Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I try to load with just two powders, Clays and PB. Now Hodgdon is not selling PB anymore and their rep at the Grand says, despite rumors to the contrary, that they will not be making it again-costs them too much to make, slow seller, etc.

So, I need a new powder for long yardage handicap (1250 fps) and I think I have narrowed it down to two-Winchester Super Handicap and Tightgroup.

The Hodgdon rep recommended WSH as did the Spolars.

I'm leaning that way, but could go a different route.

With Tightgroup, I think I would have to change my crimp die or they'd be dished. Not so, at least I think not, with WSH.

I use Winchester hulls, both CF and HS, Remington STS and Nitros, and an occasional Gun Club.

I also use Winchester 209s and have a lot of them on hand.

Claybuster WAA12 clones and Downrange Figure 8s are my wads.

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Bob

·
Premium Member
10,608 Posts
WSH is a very dense powder. In CF hulls I had to go to a longer wad; used Downrange Fig-8s. I never adjusted the machine (MEC 9000) at all. With the HS hulls I tried some with WSH and Blue Dusters, but I couldn't get the "shot inspection hole" in the crimp closed without adjusting the crimp, which I didn't want to do so long as I had a large supply of CF hulls.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
There are SO many good powders out there and the availability of them is or can be a big problem right now! So with that said everyone will have a different opinion on what works best. Load data is at your finger tips. See what is available and go with it. I know a lot of shooters that had to switch to different powder because they could no longer find their favorite and most of them are happy.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I recommend the WSH powder. Winchester publishes the load data for 1250 fps on each of their canisters. I believe it is 20.9 grns of WSH, Win 209 primer, WW AA hulls and WAA 12 wad. The crimps dished slightly on this load for me. I stayed with the load but substituted a win 12sl one ounce wad for the WAA12 wad and got perfect crimps. It has turned out to be a very good Handicap load.

John

·
Registered
11,414 Posts
Titegroup is good stuff.

It's (essentially) what Remington uses n the Nitro 27 factory shells.

If you use the data in the Hodgdon tables you can get a good long distance load.

Quite possibly the most important thing that will make your patterns good for long handicap is the use of top quality hard shot.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I use Winchester hulls, both CF and HS, Remington STS and Nitros, and an occasional Gun Club.

I also use Winchester 209s and have a lot of them on hand.

Claybuster WAA12 clones and Downrange Figure 8s are my wads.

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Bob
Although the Win CF and HS are suppose to load the same they do not. The HS has less space. Win CF and Rem STS, Nitro & GC pretty much have the same volume.

TiteGroup is out if you do not load with Rem 209P primers and want to get to 1250 f/s with 1 1/8 oz of shot.

I would look at Green Dot or International to be used with the Win CF and Rem hulls; the Win 209 primer and the wads you have. Alliant Unique may be closest to PB in burn speed.

Win HCP powder will work in the Win HS cases with the wad and primer you have. I think the best wad for the Win CF and Rem hulls with this powder loading 1 1/8 oz of shot is the Rem TGT 12. It is a 1 oz wad but has a 1 1/8 oz shot cup. This is used in the current Nitro 27 shells that have 1 1/8 oz of shot.

So I would get the powder that matches the greatest number of hulls that you have for now. Or a pound of Green Dot, Int'l, and Unique to see what YOU like.

Jason

·
Registered
864 Posts
20 gr Green Dot
Federal GM Hull
Cheddite Primer
12S3 or any clone
1 1/8 of hard shot

will smoke targets as far as you can shoot

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
I had been using Clays Universal scaled down to 1235 fps with AA, GC and STS hulls. The only down side is the barrel gets warmer at the end of the event than it does with other powders.

I just bought a jug of WSH but haven't loaded any yet.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Very pleased with 700x as 27yd handicap powder. Very consistent fps (1240-1250) and patterns with nice crimps in Nitro & STS hulls with fig 8 clone wads.

·
Registered
10,303 Posts
I have had great results with Unique and Herco for 1250 1 1/8 ouncers. Bulky powders, low pressures, lower perceived recoil, really boils targets. Herco is LOUD in a ported gun.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I use titegroup . justvuse a 1 ounce was. The tgt 12 or a clone. I use the downrange 8 pedal hybrid. 16.2 will get you 1145 fps 18.2 1250.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Also a good powder is 20.5 grs of International, and it seems to be available these days

·
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks all. I ended up picking Winchester Super Handicap. But the other recommendations made sense, too. I just had to pick so I just picked. I've got two 8 lb jugs, and will try them and se how they do.

Bob

1 - 20 of 22 Posts