Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
switiching to two eyes any tips to see the picture on angles ,when I hit em Im hitting them in the butt. amy help will greatly be appriciated. Books videos DVDs anything , getting flustered.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
could be crossfiring ,can run 5-8 then miss 3 with no with no reason ,the breaks are much better with both eyes open

·
Registered
85 Posts
Pizza gun - send me a pm and I'll tell ya what I did that helped make the switch. Note that your dominant eye should be on the side where you shoulder the gun otherwise it may be impossible to change. I switched about 6 months ago and it's working out real nice.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Pizza gun - send me a pm and I'll tell ya what I did that helped make the switch. Note that your dominant eye should be on the side where you shoulder the gun otherwise it may be impossible to change. I switched about 6 months ago and it's working out real nice.
Could I also learn what you did as I am looking to use both...I am not cross eye dominant just have always shoot with only one eye.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
One tip...be sure to keep your eyes (head) level.

I'm a life-long 2-eyed shooter who has an occasional (not outrageous) issue with crossfiring. One of the things I've dabbled with is squinting the off eye. Being new to one-eyed shooting, I found that it makes me more bead-conscious, which leads to checking, slowing, stopping, etc.....BUT....it seems less necessary to keep my head level. I've stayed with 2 eyes and use the Meadow Ind. sight-blinder referenced above.

If I roll my cheek onto the comb or drop my shoulder a hair, resulting in both eyes not being level to the ground, it seems to affect my swing. I'm a righthander and tend to swing high on lefts and low on rights if my head isn't vertically straight and eyes level. It's a subtle problem and you may have much greater issues than that hen switching styles, but it could make a difference on the extreme angles.

·
Registered
581 Posts
It took me about 3-5 months to switch.My only advice is that you have to go all in and get worse for a while to get better in the long run.The whole key is to look hard enough at the bird to see the edges crisp.Do that and enjoy life.

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
Your brain is already programed. Your left eye and your right eye send images to your brain.
Your brain picks the best image and uses it to shoot the target with the right lead. Make sure your shooting
eye is sending the best image. One method to do that is to have the prescription lens for your shooting
a little better than the one for your non shooting eye. HMB

·
Registered
521 Posts
There seems to be two basic styles for two eyes open. 1. Gun hold 2 feet over the trap house with eyes a foot or so over the gun looking for the hard angle and waiting for the bird to pass the barrel. (Right hand shooter) 2.The other is the gun is high enough of over the trap house for the left eye to see the bird leave the trap house and your brain kills it so quick it is scary! (Tough with a hard tail wind. ) It is like you are looking through the gun. I like #1 because I can raise or lower the gun and my eye hold to meet wind conditions. I also have a high POI gun. Try both ammo is cheap again:)

·
Registered
22,741 Posts
)

The other is the gun is high enough of over the trap house for the left eye to see the bird leave the trap house and your brain kills it so quick it is scary! (Tough with a hard tail wind. )

I also have a high POI gun. Try both ammo is cheap again:)
You got that one right. 99 with a headwind and 92 with a stiff tailwind last Saturday in the Colo. State Shoot Singles Championship. Have eye problems too and my left is the better visual acuity but sheesh. Inkball right out of the house for 99 of them then shoot over several before I got my hand-eye back.

Don T

·
Registered
190 Posts
Phil Kiner quote:

"The one thing that most shooters with this problem (and particularly those without it) DO NOT understand
is that it does not matter how hard you work at looking at the target when the off eye decides to take over
it will and nothing you can do will stop it."

·
Registered
22,741 Posts
Phil Kiner quote:

"The one thing that most shooters with this problem (and particularly those without it) DO NOT understand
is that it does not matter how hard you work at looking at the target when the off eye decides to take over
it will and nothing you can do will stop it."

Yup.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Not everyone can shoot with both eyes open. I would suggest you employ the assistance of a certified coach to help you in this matter

·
Registered
767 Posts
My only advice is make sure your gun fits. After you have made that determination just focus hard on the target and practice, practice, practice. I tried the eye dots and squinting before the shot and scores were stagnant. Last summer I put that aside and just focused on the bird. It worked for me.

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
The PK quote above is BS. The problem can be solved by using the 6 P principle. Remember
that proper preparation prevents piss poor performance. HMB

1 - 20 of 51 Posts