Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just needed to vent guys! Per another thread, gunsmith thread where I needed to install a 6-48 bradleyd front bead, I ordered the part from Brownell's! There price was fine and in line with other sites. Anyway, I ordered and not happy about the shipping costs, ($7.99 for standard) which turned out to not be what I call standard. It was shipped UPS mail innovation method. To make a long story short, it shipped on 16 Nov. It first went to some "innovation" facility in K.C., Mo. on 17 Nov. It then went to Urbancrest, O for God knows what reason but was received on the same date! At that facility, it was received for sort by UPS mail innovation! Next entry on the tracking info was that postage was paid and ready for destination! On 18 Nov, Indianapolis, In received the electronic info and I felt I was getting someplace as I live in Rochester, In! Final entry said package departed UPS mail innovation and was enroute to USPS! Last entry said, delivery date 22 Nov! Well, it did not make it! If nothing else guys, I suggest Brownells would be your last resort if you need a part! After all of this, sure enough, Midway had the same part and the shipping there was $4.99 and probably by mail and a lot faster! Before anyone asks, yes, I notified Brownells of this and my displeasure and advised them that this would be my last transaction with them unless no other option! Tom Rhoads

·
Registered
9,493 Posts
I use Brownells as my last resort. Between their new shipping costs and not giving discounts to FFL's and businesses I send my money elsewhere. I used to spend a fair amount of $$$'s with them.

·
Premium Member
18,261 Posts
I just ordered some stuff from them about 10 days ago, and they sent it by USPO. Got it 2 days ago and in good shape. Yes the shipping is a little high to me. A box half the size of the one they used would have worked well. They had what I needed, so I went with them.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I did their edge program, $ 49.00 for a full year of shipping, free return shipping. Small or big orders, it don't matter. You don't have to wait to get enough stuff together for an order. It works out to just over $ 4.00 per month. They do give discounts, but not on tools.

·
Registered
9,493 Posts
Looking at their latest catalog, #69, and by golly the discounts are back. In the previous catalog, many parts did not show a discount. Tools have always been at list.

Reactions: CharlieAMA

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
The shipping problems are not just Brownells. These co-ops between the shippers have been in every delivery issue I have had.

I order repair parts from all over the country, many different vendors. I can track my parts UPS and they get all the way across the country in a couple days. If they end up getting delivered to the Post office, I might not see them for another week, or more. The funny thing is that the parts that start by being shipped by the Post Office get here acceptably, with two day USPS priority stuff usually getting here in 3 or 4 days. The stuff that starts out with UPS and gets delivered UPS gets here fine. My problems start when ever the package switches hands between different shippers.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I have no complaints with Brownells. When I order it's not just one item. There's always something I just have to have. Their tools are top Quality. Good ain't cheap & cheap ain't good.

·
Premium Member
12,020 Posts
I live near Philly. I am typically stunned by Brownell's shipping.

With normal shipping if I order today (a Weds), I'll have it on Fri. Has even gotten here by Thurs. a few times. Tough to argue with that.

·
Registered
29,360 Posts
Brownells does not own UPS, but is at the mercy as other businesses of UPS practices. It is common practice for UPS to use relay shipping, meaning they shorthaul shipments between termini of around 400 miles or less.

Moving a shipment between Columbia Mo and Denver Co for example many mean that the shipment would go from Chicago to Kansas City, (one day) Kansas City to Topeka, (one more day) Topeka to Denver (one more day). For every leg of the trip, the trailer is unloaded, shipments resorted, reloaded and re shipped on another trailer. It is done this way, because of the diverse number of shipments from from every city to every city in the country.

If for example Midway gave a full trailer load of shipments instead of just 2 or 3 shipments in one day,moving from Columbia MO to Denver, it would still take about 3 days in just moving the full trailer from origin to destination without breaking the trailer down in transit. Upon arrival at the Denver hub, it would take 12 hours or more to breakdown that trailer and reload all the small shipments to the delivery trucks. Those delivery trucks usually deliver to all commercial businesses during the day and all residential in the afternoon and evening.

