Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am a college student looking for information on the Model 1000 (waterfowler, trap and super) for a research paper I am writing. I am looking for any information or people I can contact regarding the Model 1000. I am looking for information on how many were sold in the 80's, how many were produced, what the resale value is currently, issues with the model 1000, thoughts on the gun etc... Any information would be much appreciated as well as resources/people to contact and look into. Thank you very much any help would be much appreciated .

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
The gun was made in Japan for S&W by a company called Howa. I only have experience with one and it was a Super model I cleaned up and sold for a widow friend. There is a rubber washer/buffer that turns to a gooey mess when exposed to solvents In some ways it was ahead of its time. Hand checkered with palm swells on both sides of the grip. There is a disconnect mode in the trigger plate that prevents the hammer from falling when the trigger assembly is out of the gun preventing the mouse trap action that can occur with the 1100 and 870 triggers. This was a skeet gun and I believe the barrel had the old Tula type muzzle with slot type porting. We found a 30" VR full choke barrel for it as it was to be used as an entry level trapgun. I felt it was ahead of its time but its hard to beat the Remingtons of that time. We sold it for $350 and the extra barrel cost $85.00..

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Part of going to college is learning how to do research. I googled s&w model 1000 shotgun, and got 59,000 hits. Dig in and get started.
Mark (retired teacher)
Seriously! I wish I had it this easy when I was in college! No wonder millennials can't find jobs! They have degrees, but haven't learned anything!

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
I am going to assume that the OP knows about Google and posted here in hopes of receiving from first hand feedback. For that he is to be applauded, not chastised.

·
Sky Buster
3,961 Posts
I am going to assume that the OP knows about Google and posted here in hopes of receiving from first hand feedback. For that he is to be applauded, not chastised.
Contact Roy Jinks, the Smith & Wesson historian. Also, the "Standard catalog
of Smith & Wesson" 4th edition by Jim Supica is a great reference. The shock
absorber (rubber washer) that disintergrated was corrected after the first
couple years of production.

·
Registered
79 Posts
It might interest you to know the the early production S&W pump shotguns were also a model 1000 (1000P). I ordered one of the first ones with a fixed choke. It caused confusion when I later ordered a barrel with choke tubes - the shop I purchased from ordered a barrel for the auto instead of the pump. That was the first time I noted the pump model number had changed to 3000.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Knowing about the history of a shotgun probably won't get him a job. Learning how to do the process of researching an issue, and solving a problem is the skill that will be valuable in earning a living. Hopefully asking the question on a forum isn't the primary avenue he is using to write his paper. Trapshooters.com would rank right up there with Wikipedia as a reference source! :)

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I do have a 1000T model which has a steel receiver, a 30 inch solid high rib barrel with winchokes. Has a monte carlo stock with a glossy finish. JM

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
My take is,

When S&W decided to get into the shotgun market they had to either blaze their own trail or copy models that where old enough to be able to avoid infringing on pattents.

Their first step was to buy what remaind of the the NOBLE Firearms company. If anybody remembers the S&W m916 It was made to S&W quality on basic design that was bottom if the heap engineering.

To overcome this first mis-step they then went over seas to a good firm. And had them do a reverse engineer of 10 to 20 year old designs. The results where a shotgun that was pleasing to the eye, and actually feels great to handle!

The problem was that the gas system inside the magazine tube was already proven to obsolete and the shotguns it had to compete with on the market had

A simpler more reliable gas system.

But even if that was not the case

When you do a side by side comparison of the guns that use the same style of gas management parts. The Rem 58/878 and the Win 1400 the design's that it was reverse engineered from. Those systems are more robust and less liable to miss place parts out if then the S&W model 1000. Those competitors had been in the market for 10 to 20 year's before it and the Remington products had already been replaced by the 1100 One tuff act to follow!

So while a working m1000 is a fine shotgun! Now at least for my small shop you get to the next problem! PARTS! By this I mean gas system parts! In the past 20years everyone of these fine guns that I see not functioning is missing gas system parts! Find those parts and they become a working shotgun! So find those parts, easier said then done!

My 2 cents on why the S&W shotgun is a fine but orphaned design, somewhat flawed from it's beginning, well made, but 20 years behind,

I know there will be more detailed information to be found.

·
Banned
899 Posts
I had a conversation just yesterday with someone about these guns. I owned a one time 10 of the 1000s Super Skeet models, many of them new in the box. I also had one of the 1000T trap models. I LOVED shooting the 1000s Super Skeet. That's where my username originated from. That gun was also made with the Mossberg name on it. I had 2 of those, one in 12ga and one in 20ga.

Been a while since I had these, but there's an outfit somewhere in Texas that has many of the parts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts