Trapshooters Forum banner
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
My thoughts, and my request, is for a skeet gun, an old 28" O/U made by Nikko. I have two trap guns, KX 6 S and a 682 Gold E for doubles that are just fine the way they are without porting. Skeet and 5 stand is a different story. The very good shooters all seem to shoot ported barrels.
Don't do it because it costs money to have it done and when you decide to sell the barrel you will loose several hundred dollars because of the porting. Just my opinion

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
When porting was all the rage, I ordered a new 390 with factory porting...and quickly realized it was all a scam...the muzzle became loud as a howitzer and my wallet was much lighter.

Sold the ported barrel and replaced it with a non-ported one...and lived happily ever after...!
What shell's do you shoot? I can not tell the difference in the noise level between my ported and unported guns. Could be I shoot 1145's at everything.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
What shell's do you shoot? I can not tell the difference in the noise level between my ported and unported guns. Could be I shoot 1145's at everything.
I'm the same. Barrel length makes more difference than porting as far as sound to my ears. Maybe people complaining need better hearing protection.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you shoot skeet, go ahead, since I don't shoot skeet, so it.does not affect me, porting is a good way to throw shells/Clay's money on something more esthetic than productive, I have many ported and non ported semi and o/u and I see no difference on the POI or recovery time for 2nd shoot on double trap or sporting clays, my personal opinion it's a waste of money to make your gun look fancy.

Think on it like, "the guy" having a loud pipe or audio system on a car car that we all "love' to be next to him on the expressway or even worst stoped on a traffic light.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
[QUOTE="oldshotgunner, post: 8724871, member: 123161"]

The very good shooters all seem to shoot ported barrels.

Ask when your a good shooter.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
When porting was all the rage, I ordered a new 390 with factory porting...and quickly realized it was all a scam...the muzzle became loud as a howitzer and my wallet was much lighter.

Sold the ported barrel and replaced it with a non-ported one...and lived happily ever after...!
Ill ask again

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Typical 12-gauge shotgun target loads seldom exceed 10,000 to 12,000 units of pressure. See where this is going?
Ed
Ed, Try holding on to a hose with 10,000 units of pressure. After its yanked from your hand and slaps you silly you will realize there is still quite a bit of energy pushing the opposite direction of discharge.

On second thought start out with only a couple hundred units of pressure. 10.000 will kill you and it would be my fault for suggesting it.

Trust me I'm a rocket scientist:LOL:

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
My experience is not empirical, just visual. I had a Mirage w/sietz type porting. I shot pigeons with it and occasionally doubles. Shooting trap loads the porting would have a lot of buildup and plugging. Shooting pigeon loads (most of which are in the 4dr equiv) there was never a speck of crap in the porting. I think the pressure is the issue. 10k lbs of force vs 70k in a rifle is why it's so noticeable in hi velocity rounds. Regarding doubles trap most of you are already moving upward. I don't thing the extra partial second of time it would gain you is irrelevant.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Dear OP

You really don't need porting.

You only THINK you need porting.

Once you have the barrels ported and you change your mind...it's too late to un-port them.

The rest of us who shoot near you will appreciate your un-ported barrels immensely.

Regards,
All of the shooters who realize porting is a waste of money.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts