Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Beautiful. How about some more details... did you do all the work yourself?

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
7,895 Posts
Can someone explain grip caps (or whatever it’s called)?
No offense to anyone and it’s just my opinion but why would someone hack into the bottom of the grip just to add something that looks totally wrong?

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Can someone explain grip caps (or whatever it’s called)?
No offense to anyone and it’s just my opinion but why would someone hack into the bottom of the grip just to add something that looks totally wrong?
Wad, I have never added anything to my stocks until I saw the work of this silversmith in Texas, he made this for me and it fit perfect on my grip cap. Cap.jpg

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
7,895 Posts
Wad, I have never added anything to my stocks until I saw the work of this silversmith in Texas, he made this for me and it fit perfect on my grip cap. View attachment 1667991
That’s cool and I get that, what I’m talking about is the wood piece that some stocks have in them at the base of the grip. It’s like they cut out the bottom of the grip and say “let’s add a chunk of mis-matched wood and ebony” and I don’t get what the purpose is?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The wood is from white creek 1st one maple 2nd one myrtlewood. I had wenig do the inletting and the final fitting , checkering, and finish are my work about 30 hand applied coats of a tung oil product. I've done 4 model 12's aND a berreta ruby pigeon pump completely my work. As far as the wood inlay I personally like the contrast look.

·
Registered
31,603 Posts
Very, very nice work.

·
Registered
244 Posts
They are both stunning, but I really like the maple. I agree with Jr720 I also like the contrast of the wood inlay it adds a flare, but far from over the top IMO of course.

Shoot well! Mike

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Great work either way and I like the wood in the first picture better . The dark wood at the bottom of the grip is perfect ! I bought a piece of bubinga wood a few years back for a winter project ,but I guess the winters are to short around here ore I'm getting old and slow ?!? :) :)

·
Registered
585 Posts
When I 1st looked at the stock, I thought it was an ANTON stock. That was his trademark. And by the layers of wood, you could tell what grade/cost of the stock

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes I've got a 1st year bt 99 with what I believe he called the grand level, Claro walnut rollover with matching beaver tail forearm when I bought it the lacquer finish was badly checked it's since been refinished with tung oil. I've experimented with several types of grip caps on the stocks I've built

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I bought some Myrtlewood from White Creek. I’ve called Wening to see what a custom stock with my own wood would cost instead of buying wood from them. For comparison purposes, purely asthetics, I was having a hard time finding finished Myrtlewood stocks. Your stock looks great!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts