Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Banned
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The club I belong to is starting up a Youth Shotgun Program. Right now we only have 1 Rem 1100 20ga LT-20. I am looking into purchasing 2 to 3 additional guns. The kids are age 10 and up. One member has donated a 1100 in 12ga with 2 barrels, which I'm hoping to trade for a Lt-20. We have several gun shops locally that I should be able to trade if they have an LT-20 in the shop. WHAT are other suggestions can you give me for Youth guns? We have several young girls interested and they just don't have the upper body strength to handle a cut down 12 ga or a 20ga built on a 12 ga frame. NO pumps! I'd appreciate any suggestions of guns I should be looking for using them with 10 year olds and up. Thank you for any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Beretta made some "youth" model 390s. Don't know if the current models have that. They worked great for my kids. Short from pistol grip to trigger and short stocked.

·
Banned
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The problem with most 12 ga guns is the actual weight of the gun. Also, the kids will be learning trap and skeet so the gun must fire 2 shots. These kids are very young . I will check out the youth 390's rw993!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I second the Beretta 390 or similar. A great friend who is my junior high trap coaches daughter has been shooting a 391 youth model with an adjustable comb, graco adjustable lop unit, and a ported 26 in barrel since 6th grade. She doesn't miss often.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I would suggest staying away from the 20 gauges as well. The upper body strength will come after a few months. They may not be able to shoot 100 targets at a time, but they will get there.
I started my youngest with a Beretta 1301 and 7/8 oz. loads. We then worked up to 1 ounce and then 1 1/8 oz.

regards,

Todd

·
Registered
67 Posts
Have them hold milk jugs straight out in front of them and to there sides for ten seconds 3 to 5 times a night that will help with upper body strength

·
Banned
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the suggestions on youngsters handling and bulking up for a 12 ga. Being a "girl" I know the limitations of shooting a heavy gun and also trying to get over the intimidation of a big heavy gun and having the coordination to hold it and swing it to a flying target. The heaviest thing we normally multi-task is a blow dryer ;) Any other suggestions for a starter shotgun for a youth program would be appreciated.

·
Registered
194 Posts
If research it not much difference in 12ga or 20ga as far as kick. Price there definitely is. I would stay with 12ga they will bulk up and be fine. Maybe keep a lighter 20ga for any extra small kids. Beretta 390 or 391 and the 1100 are good choices

·
Registered
14 Posts
we use the berettas at our club. our youth coach applied for several grants with outdoor organizations. friends of the nra was one of them.

·
Banned
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If research it not much difference in 12ga or 20ga as far as kick. Price there definitely is. I would stay with 12ga they will bulk up and be fine. Maybe keep a lighter 20ga for any extra small kids. Beretta 390 or 391 and the 1100 are good choices
ALL these kids are extra small, little or no muscle. It's not the kick! It's the weight of the shotgun. I am a grown woman and I know that usually the heavier the gun, the less recoil. I was a grown woman and in pretty good shape when I took up this sport. It took me a good 3-4 months before I was comfortable with the weight of a shotgun. I'm talking LITTLE kids 10 to 12 year olds with no muscles except in their fingers and thumbs from video games and cell phones and texting! We're not talking farm kids here ;) As far as price, I'm sure we're going to pay extra for youth 20 gauge guns that 10 and 12 year old kids can lift and swing. We are lucky enough to have parents and grandparents that shoot and will buy us a youth gun to add to the program. I'm looking FOR suggestions on YOUTH 20 ga, lightweight guns. Maybe a youth coach could chime in and give me some advise. If I could see every gun AND pick it up and say "WOW, that's going to work for the kids" I'd do it. I'm going to have to know what I want and buy online, sight unseen!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I know what you are saying starting my 9yr old daughter. But I don't notice a ton of weight savings there is some but not much. My daughter can hardly lift a 12 pack of soda lol. But already have her doing gun lifts She will be there in no time.

