Trapshooters Forum banner

need info on .22 mag & .17HMR

5174 Views 41 Replies 34 Participants Last post by  moparkid17
i am very rifle illiterate - i am coming up short on web searches for an open sight rifle - preferably automatic in .22mag and or .17HMR
originally thot of a ruger rotary clip type but am told they stopped selling ( so im kind of leary -why?)

we are calling out racoons in daylight and most shots are close and quick
ive debated on using a shotgun with buckshot but that does not seem very sporty !!!

any suggestions on mfg and models will be appreciated

wally riebesell 660-744-4115
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Premium Member
15,940 Posts
I have a Tikka t1x in 17 HMR a stunning round in a stunning rifle. This is a bolt gun, but if I was told I could own only one rifle - this would be a strong contender...

Few companies make 22 mags or 17 HMR in semi-autos - just too hard to get them to run right/reliably. Ruger did make a 22 mag but the aluminum receiver just did not hold up. They toyed with 17 HMR but walked that one back as well.

Some of the high-end 10/22 builders have made a 22 mag out of steel - might be worth looking at, but they are pricey. If you go this route drop me a line - I have a Butler Creek carbon-fiber barrel for a 10/22 in 22 mag I can send you.

CZ made a semi-auto in 22 mag as well - haven't seen one in a while - not sure if it is still in production.

I will say the 22 mag is one of the loudest rounds I have ever fired - not sure why. The 17 HMR is based on the same case, but sounds nothing like the 22 mag- I have no idea why.

· Vendor
8,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
who are the high end builders ?

Reactions: Chance McCall

· Registered
1,046 Posts
I have the Henry in 17HMR and I like it. It's very accurate and made in the USA. The only hiccup I found is that it won't chamber the polymer tipped rounds reliably. At least mine won't. Stick with lead tips and it's a great gun.

· Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Savage A17, available in 17HMR and now in 17HM2 also. Voltquartsen and Alexander Arms (Ar15 style) also make .17HMR semi-autos, but they are a lot more money. If you are amenable to other actions (bolt and lever), your choices open up. As mentioned, at close range, a .22LR HP should also do the job although the 17s would make ricochet less likely (e.g. working relatively close to livestock).

· Registered
1,061 Posts
Raccoons can be killed with .22 LR’s as everyone has said, but why do you want a rim fire? Raccoons can be pretty big and I always found my .22-250 did a great job with headshots (obviously) and body shots. If they are close (under 40 yards), my choice would be a shotgun, I would use a heavy load of #4’s, but I’ve killed them with 7 1/2’s close up, also.

· Just getting by.....
2,032 Posts
We shoot the one the hounds have treed and at night with a spotlight. A beater .22 works for us.

In the daylight, why not a air rifle?

· Registered
1,107 Posts
My Savage 93 in .17HMR is my go-to for woodchuck, raccoons, rabbits & squirrel. It’s got a great two-stage trigger. But usually used beyond 75 yards. Closer and I’d probably grab a .22Mag or LR.

· Premium Member
60 Posts
I’ve always used .22LR for raccoon. Less damage to the hides. For out of the box accuracy and semi-auto the Ruger 10/22 is about as good as it gets.

If you want a cheaper bolt action rifle that’s very accurate, I’ve found a Marlin model 25 I super accurate. It’s also available in a .22Mag.

I have an old Bolt action Ranger for sale on a couple classifieds right now. It’s long barrel and very accurate. Be a good gun for that.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.