Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I stated in another thread, I decided I needed to lower my comb for proper fit, but it was already bottomed out. Options were to have the wood taken down, or have a duplicate soft comb made, but shorter. Since the stock has nice wood, I decided to have Tron make a soft comb, and asked him to make it 3/16" lower than the original. I sent it to him last Wednesday. Got it back today. I was unable to sign for it yesterday, or it would have been a day sooner. Still great turn around time.

Here are some pics. I thought I would need to put in a nylon washer'spacer to bring it up a tad, but it seems to be right where I want it already. With the comb being that much lower, I am able to raise the gun that much, so you can see in the pic I lowered the butt pad about 3/16 inch. I use a black sharpie to mark out the back of the plates of the butt pad, so it doesn't blind me when the sun hits it when it is resting on my toe pad.)

He also threw in a set of shorter posts. The gun feels great! Not sure if I'll be able to shoot it this weekend, but I'm looking forward to patterning it and shooting some rounds to see what might need adjusted!

Great craftsmanship and quick turnaround time! Of course, everybody already knew that. My first time working with him!

Wood Metal
Wood
Finger

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Great job by Tron ! When I read by John Henry >"I used a black sharpie ..... " I have to ask : can those adj. but plates either be powder coated or made out of anodized aluminum ?

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great job by Tron ! When I read by John Henry >"I used a black sharpie ..... " I have to ask : can those adj. but plates either be powder coated or made out of anodized aluminum ?
It would be great to have them made out of a flat black anodized aluminum. The sharpie still goes on kind of glossy......and as you can see, eventually rubs off.

·
Ya can't miss with a shotgun
3,057 Posts
Another option is to send the pieces out to a local guy and have them powder-coated with a flat black finish.....it's very durable and looks great.

Reactions: Tron

·
Vendor
1,454 Posts
As I stated in another thread, I decided I needed to lower my comb for proper fit, but it was already bottomed out. Options were to have the wood taken down, or have a duplicate soft comb made, but shorter. Since the stock has nice wood, I decided to have Tron make a soft comb, and asked him to make it 3/16" lower than the original. I sent it to him last Wednesday. Got it back today. I was unable to sign for it yesterday, or it would have been a day sooner. Still great turn around time.

Here are some pics. I thought I would need to put in a nylon washer'spacer to bring it up a tad, but it seems to be right where I want it already. With the comb being that much lower, I am able to raise the gun that much, so you can see in the pic I lowered the butt pad about 3/16 inch. I use a black sharpie to mark out the back of the plates of the butt pad, so it doesn't blind me when the sun hits it when it is resting on my toe pad.)

He also threw in a set of shorter posts. The gun feels great! Not sure if I'll be able to shoot it this weekend, but I'm looking forward to patterning it and shooting some rounds to see what might need adjusted!

Great craftsmanship and quick turnaround time! Of course, everybody already knew that. My first time working with him!

View attachment 1381241 View attachment 1381249 View attachment 1381257
Looks great John, can’t wait to see it at club.

·
Supporting Vendor
11,128 Posts
Thanks John Henry, you're a pleasure to work with. Yes, I do powder coating as well, but in this case you have a Kolar and I would try to match everything up to your polished receiver. I'd sand off that black coating, polish the aluminum up, add rubberized grip tape to the face of the upper plate so that it doesn't mar up the base plate and it would look much better.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks John Henry, you're a pleasure to work with. Yes, I do powder coating as well, but in this case you have a Kolar and I would try to match everything up to your polished receiver. I'd sand off that black coating, polish the aluminum up, add rubberized grip tape to the face of the upper plate so that it doesn't mar up the base plate and it would look much better.
Just so I follow you completely, ......the black area is where I used a sharpie marker to get it to stop reflecting the sun in to my eyes when I have it in the down position, and look down at the gun. Weird, I know, but it really blinds me on bright days!

So, are you saying you would powder coat that particular surface with a flat black, and then polish the side edges to match the gun? I understand the tape part.

·
Supporting Vendor
11,128 Posts
Just so I follow you completely, ......the black area is where I used a sharpie marker to get it to stop reflecting the sun in to my eyes when I have it in the down position, and look down at the gun. Weird, I know, but it really blinds me on bright days!

So, are you saying you would powder coat that particular surface with a flat black, and then polish the side edges to match the gun? I understand the tape part.
Yes, that's would work best.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
As an aside, it would have been nice if Tron had sanded the back of his comb smaller/shorter than the stock, so that when he added the naugahyde, the back of the comb would not have protruded beyond the stock itself.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.