FedEx in their beginnings, flew every shipment to Memphis at the end of the business day, reloaded and resorted those shipments then flew them to their destination overnight, out for delivery the next morning. Now FedEx has over the road trucks and trailers and ships more conventionally for larger shipments using terminal to terminal breakdown.

For very small sized shipments, UPS has a contract with USPS to drop off shipments for delivery by the post office to your mailbox. This is a more cost saving method than loading a local delivery with a couple hundred small packaged shipments and making deliveries miles apart as opposed to the post office making deliveries a few feet apart with hundreds of delivery vehicles in a given city.

This is the way of it because of physical realities in our existence. Millions of small packages moving every day over thousands of miles everyday, in thousands of vehicles, handled by a handful of small carriers. There are also many outside factors that effect transit times, weather, package volume, traffic delays due to volume of traffic, road construction, accidents, breakdowns, etc.

If you order a deburring tool for reloading from Brownells, that very small item is not loaded all by itself on a large fright trailer, moved across country and delivered the next day to your door.

Reactions: LadyT

·
Premium Member
12,020 Posts
To further Rick's comment...

There is a LARGE UPS facility at the PHL Airport - makes getting packages here rather easy - and quick.

About five miles from my house there is a large UPS depot (FedEx is around three miles from me), both of these are right off of the PA Turnpike - so trucking is easy too.

Almost immediately next door to the FedEx building is the USPS office that sorts my mail (this is less than two miles from UPS). Thus, if the package arrives via any of these three carriers - whether there is a hand-off to the USPS for final delivery or not - the 'to my door' portion is quick.

·
Registered
29,360 Posts
And now the worse time of the year for heavy shopping has begun.

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Shipping must be a money maker. I was going to order 4 boxes of Eley match 22lr or 200 rounds from a dealer. Shipping was $17.50. Then I checked the shipping for 10 boxes or 500 rounds. Shipping was $18.10. I beginning to think shipping has become a scam. I mean Amazon ships free with a $49.00 order. ERGO: If I can buy it from Amazon, I do. To bad they don't sell Eley Bullets, and shot shell components.......

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
Shipping must be a money maker. I was going to order 4 boxes of Eley match 22lr or 200 rounds from a dealer. Shipping was $17.50. Then I checked the shipping for 10 boxes or 500 rounds. Shipping was $18.10. I beginning to think shipping has become a scam. I mean Amazon ships free with a $49.00 order. ERGO: If I can buy it from Amazon, I do. To bad they don't sell Eley Bullets, and shot shell components.......

Shipping clearly is not graduated fairly across the board. Many places have contracts with shippers where they ship for deeply discounted rates, while another customer pays an inflated rate to make up the difference. Like my mail box is typically 5 pieces of junk mail that pays pennies, a few bills with presort discounted postage, and maybe two letters with full rate, 1st class postage. Then we wonder why postage keeps going up, and they keep loosing money. When you have 10 subsidized fares and only two paying customers, that business model will always fail.

·
Registered
13,408 Posts
Brownells site pretty clearly states 5-7 business days estimated for economy shipping (which does not take into consideration that purchasing items this time of year will take more time) which is what you paid for. You gave them 5 before complaining. Today is seven. Did it arrive today?

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No, but it did come today for 10 calendar days or 8 business days! If $7.99 is economy rate for .2 ounce, I would hate to see what their premier shipping would cost! Tom Rhoads

·
Registered
13,408 Posts
One day late on a holiday week (well not really, since it was technically delivered before 8 business days) not too bad. Kinda hard to sympathize with you on the shipping cost when you knew what it would be before you placed the order.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Between Brownells and Midway, Midway's shipping has been less expensive and faster for me.

Who ever said "time is money" was certainly right. Luckly in my area we have a couple of gunsmiths to check with first.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Appreciate your empathy skeeter but it is still bs! 10 calendar days for $7.99 for .2 ounce! I hope you take better care of your customers! Tom Rhoads

1 - 20 of 38 Posts