Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been involved in the shooting sports since I was a young boy and I'm now in my mid-fifty's. I only mention this because although I'm new and fairly ignorant when it comes to Trap I have six shotguns that I have shot at least monthly for years. I have the most rounds through my 1960's era Superposed that I have owned for years.

I'm interested in purchasing a gun exclusively for trap. My budget is in the range of $2K-$2.5K. I've looked for a used BT99 and those I see for sale are in the same range that I could pick up a new, non-glossed walnut stocked BT99. (~$1500-) This one is from Guns Unlimited: BROWNING BT-99 80/20 ADJUSTABLE MONTE CARLO 34" - Guns Unlimited

Is these something about the older BT99's that were superior to new BT99's? (Assuming the same features, Gracoil system, etc.)

I also have located a Broadway Trap that has been re-dome by Art's Gun Shop for slightly over $2K.

Advice is welcome and thank you in advance.

·
Registered
32,285 Posts
Word is the trigger parts on newer BT's are inferior metal, ugly wood.

Another thing to consider is the machine engraving on the older ones and absence on the newer ones, laminate wood, etc. Low ribs are common on the older ones and most were flat shooters. Some years they had larger fore ends instead of the flat beaver tails. Seems most prized is the BT-99+ with adjustable rib, choke tubes, adjustable comb, rear pad mounted on a factory installed recoil reducer and the BT100 that came in blue and stainless, high rib, choke tubes, adjustable comb and removeable trigger group that could be changed to preform extract or eject of the hull.

Watch for worn lugs on the bottom of the barrel. Quite a common wear point.

Reactions: oleolliedawg

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Browning has done its best to keep their standard grade BT-99 affordable and maintain a profit. Earlier guns benefited from a time when embellishments and attention to details were affordable in the manufacturing process. Like everything inflation drove costs higher causing Browning to change their approach to what the BT could be and still be an affordable value as its always been. Gone are ejectors replaced by extractors, gone are the engraving embellishments on the receiver, gone the rich bluing, gone is the forearm compression bolt replaced by two screws in the forearm. What remains is a great shooting shotgun a target breaking "tool" its always been at an affordable price.

Surfer

·
Administrator
8,662 Posts
Ultimately you have to look at what your needs are as your budjet would accommodate quite a few different choices. If your are planning on shooting doubles then definitely look at the Citori O/Us. If you are really just looking for a purpose built single bl. take a good look around esp. at a used Ljutic Mono-Gun as they are in your price range along with the BTs. Myself I would really want to try befor I buy so if you are in a area where your local shotgun club has members that are selling or willing to let you try thiers definitely take a good look at the various makes and models. To me a adjustable comb with quality hardware would be important to me on what ever choice I make. BTW the GunsUlimited Brownings are very nice.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
I like the Browning BT-99 with 34 inch barrel Monte Carlo stock and Gra coil system. Great Value. Lots of enjoyment for a good price. One of the most reliable guns on the market.

Tom

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Whatever you do, don't buy a used Ljutic Mono-gun. Even though you can get one completely rebuilt for just under $1k, it's going to take away some of your pleasure. I bought a really nice one just over a year ago. Part of the enjoyment of this sport was thinking about other guns, always looking at other guns, trying out other guns.......that's all gone now. With the Ljutic in my hands, there's simply no point.

Reactions: bossbasl

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for the much valued advice. I've already recognized a site member who let me shoot his Ljutic a few weeks ago at Portland Gun Club. In the next week or two I'll go ahead and pull the trigger on a Citori XT or a BT-99 with 34 inch barrel Monte Carlo stock and Gra coil system. ~$2600.- for the Citori and ~$1800.- for the BT99.

You guys are a wealth of information.
Regards,

·
Registered
22 Posts
I own one of those 80/20 BT99's with the 34" , adjustable comb and gracoil from Guns Unlimited. I am very satisfied with my decision , its simple , affordable and will break all the targets you are capable of shooting. I needed a shooter and that's what I got..................good luck

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Another vote for the Browning XT. Make sure you get one with the adjustable comb. An adjustable butt pad is a major plus. Gun fit is everything.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Cabellas is running a sale on the beretta 686 onyxpro trap right now for 2499.99.. its a lot of gun for the money, its new and will be fitting for singles, doubles and handicap. And you can always look into top single or unsingle barrels for it later.. i shoot a 90t and a 686 onyx pro trap.. i just wish i picked up the beretta earlier. Best of luck and break em all..

·
Registered
201 Posts
Bought my Browning from Guns Unlimited.

Ordered it on a Wednesday afternoon and had it in my hands Friday morning, Nebraska to Michigan.

Great price and great guys to deal with.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Probably the best buy today in new gun is the Citori Crossover. You can buy a new one for around$ 1800.00 and shoot about all shooting sports with it. You may want to add a adjustable comb.

·
5,388 Posts
Add another thumbs up! for the Browning XT...

Just acquired a 2009 XT w/adjustable comb... clean @$1800... they're out there... just have to keep your eyes open...

Tremendous value in a shotgun...

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I've been involved in the shooting sports since I was a young boy and I'm now in my mid-fifty's. I only mention this because although I'm new and fairly ignorant when it comes to Trap I have six shotguns that I have shot at least monthly for years. I have the most rounds through my 1960's era Superposed that I have owned for years.

I'm interested in purchasing a gun exclusively for trap. My budget is in the range of $2K-$2.5K. I've looked for a used BT99 and those I see for sale are in the same range that I could pick up a new, non-glossed walnut stocked BT99. (~$1500-) This one is from Guns Unlimited: BROWNING BT-99 80/20 ADJUSTABLE MONTE CARLO 34" - Guns Unlimited

Is these something about the older BT99's that were superior to new BT99's? (Assuming the same features, Gracoil system, etc.)

I also have located a Broadway Trap that has been re-dome by Art's Gun Shop for slightly over $2K.

Advice is welcome and thank you in advance.
I sold my XT last year, I may have to buy it back. I liked to very much.

jack mc

·
Registered
14,893 Posts
You may want to put your current gun on the splatter board first. If you are use to shooting a 60/40 POI and buy a gun that shoots 80/20, you may experience poor scores, get frustrated, and second guess the purchase. An adjustable comb is a must.

If you buy a used gun, compare it's POI on the splatter board before you buy it. Tell the seller that's part of the deal, and you can return it if it's not close to your POI.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts