Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious what percentage of registered targets are shot at and broken by all levels (AAA to D Class) of ATA shooters.
Example: 25 Million singles targets shot at annually by ATA shooters - How many were hit?
Also I am curious what percentage of HCP and Doubles - Combined average etc.
I have looked for these statistics on the ATA web site and on Trap and Field's web site as well, but have been unable to find any.
I am aware that a higher percentage of targets are broken in dryer climate areas etc. Also are there any statistics for the Grand American - specific gun clubs etc.?

I have compiled a personal record for my home club where I shoot 60% of my ATA targets in comparison to other venues that I have shot at. Suprisingly I break very slightly more targets at other venues. +.29%

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My quess is that no one compiles these stats.

Some gun clubs are accused of not throwing "good" or legal targets for example. I would like to be able to determine the "average" scoring percentage of a certain event, or for a specific gun club.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Some years back Neil Winston was kind enough to provide me with the ATA Average book in MS Excel format, enabling me to do some statistical analysis on many interesting questions. I have posted some of those results here over the years.

For that particular target year (2008) there were 31,653 shooters who registered ATA targets. 31,301 of those registered at least some singles, 98.9% of those registering some ATA targets. Those shooters shot at a total of 33,099,700 singles targets and broke 30,358,516 of them, 91.7% of the total.

Scott Hoover (V10) was the Utah ATA delegate for a while and in the past has had access to average book data in a form enabling statistical analysis. Perhaps he could chime in.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
From the same year, there were 22,864 shooters who registered at least some handicap targets, 72.2% of all shooters registering at least some ATA targets. They shot at a total of 27,130,250 handicap targets and broke 23,407,141 of them, 86.3% of the total shot at.

For doubles there were 14,681 who registered some doubles, 46.4% of shooters registering some ATA targets. They shot at 14,708,100 doubles targets and broke 12,594,634 of them, 85.6% of those shot at.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It appears also from the 2008 to 2013 statistical comparison that we (ATA Shooters) are shooting poorer scores except in HCP. That must be a reflection of all the 2 yd reductions. Interesting. Maybe we should attempt to make the game harder not easier and we will all get better?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
If you got a 2 yard reduction and shot better scores. You probably will move back to make it harder. There for the system would be working.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Scott,
Thanks for posting the statistics. Would you mind showing the percentiles as well - 50th, 75th, 90th, 95th, and 99th percentile?
Thanks.
Joe

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Scott, one thing bothers me in the data: shouldn't the "Shot at" data be a multiple of 50, or at least 25? Unless the rules have changed, and I admit I have not read them in the last three years or so, a shooter who pulls out partway through a subevent has his or her score recorded for that subevent.

If the shot at totals are correct, then there is another interesting observation to make. Comparing targets shot at in TY 2013 to TY 2008, five years earlier, we are at 76.6% participation in singles, 72.3% participation in handicap, and 75.3% participation in doubles. In my case, for example, in TY 2008 I registered 2400 singles, 2500 handicap, and 2100 doubles. Since TY 2010 ended I have registered zero, and have shot only a few hundred recreational targets.

It would be interesting to see the year to year registered target totals for about the last ten years.

·
0 Posts
This is very interesting to me. It would be interesting to see every year since about 1970. Then see those results in a graph. It could really enlighten us as to the effect of the target angle change (2 hole vs 3 hole) and whether the change did in fact affect the sport or if it is all myth.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Do the "shot at" totals include shoot offs? That might explain the odd numbers. Are there ever "miss and out" shoot offs?

·
Super Moderator
5,116 Posts
Larry,

The reason that the singles "shot at" ends with "9" is that there was one shooter whose score was entered as 44x44. That should be 44x50, and I'd correct it, except that there are other "problems" like that which if you took on the task of cleaning all of them up would drive you crazy.

So, since it doesn't affect the overall result, I've learned to live with it.

ETA: Likewise the doubles data has a shooter with a 26x32.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We work hard at our club to throw good, legal targets by maintaing our Pat Traps and setting targets to ATA guidelines. The following comparison for our club:

31,500 singles 93.0 % average vrs 90.76% National average
24,700 handicap 87.42% average vrs 86.3% National average
15,300 doubles 83.06% average vrs 85.6% National average

Good to know that we are comparable.

458 WM

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Very informative data V10...
I am thinking about alot of stats etc. that will help our club make choices about our ATA schedule. I used your data earlier in the post and saw that since 2008 the total decline in number of targets shot by ATA shooters has declined by 23%. Similarly our club has experienced a 21.5% decline in total targets shot by ATA shooters. Our attendance in highest in the early spring before the state shoots begin and the larger events such as the Buckeye Classic. Thanks again for the info.

458WM

1 - 20 of 23 Posts