Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have been shooting (mostly hunting and sporting clays) since I was a kid. I have always just taken the gun out of the box and went out and shot. I finally decided to pattern my gun for the first time last week and realized I am shooting 100% high with my 50/50 guns. I just started shooting a Perazzi MX2000S. It has a 14 3/4” LOP and a drop of 1 5/16” at the comb and 1 7/8” at the heel. Here is a picture showing my face placement on the stock. I know you can’t really get an accurate fitment from a picture, but looking for a place to start. <Edited -- You need a few more posts before you can start posting "Want to Buy" type threads. -- V10>

·
Registered
281 Posts
Just for what it's worth , Jeff Meloy's (Understanding Shotgun Stocks for better shooting ) would be a better place to look for answers but with these pictures it sure looks like your
stock is to short for you ! The height of your shooting eye looks to be W A Y above the plane of the rib so , you must be looking down on the rib , which , would make the gun shoot high .
I'm just a novice at fitting someone's gun as I can only reassure My Fit , with relating to Jeff's book for guidance . You might want to do the same ? Good Luck

·
Registered
Winchester Diamond Grade Trap Combo , Browning 725 Pro Trap
128 Posts
I have been shooting (mostly hunting and sporting clays) since I was a kid. I have always just taken the gun out of the box and went out and shot. I finally decided to pattern my gun for the first time last week and realized I am shooting 100% high with my 50/50 guns. I just started shooting a Perazzi MX2000S. It has a 14 3/4” LOP and a drop of 1 5/16” at the comb and 1 7/8” at the heel. Here is a picture showing my face placement on the stock. I know you can’t really get an accurate fitment from a picture, but looking for a place to start. <Edited -- You need a few more posts before you can start posting "Want to Buy" type threads. -- V10> View attachment 1716556 View attachment 1716557
Looks like you need to put at least a 1/4”-3/8” stock spacer between recoil pad and stock.For every 1/4 of spacer lengthens your lop 1” . See what you have now, do the math.
You need a longer lop.
Your nose should be two or three finger widths from your right thumb knuckle. Around 11/2-2 1/2 “ approximately.
Straight Spacers are available form 100 Straight and KickEzz.
Pitch spacers also available if you want to reduce the pitch.
I needed to give my guns zero pitch to fit me correctly.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have no idea what a 50/50 gun is. How a gun shoots is totally dependent on the shooter. Your stock does appear to be too short but it also appears that you are mounting the gun way too far out on your shoulder which would have the same effect and is more likely the shortness cause.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just for what it's worth , Jeff Meloy's (Understanding Shotgun Stocks for better shooting ) would be a better place to look for answers but with these pictures it sure looks like your
stock is to short for you ! The height of your shooting eye looks to be W A Y above the plane of the rib so , you must be looking down on the rib , which , would make the gun shoot high .
I'm just a novice at fitting someone's gun as I can only reassure My Fit , with relating to Jeff's book for guidance . You might want to do the same ? Good Luck
Thanks. I will check out the Jeff Meloy book. I help out with my son's trap shooting team so this would be good knowledge for me anyway. My shooting eye is definitely above the plane of the rib. It is like this on all of my guns (all of which are too short on my). This is why I am shooting high. Thanks for the book recommendation.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like you need to put at least a 1/4”-3/8” stock spacer between recoil pad and stock.For every 1/4 of spacer lengthens your lop 1” . See what you have now, do the math.
You need a longer lop.
Your nose should be two or three finger widths from your right thumb knuckle. Around 11/2-2 1/2 “ approximately.
Straight Spacers are available form 100 Straight and KickEzz.
Thank you for the recommendations. I didn't realize that 1/4" spacer equated to 1" on LOP. This is good to know. I was thinking I needed to go up to like a 15 3/4" gun to get me where I needed to be. I just put a 1" spacer in my Beretta A400 because I was having the same issue with that gun. I haven't had the chance to pattern it again since I added the spacer though. I definitely feels better though.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have no idea what a 50/50 gun is. How a gun shoots is totally dependent on the shooter. Your stock does appear to be too short but it also appears that you are mounting the gun way too far out on your shoulder which would have the same effect and is more likely the shortness cause.
By 50/50, I am referring to my point of impact on the pattern board. My expectation was that the gun should be shooting flat with 50% above and 50% below my intended target. The butt of the gun is in the pocket of my shoulder. I have really wide shoulders. I will look at this too though. Thanks.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Do you have a lot of gap between the beads? That model perazzi should be shooting relatively flat with a figure 8 sight picture. I think your mount is solid

