Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If the manufacturer of new guns (O/U's in particular) would manufacture and set up the guns for easy insertion of release trigger parts, they would sell a lot more guns. As it is, every time I even think about buying a new O/U, I have to mentally add about $600 (counting shipping costs) to the price of the gun. This discourages my new gun buying.

I believe that manufacturers could slightly modify the hammers and predrill and thread holes in the frame to accommodate the easy installation of release hooks. They could also sell these release hooks and recommend that a gunsmith install them. I think this would cut the cost of release triggers by half or more and make the guns easier to sell. Even if the buyer didn't plan to use release triggers, it would make the gun more valuable and easier to resell if it was already set up for easy installation of release triggers.

A good example is the new Tristar TT-15 DT O/U with adjustable rib and adjustable comb which sells new for about $1,000. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I could get release triggers installed for an extra $100 or so, but the idea of spending an additional 60% ($600) of the new gun price just to get the gun so that I could shoot it is a serious impediment to my purchasing of the gun.

Many other guns fall into this same category. I'd probably own twice as many O/U's if I didn't have to spend an extra $600 or more on each one of them just to shoot them a little to find out if I like them and want to keep them. Trying out a gun at some big shoot is not the same thing as owning and shooting it for a couple of months.

Easystreet

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just don't think that drilling a few holes at the factory is going to increase the cost of the guns that much but it would certainly simplify the installation of release triggers by quite a bit. If it's done while the parts are being made, we're talking only a few dollars per gun.

Many guns are made with features like adjustable combs, adjustable ribs, and ported barrels which a lot of shooters don't want, but on some guns you can't buy them any other way. Also, many guns come with a full set of screw-in choke tubes even though a lot of shooters won't use more than one or two of them, but you have to pay for them whether you want them or not.

Easystreet

·
Registered
14,112 Posts
If it were just a matter of drilling a few holes, it wouldn't cost $600+ to have them installed aftermarket...

Often release triggers utilize different hammers, different sears, different springs, ect. So to offer guns ready-made to accept releases would involve additional parts which all need to be fit to the specific gun. The ONLY way for your idea to be feasible would be to include all the necessary parts for pull and release with EVERY gun, and it won't be a penny less than you're paying now.

Kolar and Krieghoff as as "release ready" as any gun on the market (Krieghoff doesn't need much more than the hooks, fitting and adjustment if you have current gen hammers, and kolar just needs release hammers), and it still costs about the same to convert them from pull as it does for any other o/u.

So basically you'll end up just rolling what you pay for release triggers aftermarket into EVERY gun up front, when the VAST majority of shooters have no need or interest.

I certainly don't want to pay a penny more for a gun because it is release-ready, because I have no need for one.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Easystreet ......I sure don't want to rain on your parade but just run your idea through the gun manufacturer's legal department first. Uh, ain't gonna ever get an approval. Fun to envision that meeting though.

Ernie

·
Registered
181 Posts
That was what I was going to say, Liability cost. That is one of the reasons you pay more for guns that are set up with factory release triggers. There is a lot more liabilty insurance cost for release triggers than pull triggers. My liability insurance for my gunsmithing is high because I work and build release triggers. If I did gun work with out any trigger work the price is not to bad but if you work on pull triggers it is about triple and when I tell them I work and install release triggers its about 8 times more. And thats just for my one man operation imagine what it is for Kolar, Kreighoff, and the few other companies that do it

Phillip Crenwelge

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Skeet Man.
On the Kolar guns the trigger assembly first has to be modified from the factory to accept the release hammers.Just changing the hammers on a standard trigger will not work.It still will run about $300 per barrel.Maybe more .You can specify a fast or slow release ,also you can have a little creep put in it.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Alfermann guns come new with both pull and release in the single barrel. Fortunately, I have 2 new ones and several used ones in stock. .....merlyn.......

·
Registered
390 Posts
Skeet Man.
On the Kolar guns the trigger assembly first has to be modified from the factory to accept the release hammers.Just changing the hammers on a standard trigger will not work.It still will run about $300 per barrel.Maybe more .You can specify a fast or slow release ,also you can have a little creep put in it.
Spot on! There is no hook in the standard pull trigger. I think I paid $695.00 to get my Kolar changed over.

·
Registered
14,112 Posts
There is no additional modification. The only other thing they do besides replacing the hammers is they replace the out of battery pawl w/ the release hook. So two hammers, one hook, and fitting and timing.

My point was that kolars and krieghoffs take the least amt of work to convert, but still cost the same as any others.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
You can convert a Remington 1100 to a release for about $150, or get an entire used trigger assembly with a release for about the same price.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There is no additional modification. The only other thing they do besides replacing the hammers is they replace the out of battery pawl w/ the release hook. So two hammers, one hook, and fitting and timing.

My point was that kolars and krieghoffs take the least amt of work to convert, but still cost the same as any others.
That's because they are $10,000 + guns and K and K know they can get $600 for the job even if it's only a $250 job. Not many people who pay $10,000 + for a gun are going to complain about paying $600 for release triggers. That wouldn't cover the sales tax in many places. OTOH, it's a substantial % increase on a $1,500 to $2,000 gun. These are the ones that would benefit most if the release conversion were made less costly.

Easystreet

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Yes; IF you are a bit mechanically inclined! If I am available, or you mail it (the trigger mechanism) to me or Larry, we will change it for you.......no charge. I have helped people convert theirs over the phone.......the only tool you need, is a 1/8inch punch with a tapered point...... Hope this helps. BTW, We will need the parts too, or we charge for making new ones.......m

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes; IF you are a bit mechanically inclined! If I am available, or you mail it (the trigger mechanism) to me or Larry, we will change it for you.......no charge. I have helped people convert theirs over the phone.......the only tool you need, is a 1/8inch punch with a tapered point...... Hope this helps. BTW, We will need the parts too, or we charge for making new ones.......m
What would it cost to convert a pull trigger to release if I sent it to you I have no parts trying to trade for one. Silver Alferman modle

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
And Merlyn is a guy you can trust, despite his awful Mizzurah accent.

He'll make it right.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts