Trapshooters Forum banner

My youth trap team has great day at Illinois SCTP state shoot

978 Views 3 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Jon Reitz
I can't help but be proud of these kids, so please bear with me while I brag on them a bit. Our intermediate entry squad is comprised of first year shooters in grades 6-8. It has been a pleasure to coach these young men and watch their trapshooting skills develop this year. Over the course of our season, these gents have figured out what it means to be a team and how each individual contributes to the overall team success.
Today at Sparta these young men competed in conditions that most veteran shooters will not shoot in. We had sustained winds of 20-25 mph and gusts as high as 35 mph. These troopers answered the call and managed to put together their best scores back to back of the season.
When the results were tallied, our squad had won second place falling just 16 birds short of claiming the first place title. I know they were all hoping to win but they gave it their absolute best effort. More importantly, when one of them had a bad round, the others picked him up and encouraged each other.
I can't begin to tell you how much I have enjoyed coaching. Days like today help restore my faith in our younger generation. I see them truly understand what teamwork and hard work can accomplish. This is what brings a smile to my face and keeps me motivated until the next season begins and we start another new class of recruits.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3,365 Posts
Good on you for helping the kids. I was at brittany the weekend before helping set targets and keeping things moving. Every year I'm more impressed by the way these kids shoot and the team spirit they show. If their our future, our future is looking up. Thanks to you for all you do for them!

· Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I must give credit to all our coaching staff and volunteers. When we started our program I know that none of us had any idea how much was involved to start and maintain a shooting program. We exist only because others have given unselfishly of their time and resources.

· Registered
Krieghoff K-80s
3,304 Posts
Good on you for helping the kids. I was at brittany the weekend before helping set targets and keeping things moving. Every year I'm more impressed by the way these kids shoot and the team spirit they show. If their our future, our future is looking up. Thanks to you for all you do for them!
What jk80 said. I’ve always had a youth trapshooting program for our kids, (11 years now). We find their good behavior as our paycheck or reward, and believe me it is rewarding. It provides an opportunity to help these kids in many other ways too as we help prepare them for bigger things (life). The graduates come back and always stop by to say hello.

Watching them mature from one year to the next is gratifying. COVID provided an opportunity to for us to come together as a group. The kids were forced completely out of their comfort zone, and really needed an outlet after being cooped up and out of school for the better part of a year and a half. They were pretty sullen when they showed up for “gunpowder therapy” this past shooting season. Fun to watch as they slipped back into their old selves again…and winning their 4th consecutive conference title didn’t hurt that either.

We also make sure they understand the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the Unity States completely, as well as the nut-jobs currently in office.

Thank you jk80.

Jon Reitz

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.