Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

There are so many recoil pads that I'm not sure where to start and would appreciate opinions on which pads are effective in reducing recoil.

I have a Caesar Gureini 12 ga sporting (Magnus Sporting). I'm also interested in it being shorter to reduce my LOP a bit.

Thanks!

Reactions: Troutbum60

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Shorter and more recoil absorbtive?
You said it's a sporting stock? For trap?
You're wasting your time, buy a trap stock and have it cut short enough that you can install a 1" pad.
Or PFS, or one of the many other pogo-stick stocks.

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
7,735 Posts
Micro cell. About half the price of a kickeeze and much softer, easier to grind, almost weightless and just all around the best pad I've ever used.
Check out Hastings for more information...

·
Registered
618 Posts
I believe that Limbsaver pads are the best at reducing felt recoil.
I have recommended them and installed them for many customers and after installation shooting their guns thanked me for
making their guns much softer to shoot.

CT

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Shorter and more recoil absorbtive?
You said it's a sporting stock? For trap?
You're wasting your time, buy a trap stock and have it cut short enough that you can install a 1" pad.
Or PFS, or one of the many other pogo-stick stocks.
Yes, it's a sporting stock and I have been using it for Trap and after shooting a club member's Fabarm RS12 trap, it made a huge difference in how much I was hitting. I instantly went from a 19 ave to 22s. A buddy called it "new gun syndrome." But then I shot it the next day for 200 rounds and I was still hitting so much better.

So I'm relegating the CS to Sporting Clays and now looking for a dedicated Trap shotgun. I loved the Monte Carlo Stock and high rib.

Still, I'd like to lessen the recoil on this CS.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome, thanks for the several suggestions, I'll check into them. I just started shooting trap about 4 months ago, so it's a whole new world for me.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Yes, it's a sporting stock and I have been using it for Trap and after shooting a club member's Fabarm RS12 trap, it made a huge difference in how much I was hitting. I instantly went from a 19 ave to 22s. A buddy called it "new gun syndrome." But then I shot it the next day for 200 rounds and I was still hitting so much better.

So I'm relegating the CS to Sporting Clays and now looking for a dedicated Trap shotgun. I loved the Monte Carlo Stock and high rib.

Still, I'd like to lessen the recoil on this CS.
Then have it cut short enough to install a full size pad.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Pachmayr pad last for years, Kick Eze pad will tear come apart in less than a year. Pads weight on Pachmayr decelerator 2 oz and a Kick Eze is 6 oz. That's why I install Pachmayr pads.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Take a look at the new Pachmayr XLT trap pad. I just put one on my Kolar and like it. This pad grind much better than Kick-Eez or Limb saver and is just as soft.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the suggestions and why they would be good choices. If anyone else has suggestions and why, I’d appreciate that too.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions and why they would be good choices. If anyone else has suggestions and why, I’d appreciate that too.
For Clay's it depends on whether or not you're shooting premounted or not.
If you could learn how to grind to fit, and mount the pad yourself,y could buy two or three different types, brands of pads and then experiment. What works for someone here online, may not work for you. You're going to have to get one try it, and if it doesn't work for you, then get another and try it. And so on.
I carry a shoebox full of various pads with me when I go to a shoot.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks bsd,

For Trap I'm shooting pre-mounted of course, but for Sporting Clays I'm shooting from a low mount. The difference is only in the shape of the heel? Or is there some other difference?

I'm sure I can figure out how to grind to fit.

I love the suggestion of multiple pads for fit and lessening recoil. The stock pads seem pretty hard.

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
I believe that Limbsaver pads are the best at reducing felt recoil.
I have recommended them and installed them for many customers and after installation shooting their guns thanked me for
making their guns much softer to shoot.CT
I also use nothing but Limbsavers. If you visit their website, you will find pads already shaped for many popular rifles and shotguns so no grinding may be needed. Of course,if you are going to shorten your stock, that will have to be done first. Then you can measure your new stock butt and search their size chart for one that will fit. I wanted to put one of their pads on a bench rifle and found a pad on their site for some obscure brand of shotgun that is only about 1/32" larger all the way around. Everyone who has seen it thinks it was factory installed.

Ed

1 - 20 of 49 Posts