Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every gun I seem to mount I have a 1/4" gap between the mid and front bead. The two ways I can get close to stacked beads is to mount the gun very high on my shoulder or lean my head. Neither of which I want to do. I'm a 2 eyed shooter with my eyes parallel to the ground. I'd like to bring my POI down as it's 100% over at 16 yards. What are my best option(s) and\or solution?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Not familiar with the Beretta but generally speaking; If adj comb lower it. If adjustable rib raise the front to lower your POI. Don't get hung up on the stacked beads thing. Really only need that for left to right alignment. Leave everything where it is on your gun and have a few different people shoulder it. You would be surprised how many different sight pictures they say they see.
Good luck. If neither comb or rib is adjustable you would have to whittle on the stock or have an adj comb put on it and adjust accordingly.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Had the same issue on my 680. Ive been told to just ignore the fact that I have a space between the beads.......but that's hard for me to do. I ended up having Dave Berlet make me a delrin tapered rib. Almost un noticeable.....and solved the problem for me.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Every gun I seem to mount I have a 1/4" gap between the mid and front bead. The two ways I can get close to stacked beads is to mount the gun very high on my shoulder or lean my head. Neither of which I want to do. I'm a 2 eyed shooter with my eyes parallel to the ground. I'd like to bring my POI down as it's 100% over at 16 yards. What are my best option(s) and\or solution?
put an adj. comb on and forget about everything else.

jack mc

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Don't matter where the beads are. All they are for is to know you have the same mount every time. Gun has to shoot where you are lookin .

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I do have an adjustable comb and have moved it down. Once I've lowered the comb when I bring the gun to my face\cheek bone and pull it into my shoulder the pad is very high up on my collar bone. I don't mind the gap I just want the pad off my shoulder blade.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Try an adjustable but plate?
That was what I was thinking. I haven't seen many on a Beretta 682 as there doesn't seem to be much stock room between the butt and the start of the adjustable comb. Any recommendations other than the GraCoil?

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
Get on of these. http://www.morganrecoilpad.com/

Take off the mid bead. Why on earth people think that some guy at the factory would just happen to drill the mid bead hole in just the right spot so that they can "Stack the beads" AND have the gun shoot where they want to is just silly. As Ray said above, the mid bead is for horizontal alignment.

BTW, if you always want to see the target above your gun and the target is always rising, why do you want any pellets to be below the target?

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
Here's what you have to do -or or have someone do it for you.
Remove the comb and remove as much wood from the bottom surface of the comb as you need to. Then bevel the stock below the comb so there's no sharp corner to pinch your face. You may need shorter posts for the comb. This is a better solution than trying to sand off the top of the comb.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Don't matter where the beads are. All they are for is to know you have the same mount every time. Gun has to shoot where you are lookin .
Golferboy give me a call at 631 319 6959, I can help you find out what you need to bring down your POI.
Plaw, I have a question I always ask bead checkers (don't be offended, I mean no disrespect.) Before you shoot at the bird and after you check the beads, do you have to move your gun and body to hit the bird? Joe

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
That was what I was thinking. I haven't seen many on a Beretta 682 as there doesn't seem to be much stock room between the butt and the start of the adjustable comb. Any recommendations other than the GraCoil?
Try looking at this website toward the bottom of the page and they have several kinds of adjustable but plates. These guys have a small shop and when you call, you speak to the guys that make what you want. Great service and nice guys. http://www.addarib.com/index.htm Steve

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry guys just to confirm. I don't have a problem mounting the gun consistently. I only bead check when I practice at home and after I miss on the field. If I was to drop my comb by sanding or filing it down wouldn't that just raise the butt pad onto my collar bone? Seems to me the best solution would be an adjustable butt pad. Any recommendations for a Beretta 682 with an adjustable comb. Attach any pictures if you have one.

Thanks,
Dale

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
To raise or lower a POI you have to change the relationship between your cheek and barrel. Raising or lowering the butt pad doesn't do that. When you lower the comb then slightly lower your cheek while keeping the position of the gun in your shoulder the same, you accomplish that.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I have a Gracoil adjustable recoil reducer on my Beretta 682. It works really nice. Lets you move the butt pad up/down/left/right/angled. Plenty of stock behind the comb for it to fit.

·
Registered
8,413 Posts
Sounds like it could be a pitch problem. Put a couple washers/spacers between the buttpad (top hole)and the stock and put the top screw back in (if it's long enough). Then take a look at the bead configuration. It may require a spacer of a wedge shape to get the alignment. An adjustable butt pad is an excellent idea for helping with your final fit, but I doubt it will fix your bead problem. If I'm wrong, at least it was free. Sorry. Good luck. Wish Rollin (Oswald) would still come on here.

Bob Falfa

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
You are stating 2 scenarios that can lower your Point of Impact (POI).

First you state that if you mount the gun high on your shoulder you can get a fig 8 with the beads. An adjustable butt pad will allow you to drop the recoil pad down so you are mounting the pad where you normally would. This however may create more upward recoil.

2nd you state that you have a consistent mount but are seeing a gap between the beads. With this mount you need to lower the comb to lower your POI. Ballpark figure is 1/16 inch lowering of the comb should translate to about an inch at 13 yards and 3 inches at 39 yards.

First off document where the gun is shooting by shooting from a rest at 13 yards if you have not done this yet. Actually aim seeing the 1/4 inch gap between the beads and putting the front bead just under the Point of Aim squeeze the trigger. The estimated POI would be 5 inches high at 13 yards = 100% over at 40 yards. If it is not about 5 inches high, you should try a free hand shot focusing on the POA point the barrel and fire. See if the POIs are the same. If they are not note the difference. File/sand off 1/8 inch and see if the pattern drops 2 inches shooting from a rest. Sand/file accordingly to get the POI you want. As you file/sand you will notice that the gap will decrease with your consistent mount.

Jason

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I seem to remember a shooter that had a bunch on center line holes in his rib on a TM1, I think it was. He just moved his bead where it fit right for him that day.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
I agree with you regarding the Beretta stocks and how far back the raised comb extends. But here's my 687SPII's stock that has been shortened and had a adjustable butt plate installed.

I'm sure one like this would solve your problem. Mine was made by a local stockmaker (who also installed the Buffalo horn grip extension) but any of the guys on here who do stock work can probably make the same thing for you. And those who tell you to ignore that gap are right. I see a LOT of gap between my beads and just employ mind over matter - I don't mind so it doesn't matter.

Ed

1 - 20 of 24 Posts