand or off the wing at an AF base in Texas, breaks his neck, ends up disabled, he should get zilch?

·
Registered
20,319 Posts
Need VA disability

A REMF ( Rear Echelon Mother F..... ) is anyone who had a job that the person slinging the term REMF around thinks was easier or more safe than his. The term was a corruption of the term Rear Echelon Maintenance Facility and the straight leg infantry or the Marine grunt infantry looked back at those assigned support roles as skaters and not 'real' soldiers. They forgot Bataan where clerks, electricians, engineers, radioteletype operators and anyone else who could pull a trigger was an infantryman during those weeks of combat. Today the term has been replaced with another derogotory slander, the FOBBIT ( a person who never leaves the 'security' of the Forward Operatinbg Base [FOB] ) disregarding all else but the need to put another person, or class of persons, into a position lower than ones own.

Let ALL who have written the big check, payable up to and including ones life, be given the respect that commitment deserves. Just because I got a bullethole and metal fragments in my hide doesn't make me any more deserving of VA care than the poor fellow who typed out the requisitions for beans, bullets, and bombs required to keep me able to do MY job. Do I resent the "Garret Trooper", the fellow who was everywhere and did everything from behind his Remington Typewriter? Sometimes. But those who think their service was less than anothers quite often make things up so that they can bee seen in a better light by people they want to impress. They don't know that the fellow who wiped the Elephant's ass has a very sensitive bullshit detector and feels pity for that poor man.

Don T

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Need VA disability

Flashmax, I think the population does care but besides prayers, paying taxes, giving donations to various organizations and signing petitions what else can the 'population' do to help?
In many cases the military is our extended family and friends not just the uninvolved 'population'.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Need VA disability

Try fighting without Rear Echelon.

By the way, no longer WWII or Korea.

I've been on a few bases where the installation was hit by either mortar or rocket incoming and also direct assault (coming through the wire).

One time had FRIENDLY incoming artillery.

So, next time you overload your mouth

·
Registered
776 Posts
Need VA disability

Combat only? Wow! Shear ignorance. YAKMAMAN, hit it right, serving your country, injuring oneself and having a lifetime disability should be compensated. Not all our young men and women in the military are in a direct combat situation, but anyone can unfortunately get injured. Not everyone pushes a pencil

·
Registered
20 Posts
Need VA disability

A injury that is a direct result of combat is rated at a different rate than one that is not combat related .
Combat (Purple Heart) Vets also have a different set of benefits than do non-combat Vets .

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Need VA disability

Oldman, could you provide your reference for the different rates? I see only one VA disability benefit chart.

·
Banned
4,725 Posts
Need VA disability

Wow! Combat Related only! Thank you APrice and grnberetcj for that policy determination. What uniformed Morons! I guess I'll give my 30% back now because of the 2 Agent Orange presumptive conditions that are in my body! Thanks you for the clarification.

blade819

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Need VA disability

Blade, don't lump me in with that. I didn't say anything about combat, just that the system is plagued with abuse. I volunteer one day a week at the local VA hospital and get to see lots of stuff firsthand.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Need VA disability

"Oldman, could you provide your reference for the different rates? I see only one VA disability benefit chart."

Check with your local V.A. .

·
Banned
4,725 Posts
Need VA disability

As big as the system is and as dysfunctional it is, I don't doubt that there are Vets who work it. However, I have such high regard for anyone who is asked by this country to perhaps die for it, I have developed the attitude that I will not accuse or point fingers at them. If they are violating the systems, then let them deal with it when caught. IMO

blade819

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Need VA disability

"Oldman, could you provide your reference for the different rates? I see only one VA disability benefit chart."

Check with your local V.A. .

No such payout oldman... the disability is per the chart.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Need VA disability

APrice is right, the whole VA disability system is over run with fraud and abuse. Here's a statistic to ponder; I read awhile ago that 45% of veterans returning from Iraq and Afghanistan have applied for VA disability benefits.....think about that for a moment. Does anybody really believe that almost HALF of those service men and women who deployed to those war theaters were injured in some way that would justify disability benefits? I can't help but wonder how may of them are basing their claims on PTSD, ol' General George Patton must be turning over in his grave.

·
Banned
4,725 Posts
Need VA disability

Old Cowboy... I can answer your question as far as I'm concerned....yes! In my past life I got to work with US Army Soldiers at Fort Campbell then Fort Carson. My company made the radios and antennas for their vehicles. After hearing what their rules of engagement were (very strict) and the "hidden" adversities that they faced, well I would have rather spent 3 tours in the jungles of Viet Nam than experience what they went through. PTSD is a very real medical condition. Shell shock but now with a psychological title. Look at the suicide rates of returning Veterans. Personally I DO NOT understand how ANY citizen in this country can take a stance such as yours. Sleep safe tonight.

blade819

1 - 20 of 41 Posts