Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:
My nephew purchased an old used Remington 870 barrel that had a Colonial choke tube installed in it. This choke tube has only two notches and it has been left inside the barrel for over ten years and he is unable to get the choke tube out of the barrel.

Any ideas what type of tool can be used to attempt to remove the choke tube as he does not have the actual choke tube wrench for this choke tube? Any idea what he can soak the barrel in to help free it up or is heating the barrel the way to go?

Thanks in advance,
Steve Balistreri
Wauwatosa Wisconsin

·
Registered
7,286 Posts
soak the end of the barrel in diesel fuel for 24 hours and then grind a gasket scraper to span the slots in the tube and then use a Vice Grip to turn the shank on the scraper....I've seen it done that way once. Wastes the scraper if you can't find a Colonial wrench but it worked.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
Steve don't panic yet.
If he doesn't have the correct choke tube wrench, he doesn't really know if the choke tube is stuck.

However, if it's indeed stuck and no other methods are working, here're two ultimate tools for this:

Unknown.jpeg Unknown-1.jpeg

I had a "Stuck" choke in one of the loaner guns before, a gentleman loan me the tool in the second picture, it worked.
Then I found out the M choke was intended to stay in the barrel with thread lock adhesive by the original owner. :)

Also depend on what he intend to use the 870 barrel for, 90% of the time (except skeet and 27 yard HC), we use M choke, so if it's a M stuck in it, I see little reason to put much efforts removing it from a very inexpensive used barrel.

Reactions: hjohn

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
I tried everything when my wife's choke tube stuck in her gun and I mean everything! Neil Winston was kind enough to loan me his Choke tube removal tool. It was out in seconds! Brownell has them.

·
Registered
11,132 Posts
watch out for the end bead if you use a flame. Otherwise should be fine. Wipe off oil/grease first. I'd get the correct wrench first and try!!! Then if still stuck freeze barrel and then heat the outer barrel while trying to keep the inner choke tube cool. This effect should allow you to remove the choke. If not, then there's always the special removal tool. Good Luck and break em all. Jeff

·
Registered
223 Posts
I watched my friend clamp the barrel in a vise with leather pads and use one of the tools showing in Steve's picture removing a 20+year rusted in choke tube. It ruined the choke tube, but got it out without damage the barrel.

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Some very good suggestions being offered here. I seem to remember a friend of mine having trouble about 20-25 years ago getting a choke tube out of his barrel at the Wisconsin state shoot. The gun smith at the time was Ben Cooter or Kooter forget the exact spelling as he used something called an EZ out? It ruined the choke tube but he was able to remove the tube for him.
Steve

·
Premium Member
12,908 Posts
Steve,

I think if you take the totality of what you been told you should get the thing out.

First, a lonnnnggggg soak in some penetrating oil. If you have an ultrasonic cleaner you can suspend the end of the barrel in the oil solution in the cleaner to help with penetration and breaking things free.

Don't be afraid to freeze the barrel and then apply heat (heat gun is best) to the muzzle end of the barrel. Don't go too hot...

Choke tools shouldn't be a real problem. I have a rubber one that can be expanded inside the choke - you'd think it would slip, but it really does the job. A modified gasket scrapper is a great idea.

Brownells sells stuck choke removers for about $9 - http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...tools/stuck-choke-removal-tool-prod54975.aspx

When working the choke don't forget to try tightening it a bit as well as loosening - this trick often helps to break free the crude/rust holding it in place.

Good luck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Kroil is magic It has never failed me.
Next chuck the wrench in a vice and turn the gun.
As a last resort use an easy out (available from Macmaster-Carr) and destroy the choke but save the bbl.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I bought a used Rem 11/87 with choke tube rusted in place. We placed threaded steel rod through the barrel with a locking washer bolted in place at the chamber end and the choke tube wrench bolted in place at the choke tube end. After soaking the barrel for 3 days in Kroil oil and then heating up the choke tube end....the choke tube came out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts