Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need precise and complete and concise directions for defragging my pc! I tried senior dummy defrag directions and of course there was a mistake on the second move so I could not complete! Thanks for helping this dinosaur if you can! Tom Rhoads

·
Premium Member
2,001 Posts
Tom, what operating system are you running? Try the website above. It's a do it yourself with step by step instructions.

Kevin

·
Registered
16,622 Posts
mine on Windoze 7 does it automatically ebvery Wednesday. If you click the button in the lower left corner and put "defrag" in the box it will bring it up.

If you have a really old system there are other procedures. I think XP had to be manually defragged. I know ME did.

HM

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mike: I think it is running. I followed your directions and up popped a window with numerous things on it including analyze, defragment, etc including 64% free space. It was not clear what I was supposed to do so I clicked on defragment . After a few minutes is stated 3% defragmentation. I assume it is doing the job?! By the way, my system is XP Office Professional. Thanks if this is running! Tom Rhoads

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Seriously?

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Yes Tom, you have to leave it on. The screen does not have to be lit up, but the computer must be on.

Rick in MT

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys! It says it is complete but I have no way of verifying. I went out and came back in and it still said 64% free space?! Tom Rhoads

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Thats all the free space you have. Defrag does not give you more space, it puts fragmented files back where they belong.

Think of your hard drive like a big parking lot, and all of your files are in parking spaces in nice neat rows at the start of the day. By the end of the day, the files are parked all over the parking lot at random. Defrag puts them back in nice neat rows, and your computer will run a lot faster because it doesn't have to look all over the whole parking lot for a file.

Defrag at least once a month with XP Pro. The more you use it, the less time it takes to defrag.

Wayne

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
To take Wayne's description a slight step further...

It's like a car dealer's lot. At the beginning all the pickups were together, the vans together, the station wagons together, the convertibles together, and the ordinary cars together.

At the end of the months the vehicles are scattered all over and it takes longer for a salesman to show them to customers, having to walk all over the lot.

The manager tells the lot flunky to straighten out the vehicles, so he goes out and basically "defrags" them by putting them into order.

Now the salesman can take the customer right to the convertibles and not have to go to the far end of the lot and then the back lot to see them all.

Now substitute the vehicles for files, and the salesman for the disc drive head. Defragging saves it time. The slowest thing in a computer is accessing the hard drive, and a badly defragged drive slows it down more.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts