Trapshooters Forum banner

NASCAR is starting to suck.......

3340 Views 45 Replies 33 Participants Last post by  Mayor Bob
Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems to me the TV and the powers that be are ruining NASCAR......the production is so big that the show comes on an hour before the race starts, some of the announcers have no idea what they are talking about, just run their mouth, the rules change so often that it is hard to understand, fuel cell sizes, tires,you can only run this tire or that tire, etc....there is always a caution near the end...debris on the track, someone must throw it out on the track, I think the races are starting to be scripted...now we are going to have the "car of tomorrow" so all the cars will be the same........pretty soon the races will be run on a computer and scripted....guess its time to watch wrestling......JMO SC
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

· Registered
227 Posts
You mean you don't like the mysterious yellow flags towards the finish so you can have a big crash, or the fact that they cut the engine size so Toys can run or the fact that you put restrictor plates on a car so that the drivers who don't know how to drive can compete.

· Registered
133 Posts
All the pre-race hype makes it suck.

The damn Daytona 500 coverage started 24 hrs before the race ...

Features on .. This is where Dale Jr. sleeps or Harvicks grill out supper .. stupid shit.

Just like the Super Bowl ..

Too bad they don't put that much effort into reporting actual news that matters.

· Registered
24 Posts
I just bemoan the loss of the true Americana of the sport- 'shine runners that gave birth to the greatest American sport. Promoters overmanaged the thing into a packaged, sterilized, civilized product that every soccermom can get behind. I just want the homologation rules back so it'll be stockcar racing again. Save our A$$, Junior Johnson...

· Registered
769 Posts
I wasn't surprised to find this thread here this morning. I actually turned the race off and went outside yesterday, it was just tooooo boring. I've been a fan each and every year for 20 years. I started to wain last year, but this year so far has been the most boring yet. I once planned my Sunday around watching the race, not anymore, not worth wasting the day. Sad but true. I'm giving the COT a chance to see where it goes from there. I love watching the truck race. I think one of the best races in the world is the trucks at Daytona, man that is fun to watch. Maybe the cup racing will get there?...probably not. At least we have trapshooting:)

G

·
"The only real man racing done these days is on two wheeels. Dirt, pavement, some of both, makes no difference to me."

You mean the only real KID racing...and I'll agree they do have guts! Most of the men I know figured out long ago that get-offs at 100+ mph hurt and they now have more sense than to race something that can't stand up by itself.

Mike

· Registered
2,505 Posts
Although Dale Sr. enjoyed success with the restrictor plates; he always hated them. His comment to the drivers who said you have to slow the cars down was; " If you don't want to go fast, go sit on the porch and tie some oil soaked rags around your ankles, so the ants don't crawl up into your candy a$$". NASCAR has went down hill with their politically correct B.S and their greed for the almighty dollar. It's all about money. Period... Ed

· Registered
905 Posts
From 1996 through the 2000 season..Remington Arms had a car in the Winston Cup Series. Even though it did nothing but stink up the tracks, it was really a cool lookin' car. The only firearms Co. to step up to Winston Cup. Too bad it crapped out as a major sponsor after the 2000 season. Dale Jr. had them as a small sponsor for a couple of years then no more....probably too expensive. I do have to agree that the last few years have been bogus. The announcers blab way too much..............................Uncle Sam, Pa.

G

·
Mac V,

Make sure to tell that to Poovey, Springer, Atherton, and Carr. I'm sure that they would appreciate being thought of as young!

ec90t

· Registered
2,981 Posts
And....Was there any doubt that Johnson was NOT going to win one of his big sponsor's race. The same with the races at Lowe's track.

Maybe one of you guys know where to check this stat....

Drivers who have won the sponsor of their car AND also when that same sponsor had the Race.

· Registered
319 Posts
Starting? I know I will piss a few of you off, but come one watching racing on TV is like watching Golf. It puts me in a good mood for a nap on the couch. I would rather be out shooting or doing something that is actually fun. Its amazing how much money is spent advertising to people who sit and watch a car go in circles. Never been for me. I worked for a company who has a team, used to have to go to the races to take clients, I will say in person its a more fun experience and seeing everything going on but on TV BORING!!!

· Registered
301 Posts
Come up to New England and watch the Modifieds run our short tracks.

You won't be able to watch NASCAR unless sedated.

Jap cars, restrictor plates, tv cameras in you shorts, no thanks.

Average Ed if you took that picture of Hanks #12, outstanding shot!!

· Registered
6,205 Posts
You mean like that one?

No, I didn't take them - I'm not much of a photographer and struggle to take the ones that I do take for my articles right. Central Pennsylvania is blessed with an abundance of 410 sprint cars teams that give the Outlaws a hard time as well as several good photogs who post their work for free viewing and downloading on the Williams Grove Speedway website.

Click on the link above, click on Message Board and scroll down to the Picture Forums and select "Open-Wheeled Cars". You'll find hundreds of excellent photos there and the selection will grow as the season unfolds. We've only had one race around here thus far, and most of the ones there are from that March 3rd show at Lincoln Speedway, where my son and I are tech inspectors.

Ed

· Registered
75 Posts
I agree with Average Ed and CLS dirt rules. NASCAR is all about the money and promotions, to corporate, racing isn't a team sport. I can still remember when my Pops raced in Middletown NY, the modifieds hade guys like Buzzie Rutteman (I think it's David's dad) Will Cagle, Carl Fuzzy Van Horn, Bobby Malzahn, never a dull moment. I only try to watch the last 10 laps of a NASCAR race if I watch any at all. At least at the dirt tracks the drone of the motors would drowned out those darn nonsensical announcers. Dirt tracks rule. Joe B.

· Registered
45 Posts
You can't tell who is who. Tide soap powder followed by M&M's followed by the cartoon network, followed by McDonalds........ Give me a break, like watching paint dry, I would rather be breaking rock!!!!!!!!!

· Registered
6,205 Posts
Rick - it's only dirt and it washes off! They come out looking like this one.

Seriously, the trick is to scrape the heavy clay deposits from everywhere with a plastic spatula-like gadget every time the car comes off the track. Then when the races are over, remove the air filtration system from the injector stacks and bag the magneto before leaving the race track. Then you stop at the local high-pressure car wash before the remaining clay on the car dries and hardens. A few bucks later, you have a clean-as-new race car!

It will come out even cleaner if, prior to taking the car onto the track, everything receives a good coating of a substance that can best be described as baby oil in a pump sprayer. The stuff is sold for the purpose of keeping clay from sticking to the car and really helps with the post-race clean-up chores.

Ed

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.