Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A dear friend of mine has been shooting trap and skeet for years with just 1 arm. He is in his 80's now and it is getting harder for him to lift his bt99. Automatic's are out of the question. reloading is just to hard and so it pump guns. He shoots o/u fine but it is the weight hanging out of the end. Considering going to 20ga just to keep him shooting but the but the best idea I have so far is a savage stevens 301, not exactly a great trap gun. Any idea's would be welcomed

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
What is he shooting now? Possibly have the barrel's shortened and new choke fitted?
A field gun would be lighter, but he would probably have a hard time adjusting to the new POI

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
A thumb hole stock helps a bunch with supporting the weight and controlling the muzzle. My wife was having some issues with her deer rifle and I installed a thumb hole stock for her and it made a huge difference. You could probably find one or have one made for the BT99. You can get a Thompson encore in 12ga with a thumb hole stock as well.

·
Premium Member
5,851 Posts
A dear friend of mine has been shooting trap and skeet for years with just 1 arm. He is in his 80's now and it is getting harder for him to lift his bt99. Automatic's are out of the question. reloading is just to hard and so it pump guns. He shoots o/u fine but it is the weight hanging out of the end. Considering going to 20ga just to keep him shooting but the but the best idea I have so far is a savage stevens 301, not exactly a great trap gun. Any idea's would be welcomed
Possibly a Beretta TR1. Problem is finding one.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
What rickster said. From Clyde Baker Modern Gunsmithing, 1928

Interestingly the grip & trigger are far in front of the locks which should help a great deal with the balance

·
Registered
31,639 Posts
Need some sort of sling that would attach to his belt and slip over his shoulder to support the fore end.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
It appears that a longer barrel would not prevent conversion of an 870 to a bullpup configuration? The barrel hanger is set up for a longer magazine tube though.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Bullpup would be a way to go. Weight is aft in the butt. I shoot a Tavor X95 rifle which tips the scales at 8 lbs+. You can hold it out with one arm like a pistol and shoot it easily. There are many bullpup conversion kits for Mossberg and Remington shotty’s.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I wonder if a butt hook like used on rifles would help. It seems it would help by leverage. He could use more force holding up the gun instead of up AND firmly against the shoulder.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Might want to take a look at the BT-99 Micro Plus as well. Shorter barrel and stock. Could put the thumb hole stock on it if needed. Or just get a shorter barrel for the one he has. BT’s Micro Plus’s are pretty light and fully adjustable.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Arnold Reiger did some outstanding shooting with a Winchester Model 37. Simmons would love to put a vent rib on it and stock could be modified to trap configuration. I hope he keeps shooting!!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the 37 is a fine single shot as well, I bet we can find 1 around here somewhere, I hadn't thought of that model

1 - 14 of 14 Posts