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
If you insist on starting a 10 year old girl, that has trouble lifting a few pounds, into the shotgun sports, then your options are limited. Look at 20 gauge semiautomatic youth guns with alloy receivers, like the Weatherby.
I have taught many kids to shoot, and use Remington 1100/1187 youth guns, but they are too heavy for little girls. IMO, you are trying to start them a little too soon.

Links:

How to Buy Your Kid the Right Shotgun for Christmas

SA-08™ Synthetic Compact

·
Registered
10,195 Posts
Don't forget to look into some Jack West Stock's for your Junior Shooters as well. They are very adjustable to get a good fit. Best of Luck to Ya. break em all Jeff

·
Banned
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you insist on starting a 10 year old girl, that has trouble lifting a few pounds, into the shotgun sports, then your options are limited. Look at 20 gauge semiautomatic youth guns with alloy receivers, like the Weatherby.
I have taught many kids to shoot, and use Remington 1100/1187 youth guns, but they are too heavy for little girls. IMO, you are trying to start them a little too soon.

I am not "insisting" to start 10 year old girls or boys into the shotgun shooting sports. The parents want them to start and I am there to instruct them. How many times have any of you been on the field and some yahoo is there with their 10 or 12 year old and the parent is instructing? The parent can't shoot and has terrible habits and they are passing those habits on to the kids. Now, everyone in the clubhouse is running for cover or laughing! Have some of your daughters or wives put a 8 pound vacuum cleaner in their hands and then lift it to their shoulder and see how many times they can lift it! Bet NOT! Bet they bought one of those skinny Sharks and use them! ALL I'm asking is advise on WHAT guns to purchase.
The club I belong to is starting up a Youth Shotgun Program. Right now we only have 1 Rem 1100 20ga LT-20. I am looking into purchasing 2 to 3 additional guns. The kids are age 10 and up. One member has donated a 1100 in 12ga with 2 barrels, which I'm hoping to trade for a Lt-20. We have several gun shops locally that I should be able to trade if they have an LT-20 in the shop. WHAT are other suggestions can you give me for Youth guns? We have several young girls interested and they just don't have the upper body strength to handle a cut down 12 ga or a 20ga built on a 12 ga frame. NO pumps! I'd appreciate any suggestions of guns I should be looking for using them with 10 year olds and up. Thank you for any suggestions.
ADVISE on youth guns would be appreciated. Your opinion on how my youth program is going to proceed and work is NOT the subject of the question! I don't need advise on how to run the program.

Links:

SA-08™ Synthetic Compact

·
Registered
194 Posts

Links:

SA-08™ Synthetic Compact
Never too soon to start. My daughter at 9 is up to my chest and I'm 6'7". She's Just scrawny lol.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I know this isn't the answer you're looking for, but I'm in the 12ga camp as well. We have almost 90 kids on our team and many of them, boys and girls alike, start their first season barely being able to lift and hold the gun. It really doesn't take them that long to develop the muscles to shoulder and hold a 12ga youth model. That's where they should ultimately be headed anyway and you're really not slowing them down much by starting with the slightly heavier gun.

The big thing is for them to be willing to put in the work outside of practice to get there. We ask our athletes to do gun mounts nightly at home and you can quickly and easily tell who does and who doesn't. Best of luck to you and thank you for promoting youth shooting.

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
I gave you advice about the best choice for a very small, weak shooter, a Weatherby SA-08 synthetic compact. You don't know anything about your gun options, yet you consider yourself an expert instructor, and don't want to listen to those of us that have done for years what you are trying to start. Starting kids too early turns off more kids than you will promote into the sport. Sometimes it's best to tell the pushy parents to let their kids grow up for a few more years. Listen and watch the kids, to make sure they are having fun. Let them quit, when they have had enough. Sometimes, one shot tells me all I need to know about who wants to push this activity. I am through trying to help you.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts