Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Sponsors a Reloaders for Youth Program
11,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The musty smell is back and Holga started the job, so I've got to finish it and do it right this time. Last time I got this far and scoured the inside top of outer plastic drum. You can see some new crud there on the left, but it smells down inside. I think there's something else in the bottom of that outer drum or maybe between the walls of the inner drum. Problem is getting the agitator out so I can take the inner drum out.

joekuhn_2008_0303213.jpg

·
11,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
There's nothing else to take out from the top of the agitator. Looks to be a major operation from underneath. Maybe I would be better off cleaning what I can reach and bleaching the daylights out of it.

joekuhn_2008_0303214.jpg

·
11,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's actually three drums in this Kenmore Heavy Duty 90 Series.

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
I wonder if the cleaning solutions for hi efficiency washer would work?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
My son did some research on this problem.It has to do with the New Low water machines.Apparently using the Liquid HD soaps is the main cause for machine and clothing smelling,especially dark colors.Powder soap is better and doesn't create the bad odor.However,if you use the powder then you must occassionally run the clean and rinse machine cycle which is on the newer machines.Don't know if this will help,but it's worth a try before running for a New machine.You'll notice the Newer machines do NOT have a large agitator in them,if they hace one at all.

Doug H.(pa)

·
11,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Doug. I showed your post to Holga and she says the powdered soap is certainly worth a try. We'll see how it works. I put a half size bottle of bleach in with a low water setting to try to freshen it up some. Kind of like treating the kids swimming pool with bleach when they were little.

Thanks again.

Joe

·
Premium Member
6,713 Posts
Ive read that its due to the removal of phosphate in the soap. There are cleaners at the market that are made for this problem in dishwashers/washing machines.especially the new front loaders.

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Speaking of the new low water machines and smells, we have a front loader that can get a bit smelly, especially if a load of wash gets overlooked for a couple of days in it. This is a common issue with front loaders.

Between washes we leave the door open to dry and air out the drum assembly. This helps prevent musty smells.

And if we do get musty smells, that's the time when we'll run a load of whites or dishtowels through the sanitary cycle, which uses very hot water via an internal water heater. If anyone contemplates a low water front loader, pay the extra and get the sanitary cycle option.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
How does anyone leave washed clothes in a machine for a couple of days?

Eric

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Wife used to get a musty smell once and awhile. She started making her own laundry soap with her special ingredients, problem solved. I don't know what she uses, she looks like a mad scientist hovered over a brew of bubbly and green. I do know she uses Borax in it somehow.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Many agitators are a snap fit over a plastic spline that is replaceable.
Mine is a GE machine and many are designed the same way.

There are special tools made to pop them out sort of like a gear puller.

I have taken an old belt slid it under the agitator and given it a sharp yank and out pops the agitator. Mine has many little fingers or tabs that made it a snap fit.

Once the agitator was off it exposed a center bolt that held on the replaceable part with splines that couples it to the shaft to operate.

YMMV

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
There is a bladder you can buy that slips under the agitator then hooks up one of your fill hoses ...turn the water on pops the agitator off!! All Washers run a cup of vinegar in the hot cycle, large load.... once a month....no cloths... it works.

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
<i>"How does anyone leave washed clothes in a machine for a couple of days?"</i>

Because, contrary to popular belief, I'm not perfect.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
The use of a cup of vinegar is a good idea not only for the washer but also for the dish washer as well. It's a gods way to loosen up calcium deposits. But, I would reun the washer with a couple of cups of bleach and hot water. That should kill off the musty smell.

Good luck Joe. Your wife and my wife sound allot alike.........

John Semprini

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
Joe, if you took out a hex bolt the agitator is probably just stuck. Soapy water and galvanized metal leave a mess in that area.

I have no problem removing the Kenmore (Whirlpool) agitator.

Try the link for parts diagrams and repair help.

HM

1 - 17 of 17 Posts