Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been 20+ years since I hunted and processed my own deer and my memory is not good! A young fellow gave me a nice heart and liver from his kill as he knew I loved liver and onions! I do not remember how to process either of these concerning the outer membrane, blood vessels etc!? Can someone help? Thanks, Tom Rhoads

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
I soak the heart in salt water then with a small sharp knife cut out all silver skin and white connective tissue till you have all red meat.(a bit time consuming} Makes great soup or hearty stew. lol

We would soak the liver a bit, slice thin and fry with lard or bacon grease in a iron skillet. (olive oil and any non stick pan would work) don't over cook.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Cut out the large blood vessel that comes in on the side of the liver.Next i cut mine on a slant [/],starting from the bottom and work up.I will soak the liver in salt water to help clean and remove blood over night. Flour and fry in bacon drippings with onions, enjoy :) Ray

·
Registered
611 Posts
After soaking heart,,and triming,,,boil heart about 45 minutes ,,,cool ,,cut into cubes ,,put in a quart jar,,add pickling spices,,fill up with vinegar,,,Put in refriderator,,turn jar over a couple of times a day for about three days,or more ,,you can sample to see how it is ,,This is an old favorite from my folks ,,really makes good snacks ,,,MX8Dave ,,

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! I did the bacon first, then salted and peppered the liver and then rolled it in flour! Of course I sautéed the onions in the bacon grease first. It was great but interesting to me, it was tougher than normal beef liver?! Anyway, it was worth the effort. Tom Rhoads

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
My cousin was a meat cutter, and I had him cut up two beef livers and two hearts for me.

He said if a liver is cut in the wrong direction, it will be tough and grainy.

He did good because mine sure were tasty.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I use dry fish coating or flour on my heart "rings" and pan fry them, they are delicious, if I could only have 2 lbs of meat from a deer it would be the heart!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Don't know how to prepare the Heart or Liver. I prefer the Tenderloins but as for the Kidneys, you have to boil the pi$$ out of them. Larry

·
Registered
196 Posts
Cut the heart into pieces, clean well and fry in butter. Salt and pepper to taste. I do that the day I kill the deer.

Bob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts