Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just need to get your opinion on a crimp and if it needs improvement your advise. The hull is a 16ga Federal using 24.5grns of Longshot, Z16 Wad and 1 1/8oz payload. I had a heck of a time trying to get a similar load with Cheddite hulls, but no luck. So, I'm trying this one out. The crimp is a bit dished, not terrible, but if I adjust the final crimp the crimp is flat across. If I use a OS card, the flair on the ridge won't allow the hull to chamber well, very tight. This shell chambers just great.

So....does it look ok to you and will the slight dish effect the performance of the load?

Thanks so much as always!

Greg

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Looks ok to me. But then my standards may be a little low. If it does not have a hole that leaks pellets and does not open up after a while it is ok. I actually prefer a little dished in especially with Federal hulls.

Jason

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I would shoot it. Only way to tell if its going to affect performance is to take 3 and pattern them and see what it looks like.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
I don't see the issue. You are wayyyy overthinking this one.

Shoot it!!!

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Greg, on a serious note, I am sure it will shoot just fine. The crimp depth looks light to me, but I am no expert. I believe the going scientific standard is about a dimes depth, which this looks like it does not make. Just need all the parts and pieces to not rattle too much, dish won't hurt things much at all.

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
As long as the crimp does not look like a bowl full of grapefruit segments it will do just fine.
The shell looks great and I bet you will be happy with the performance....... Larry

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
No it does not have the .055 crimp. Now how will it shoot Great. I throw all the loads that I think are not correct in a Box marked Practice and I shoot better scores with them than my regular loads. I would guess I'm trying harder since I think I have a shell not up to speed.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Okay, here's the real measurement. How do these compare to Federal factory loads? Real close? I'll bet right on. I'd worry more about getting a supply of reloadable hulls than whether this crimp is perfect or not ----

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
gjw

If your loader is able to put a slight taper on the finished hull, I would adjust for that. It helps the shell feed a little better, especially if being used in a pump or auto shotgun.
Looks pretty good otherwise.
John

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
To my knowledge, that is what Federal 16-20-28ga - 6 point hulls crimp looks like. The Federal 8 point crimps are a lot rounder and smoother. Bill

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Greg, on a serious note, I am sure it will shoot just fine. The crimp depth looks light to me, but I am no expert. I believe the going scientific standard is about a dimes depth, which this looks like it does not make. Just need all the parts and pieces to not rattle too much, dish won't hurt things much at all.
I agree with Didreckson.

If you can set the crimp depth a little deeper fine, if not that's fine also. If it fits a little tight going in the chamber set the taper a little deeper. Look for wrinkled shells if you do. If you get wrinkled shells go back up on the taper die.

The shell looks good as is.

Reactions: RickN

·
Registered
531 Posts
I am new to reloading shotgun shells....waiting on my press now but I have read multiple times about wrinkled hulls...would somebody have a pic of what a wrinkled hull after loading looks like for reference.

Reap

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
To my knowledge, that is what Federal 16-20-28ga - 6 point hulls crimp looks like. The Federal 8 point crimps are a lot rounder and smoother. Bill
I agree with Bill. Federal Plastic shells where always "different".. At one time the factory 16's had a drop of wax in the center of the crimp.......

1 - 18 of 18 Posts