Trapshooters Forum banner

Need Info On American Select Powder

3234 Views 11 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Pat Ireland
Does anyone have any good or bad things to say about American Select powder? Thinking of trying it in AA, and Federal plastic hulls. Would like to hear of your experiences and your choice loading recipies for both 16's and caps. Thanks in advance, for your input.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
My favorite powder,
Very clean,which i like in my 391,
excellent burn rate,
great patterns,i even use it with 1 1/16 oz #71/2's
for annies,just smokes em to 2nd gun,and breaks em as far as i can hit em.

· Registered
291 Posts
I have used Am Sel for about 3 years with great results with 18.2 grains in Rem hulls with DR XL1 wads. It is not as clean as Clay dot or Clays, but much cleaner than some other powders. Patterns and results on the range were very good. I also used old AA hulls with the same results.

· Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guy's, but does anyones have any experience loading it in Federal Gold Medal hulls, or Federal Top Gun Hulls? Sure would appreciate any info you care to share.

· Registered
81 Posts
Noodle - I like it and use 20.5 gr AmSel, Fed 209A, 12S0/12S3 clone, 1 oz shot in Fed Papers in a Rem 3200 and Beretta 391. Check Alliant's web site for other loads. Burns clean for me.....

Milt

· Registered
4,172 Posts
I have been using it for years. It is extremely clean, as long as you keep the pressures up. I load STS and Gold Medal hulls. I use Fed209A primers in the GM hulls and there is never a problem. If I use STS209 primers in the STS hulls for slow (1150fps) loads, I get a little bit of smoke and soot when it's cold. Changing to a W209 primer (following load data) cures that.

I like the powder. It is cleaner than any of the Dots, and certainly cleaner than Clays. It is a consistent performer, and that's why I use it. Try some, you have nothing to loose.

· Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mudbug and zzt, thanks for your input. Those Federal paper loads must be real soft! I'll try some of those too, since I have quite a few once fired papers just sitting here. Thanks again!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.