Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old model 12 in 16 gauge that needs refinishing. I don't care that I will not get the $$ out of it when it's sold, I don't intend to ever sell it. This is purely for my pleasure. It has a polychoke on it and I intend to leave it...kind of a tribute to the era in which this gun was made. I'd like to reblue it, go through the action and add a rib. I might even restock it although I'd hate to lose that clasic corncob forend. So, who do you all recommend?

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
For the whole package, I would have Simmon's in Kansas do the job.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I was at Stu Wright's shop last Monday with a 12ga side plate shotgun for them to restore and couldn't have been more impressed. The people there were friendly, knowledgeable and down to earth. I looked at some of their work and it was flawless. I can't wait to get mine back!

Thanks TS.com'ers for the recommendation! Model 12's are their specialty too.

Don Williams

·
Registered
751 Posts
I had Simmons go over a 1914 nickel steel 12 Ga and their work was outstanding.
Added a rib, jeweled the bolt and carrier, went through the action and re-blued. It attracts lookers whenever I bring it out.
Pat

·
Registered
21,599 Posts
Stu is the Model 12 guru. Here is why. This taken from Stu's website.

"Wright's has been in the gunsmithing business since 1973, at that time primarily working on Winchester Model 12's. Some time before that Stu contacted the legendary Herb Orre and asked him if he would teach him the in's and outs of the Winchester. Herb agreed, and a special friendship was born. Stu and Sharon would travel to Ohio many weekends to see Herb and learn the intricacies of not only the Model 12 but the 42, 97, 101, 21 and many different models. After Herbs passing Stu purchased Herb's tooling and parts and it all started."

·
Registered
471 Posts
My cousin has his Dad's '97 riot gun that was bought in the late 50's from the Macon County (Illinois) Sheriff's police.

He wanted it restored & I told him to take it to Stu Wright.

50 years banging around in squad cars, and 30 years as a field gun, the thing was a basket case mechanically & cosmetically.

It came back incredible. Nobody better on Winchester pumps than Stu.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.