Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bad habit of moving my gun before I actually see the target. I would appreciate any advice thanks in advance Logman

·
Registered
18,661 Posts
Control yourself.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Are you watching the trap? Trying to time/guess the direction of the next clay?
If you are, then you should stop, just look at a piece of grass or something.
Don't anticipate the direction and that should help prevent movement.

·
Registered
917 Posts
If you're moving the gun too quick I'm guessing you must be moving it in some specific direction.
I'd try to look down at your feet when the person ahead of you shoots and don't look up till they shoot - you've got lots of time, take it.

If that doesn't work - see (flashmax & Bigcat) above.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I remember reading once Nora Ross made the statement that the target will never outrun your shot. This may help you mentally slow down. Also, if you hold very low just above the trap house, try holding a bit higher to limit gun movement / chasing the bird so much.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I was shooting skeet with an AAA shooter one time and he was controlling the pickle. When I said "pull", he didn't push the button. I started swinging the gun anyway. When I didn't see a target I turned around and looked at him as if he didn't hear me. He said that that was his way of breaking people of starting the gun too early. He made me see the target before I moved the gun. Makes you feel dumb swinging at a target that isn't there! One round of skeet with this guy broke me of that habit.

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
I have a bad habit of moving my gun before I actually see the target. I would appreciate any advice thanks in advance Logman
Do as Grumpy above states and get someone to pull the target for you. They should alternate between on time to various time lapse responses with release. This is a very old method of breaking your habit.

Secondly, hold on the lid and look for the target. Don't anticipate the target.

Setup can be a culprit in forming this habit. Review a good tape on setup fundementals.

·
Premium Member
4,387 Posts
I really thought when we started to use voice pulls that would be the end of moving the gun before I had seen the target . After all , how could you jump start your own pull ? If anything it made it worse . A person has to self discipline them self's not to move until you see the target .

Reactions: Hauxfan

·
Registered
7,968 Posts
logman,
If you find a fix for this let me know, I started shooting in 1972 and am still doing this from time to time, it has gotten really bad for me on first doubles target, it is a really hard habit to break or at least for me it is, good luck as I have not found a permanent fix for my problem yet

·
Premium Member
11,996 Posts
Easy fix. You need a friend to help - turn off the 'voice call' and go to 'manual call' - when you yell 'Pull' have the friend press the button anywhere from instantly to a 5 second delay. Four or five rounds like that and the problem will be gone.

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
KS-Okie, you're right on the money.

Took me a few years to realize it, but slow or fast trap help didn't bother me, as I always waited for the bird.

Got the new automated throwers and boom, I'm off to the races. I call for the bird and move my gun.

Finally, I caught what I was doing wrong, but it got to be such a habit, my scores are not back to what they used to be.

But we aren't giving up............Damn the torpedos, full speed ahead! lol

Hauxfan!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
The old saying,' Hold your eye" is still true. You're moving your eyes before calling for the bird. The barrel follows your eyes.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I never knew that sometimes I was calling for a target before I was ready until I took Leo Harrisons class. First thing he had us do was to shoot a round of singles without saying anything to anyone, he just observed. After we finished the round we all sat down and he gave us insight to what we were doing right or wrong.
When he came to me he said I was moving my eyes while calling for the target. How could you see that I asked as he was behind all of us. He stated my gun was moving as I called for the target. That was one of the best things that he taught me. After that I would catch myself doing that every now and then but now its just second nature for me to keep the "still eye". My averages in singles and caps have definitely gone up because of it.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
For a long time I used a loud & short staccato "PULL". Moving the gun before the target appeared became an increasing problem.
Changed my call to a relaxed "puuulllllllllll" and it helped a great deal.

·
Registered
5,990 Posts
A person has to self discipline them self's not to move until you see the target .
logman,

KS-OKIE has hit the nail on the head, but to do as he's suggesting, you must first understand... WHAT'S CAUSING YOU TO MOVE THE GUN BEFORE THE TARGET APPEARS?

Your eyes are leaving your "look point" in anticipation of the target appearing. WHEN YOUR EYES MOVE, YOUR GUN FOLLOWS THE EYES!

You must discipline yourself to not let your eyes LEAVE THEIR LOOK POINT UNTIL THE TARGET APPEARS. If you will do this, your problem will be solved. It's that simple.

·
Registered
5,990 Posts
Call for the targets with your eyes closed and open them almost immediately afterward.
IMO, some of the worst advise I've ever seen given on this site. THIS IS A GAME WHERE VISION IS KEY...and you're advising them to "Call for the targets with your eyes closed...."?!?

(How the heck does anybody "discipline himself"? If they could do that already they wouldn't have a problem!)
With mental discipline and practice, this bad habit CAN be overcome. I've done it myself and seen others do it also. You CAN unlearn bad habits and replace them with correct fundamentals. You don't have to believe me, just talk to any successful coaches.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Harlan taught us to hold the shotgun at a place (height) where we saw the the target above the barrel as a clear and solid target. It worked for me.

Note: practice when you can ... ever been waiting for a traffic light to change when we're intending to go straight and you moved when the left turn arrow illuminated? Same thing. Wait for your light ... wait for your target. How many times were you on post five, called for the bird, moved the gun to the right and had to race back for a straight away?

See target and then move to target. You have more time than you need.

Dusty

1 - 20 of 22 Posts