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you have a lot of gap between the beads? That model perazzi should be shooting relatively flat with a figure 8 sight picture. I think your mount is solid
There is not a mid bead on my rib, but if there were, there would be a pretty decent gap.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Thank you for the recommendations. I didn't realize that 1/4" spacer equated to 1" on LOP. This is good to know. I was thinking I needed to go up to like a 15 3/4" gun to get me where I needed to be. I just put a 1" spacer in my Beretta A400 because I was having the same issue with that gun. I haven't had the chance to pattern it again since I added the spacer though. I definitely feels better though.
I believe that if you add a 1/4 inch spacer you will increase the LOP 1/4 inch. Get Mr. Meloy's book to get an understanding of the 3 or 4 to one ratio of thumb to nose distance and LOP

·
Registered
407 Posts
I believe that if you add a 1/4 inch spacer you will increase the LOP 1/4 inch. Get Mr. Meloy's book to get an understanding of the 3 or 4 to one ratio of thumb to nose distance and LOP
I would also look for a stock fitting book by Rollin Oswald. Get them both,they will help with your new shooters and explain some of the differences in getting women started with a gun that fits them. As for your stock a couple of cardboard spacers will give you some idea of how a longer stock feels at no cost.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Something else that might be interesting to You ? Look for Neil Winston's thoughts and experiments of POA for your POI , loads of info ! And Have fun

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
How you mount the gun, and where you position your head, is just as important to know as anything else. OP looks like he is "crawling" the stock, rather than adopting the "heads up" style. There is nothing wrong with either, as long as it is done consistently!!

here are two of the world's best.

Michael Diamond, a "stock crawler"

Kim Rhode

Having said all that, the stock OP is using does look too short. I'd stick a bunch of folded cardboard between the wood and the pad and shoot a few patterns and a few rounds and see how it goes. I would suggest 1/2" at least.

It also depends on your stance-a square stance (shoulders square facing the trap) will need a different LOP than a stance with shoulders in line pointing at the trap.....

·
Registered
281 Posts
How you mount the gun, and where you position your head, is just as important to know as anything else. OP looks like he is "crawling" the stock, rather than adopting the "heads up" style. There is nothing wrong with either, as long as it is done consistently!!

View attachment 1716640

Kim Rhode

View attachment 1716641

Having said all that, the stock OP is using does look too short. I'd stick a bunch of folded cardboard between the wood and the pad and shoot a few patterns and a few rounds and see how it goes. I would suggest 1/2" at least.

It also depends on your stance-a square stance (shoulders square facing the trap) will need a different LOP than a stance with shoulders in line pointing at the trap.....
You're absolutely Right , these two methods are proof of the pudding , BUT , not for everyone ! Learning to mount the gun in "one move" up to the cheek before pulling it back
to the shoulder pocket ( with a properly fit gun ) is one that takes practice . That in itself will keep the eyes level and allow a better focus of the target but it takes practice !

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

View attachment 1716640

Kim Rhode

View attachment 1716641

I am definitely a "stock crawler". I have tried the more heads up style and it doesn't feel as natural for me (not sure why). I feel like my face is pretty long so in order to have a more heads up style, I would need to mount the gun higher on my shoulder. I really just need more time in the gun to really figure it out. Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just purchased both the books by Jeff Meloy and Rollin Oswald. Thank you for those recommendations.

·
Registered
Winchester Diamond Grade Trap Combo , Browning 725 Pro Trap
128 Posts
Looks like you need to put at least a 1/4”-1/2” stock spacer between recoil pad and stock.For every 1/4 of spacer moves face back in relation to your thumb knuckle 1” . See what you have now, do the math.
You need a longer lop.
Straight Spacers are available form 100 Straight and Kick Eez

1 - 20 of 40 Posts