Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My uncle just died and left mean m1 garand. I know nothing about this type of a gun. I'm at a loss as how to load it, handle or clean it and what to shoot in it. I do know there are three clips and some ammo but the ammo is on some kind of a strip and 10 rounds on a strip. That does not seem to be able to fit in the clip. The clip looks like it stacks ammo. appreciate any help in the area. I'm a shotgun guy and this baffles me

·
Registered
34,848 Posts
The ten rounds on the strip clip are not intended to be used In a gun. Those “stripper” clips are a method of storing and carrying rounds. A stripper clip is normally used charge a “box” magazine, a type of magazine that is not removable and part of the gun at time of manufactue. i have a FN49 in 30-06 which I can use the stripper clips to charge 20 rounds into the FN49.

Those clips can also be used to charge a removable magazine, but not in an enbloc clip.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
thegca.org is a great resource for all things garand!

·
Registered
28,173 Posts
The ten rounds on the strip clip are not intended to be used In a gun. Those “stripper” clips are a method of storing and carrying rounds. A stripper clip is normally used charge a “box” magazine, a type of magazine that is not removable and part of the gun at time of manufactue. i have a FN49 in 30-06 which I can use the stripper clips to charge 20 rounds into the FN49.

Those clips can also be used to charge a removable magazine, but not in an enbloc clip.

Those stripper clips work on 03-A(x) rifles.

Reactions: acorange

·
Registered
34,848 Posts
Those stripper clips work on 03-A(x) rifles.
And several others, like the SKS and Mosin Nagent.

Were the early BAR’s like WWI generation box magazines or were they always detachable????

·
Registered
28,173 Posts
Start loading so the cartridge is over the tit on the clip. There are 2 tits, one on each side, so if you start on one you will finish on one.
Wood Bullet Gun accessory Metal Fashion accessory

·
Premium Member
13,176 Posts
My uncle just died and left mean m1 garand. I know nothing about this type of a gun. I'm at a loss as how to load it, handle or clean it and what to shoot in it. I do know there are three clips and some ammo but the ammo is on some kind of a strip and 10 rounds on a strip. That does not seem to be able to fit in the clip. The clip looks like it stacks ammo. appreciate any help in the area. I'm a shotgun guy and this baffles me
Careful. Those things are very addictive. :)

·
Registered
28,173 Posts
A Garand? Or an M1 Carbine? Pictures would help.

·
Registered
34,848 Posts
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Drawing

Top. M1 30 carbine
Center. M1 Garand Tanker
Bottom M1 Garand rifle

If a 30 carbine as pictured on top, you can use the stripper clips to load the magazines the carbine uses.

·
Premium Member
12,338 Posts
The only thing I will add is that I think it is pronounced as though it rhymes with "errand."

Not g-RAND

Reactions: charleyj10

·
Premium Member
12,338 Posts
But if everybody pronounces it wrong, does wrong become the right pronunciation?
Philosophically speaking...damned if I know.

But I heard that this is how the name of John Garand, a French Canadian who developed the action, was pronounced.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts