Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Sponsors a Reloaders for Youth Program
11,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A generous fellow shooter from the great state of Texas sold me a scooter for shipping costs to IL. My son built a new plywood platform for it and moved on to other things. Just lately he picked up the project and got the scooter to run. He found new gas lines and a new primer bulb for the carburetor at Home Depot. The pull cord housing was broke off so he used a wide drill bit for wood to spin the motor and finally got it to fire. He's been having a ball with it ever since. He also patched a leaky gas tank with hot glue. This has been a great project for my son and his best friend from down the street. Every time I step in to help, he says 'no' and takes it back. Perfect.

We need a new project. I guess this post is for more local shooters that may know me, but not necessarily, as you can see from above - what have you got that's broken that you want fixed?

Thanks,

Joe

joekuhn_2008_0303211.jpg

·
11,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Doesn't have to be transportation oriented. It can be household/lawn based, run on gas or electricity. Even if you feel there's no value in something, he will take things apart to see how it works. Something as small as a curling iron that doesn't work can be interesting. Yesterday we discussed the difference between 2 stroke motors and 4.

Give me your junk. Well, not just any junk, I mean junk machines. We're not building a cathedral of junk. Hah!

Cath_11.jpg

View attachment images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRGYcrlE2n2T13qS0xSWkr-vGWjijSX4h_EmUHSJLBfO9GE_SqK

·
Registered
572 Posts
How about battery packs for cordless drills? I think you can buy new cells and resolder together? I don't know, just heard there is some way to fix what you have without buying new. I have several that need fixing.

·
11,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
new loader, We'd be happy to give it a try. PM sent.

My daughter's friend has a 99 LaSabre with a few problems so we are working on that. The lights over the license plate were out and she got a warning ticket. We had to take the entire brake light panel off in order to get to those two bulbs. It's no wonder the shop wanted $200 to replace them. The fasteners on the light housings would not back out so we pulled them with a pliers. We live down the street from the Midwest regional NAPA store and they were very helpful finding replacements. See link above for solution. Next we'll work on the broken review mirror.

·
Banned
3,881 Posts
Joe,

I'm only gonna say this once......1 Electrolux Canister Vacuum Cleaner(sorta busted)+a piece of plywood+4 automobile tire inner tubes+165 lbs. of craziness=1 Bad Hover-Craft.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Get him a lawn mower that doesn't run. I learned many mechanical skills keeping lawn mowers running as a 13-14 year old. The only draw back is the cost of parts, I used to scavenge for most that I used for replacements.

Tom Frazer

·
11,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good ideas - will pass along to my 15 year old. Thanks.

Found the mirror (glass only) for the LaSabre at O'Reilly's for $9. Then we have a tail light out in same car. This could turn into a career - for him.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts