Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of purchasing a used MEC hydraulic press. I believe that would be the 9000HN. I am concerned about this as I tend to reload my hull too many times causing the "shot" stage to buckle the hull and shot just goes everywhere. I have learned how to avoid this because I can feel the wad catching on the fingers of the hull before I pull the handle down. I no longer loose any hulls and I save the shell. you cannot feel this happening in a hydraulic press or can you?????? I know I need to discard my hull earlier. I just turned 68 last Saturday and I DO NOT deal with frustration very well now so " I need input from those who have experience".

PRO's and CON' of 9000G vs 9000HN

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a 9000H 12 ga. which is a hydraulic, If you want feel this is not the way to go. I also have a 9000GN 20 ga. which is hand crank, You can feel with it. I use the 9000H with rem hulls and don't have much trouble because I unhooked the auto rotate feature. If I have a problem it is much easier to deal with if it does not rotate itself. I hardly ever have a problem with either any more. They are both great loaders. Have had them both for at least 5 years and many thousands of rounds. Terry

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I use the 9000HN loader for 4 different gauges(12,20,28, and 410)The (N)is for the new and larger primer tray. I seldom unhook the auto advance, unless I have a problem, which is very seldom. I do watch closely that the primer does drop and advances to the 2nd station. Other than making sure the collet is well lubed, I rarely have a problem loading. Also I'm 65. Good luck with your loader.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The 9000 Hydraulic press is superior in the following ways:

1) Very consistent powder and shot drops as the hydraulic unit does the same downward motion time after time with little to no variance. Hand operated units perform at the whim of the operator.. thus there can be shell to shell variance due to speed and duration of stroke.

The 9000 Hydraulic press otherwise performs like all the others... there are two variants, one that INDEXES (the shell plate turns one station after each upstroke) and the older variant which requires you to manually index the shell plate.

In every case, you must be sure to keep the machine clear of debris, especially the collet and primer hole and also make sure on each downstroke you SEE the primer enter the primer hole on the deck. You have to pay attention to this. Also make sure that your collet fingers are clear of debris (use a dental pick) and clean and that the outside of the collet is lubed with a suitable grease (I use STOS). The main shaft needs to be lubed with a heavy gear oil such as 80W.

Art

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
If you require "feel" with the reloading a hydraulic anything is not the way to go. MEC has an 800psi pump relief and it will go till it cannot go any more.
Identify those you believe are problem hulls and save yourself some grief.. Larry

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
I have both and load on the H mostly. If you want to feel the flow of the wad, use the G. The only way you notice anything different on the H is when the pump growls a little bit. Usually when I put two wads in the same case. :)

Ajax

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I have the 9000HN in 12,20,28,.410 .Its a the only way to go for me, but in your case wanting to feel the shell getting reloaded. I would stay with the 9000N with the new primer tray.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts