Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to duplicate the old, discontinued Remington STS 20 gauge Managed Recoil load. It was 7/8oz @ 1135fps. I'm down to my last few flats, so it's time to reload.

I want to reconfigure my press for 20 ga this winter and load up about 2500 shells. I have plenty of STS hulls and W209 primers and about 1000 RXP20 wads.

What is your favorite powder for 20 ga, and what are your favorite loads for 7/8oz at 1135~1150fps?

I don't have enough of any one suitable powder on hand, so I'll have to buy some, plus wads.

I have 6lbs of Solo 1000, about 3 lb of Green Dot, and a pound or two left of Int Clays, Universal Clays, American Select, Herco, Blue Dot and VV N340.

Any suggestions you have will be welcome. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
If you are not stuck on 7/8 oz, you can load 3/4oz with 14 gr Green Dot.

I have long loaded 3/4 oz in the 20, cannot tell the difference in breaks on the Skeet field.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SC, I might load some of them up at 3/4oz. What components do you use for your 14ga GD load?

·
Registered
742 Posts
No expert here, but I've some experience.

Green Dot is indeed a nice powder for 3/4 oz. loads, but it develops too much pressure behind 7/8 oz.

Beyond that, I would stay away from the large flake powders (e.g. 800X) because they will sometimes bridge in the small drop tube or bushing that is part of a 20 ga. reloader. I'm still looking for the ideal 20 ga. powder, and my next stop will probably be WSF. The Winchester ball powders meter wonderfully.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Hodgdon has 7/8 "light" data, starting at 1100 fps, for both international and Universal.

I don't buy Hodgdon powders and load mostly 3/4 in the 20ga with Green Dot like others have mentioned. However, I've recently gone back to Unique because it allows me to load both 3/4 and 7/8 under 1200 fps.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Hey, guys.

Using 12.5 Int'l clays with the 3/4 ounce Claybuster wad, 3/4 ounce shot in WWAA20 or STS20 with W209's, all workee fine. Very nice load even with 7 1/2's.

Normal 20 ga.load that I use is 7/8 shot with 16.2 WSF and 7/8 Claybuster wad, but dang hard to get WSF right now.

Hope this helps someone.

Ernie ....in AZ

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
I use Claybuster wads, and both Green Dot and Unique in 20 gauge (see link), both of which are good 12 gauge powders, too. Mark

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Winchester Super Field to duplicate the AA load. 20/28 is OK as well.

I once loaded some 3/4 oz loads for my Grandson when he was younger with PB powder. Its bulky and helps take up space for good crimps. Can't remember how much.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Alliant Unique does everything I need for the 20 ga. Alliant 20/28 is also an excellent powder, but I need the bulk of Unique if I want to avoid dished crimps. (20/28 is my go to powder for 28 ga for sure.)

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
Since you have oodles of Green Dot, that is the logical choice.

The load mentioned works well in R-P or AA hulls, regular wads. Green Dot is bulky and the load fits well.

I have loaded 3/4 oz in the 20 for decades, ran my first Skeet 100 straight in a gun with Clyde Purbaugh's tubes using this load. Many, many years ago.

Smokes 'em on Station Four, all you need.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Looking over Hodgdon's Jan 2013 Guide I found the following for Rem STS 20 ga:

Win 209, Rem RXP20, 13.4 gr Intl, 1150 f/s, 10900 psi

Win 209, Rem RXP20, 15.0 gr Universal, 1100 f/s, 9300 psi
Win 209, Rem RXP20, 15.5 gr Universal, 1150 f/s, 9500 psi

I would play with these loads and use up the 1,000 RXP20 wads. If you like any of the above buy 1500 more RXP20s. If you have trouble finding RXP20s...

Also listed:

Win 209, DRV-20 wad, 14.8 gr Universal, 1100 f/s, 9500 psi
Win 209, DRV-20 wad, 15.3 gr Universal, 1150 f/s, 10100 psi

You should double check data at Hodgdon.com

Jason

·
Premium Member
11,758 Posts
Call Hodgdon and ask to talk to Ron Reiber.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I like 21.5g Longshot with 7/8 shot, Noblesport or Win primers with Claybusters ????(the replacement for the Win 20 wad).

·
Registered
16,622 Posts
I use Universal...........International filled the case a bit much, besides, several folks reported cracking Kolar tubes with it.

I still have a soft spot for Unique, very consistant, but U is a 12/20 powder that works well in both.

HM

·
Registered
850 Posts
Universal, STS hulls, RXP wads for 7/8 loads. International, claybuster wads with either STS or AA hulls for 3/4 ounce loads. I prefer the STS hulls, I think they are a little softer shooting. Cannot remember power charges but Claybuster wads has a recipe in the bag. Unless things have changed you will probably not find the Hodgdon powers.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks to all who have answered so far. I've already downloaded all the recipes from Alliant, Hodgdon and Accurate. I have several store bought manuals. Having a wealth of data and recipes does not tell you a particular load is good, or consistent, or the components fit well without dishing or bulging the crimp. That is the kind of info I'm looking for. When you have a favorite load, all of those things are already good.

Also, remember, I'm trying to duplicate a specific load. That being said, several of you weighing in with 3/4oz load recommendations decided me on using the remainder of my GD and Int Clays making them.

I'm still looking to duplicate the Rem STS 20 ga 7/8oz #8 @ 1135fps Managed Recoil load. It is the best performing load I've shot in my O/U for Sporting.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I have heard of people using Solo 1000 in 20s but I haven't seen any data for it so I would caution against it. It is a faster powder than green dot and GD was cracking tubesets but nothing wrong with it in whole guns. Not a managed recoil load though.

I can't answer your question as I never had those shells but the direction would be slower powders like unique.

I also loved the old WW 473 so maybe it is replaced by WSF or WTF? I gave up on constantly changing ball powder supplies.

regards

1 - 19 of 19 Posts