Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve tried for a while to get my son into clay target shooting to no avail. That changed four days ago. I picked up a Remington 1100 with the prettiest wood I’ve seen on a standard factory gun. That got him. Out to the club today for open practice. First round he scored a 12. I was shickled titless.

Then the bug bit and he ended up shooting two more rounds. Scores were the same but he figured out the mechanics better. Smoke balls on a few. I was so pumped at his breaks that I pretty much shot the worst round I’ve shot this year.

Now he’s binge watching @RAMARK YouTube channel.

Back at it again tomorrow. I see disposable income dwindling.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Now that the bug has bitten him, it will be hard to hold him back. Keep him going and you will see improvements each week in his scores.

·
Premium Member
3,145 Posts
Good for him !!!
AND good for you !

Keep him watching Russell’s videos...

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
I'm still trying to get my oldest son into Trap, he a natural shot. He turned 27 today. He has committed to shooting jackpots over the winter with me. He goes because I supply the shells and pay his way.

·
5,388 Posts
Tried to get my son into shooting as well as my grandkids... it only goes so far if they don't have the internal itch.

I've seen any number of folks buy their kids guns and pallets of shells, to see it hibernate with girls/boys, cars, school, work, marriage and their own kids...

Too many modern day life distractions... lower your expectations so you're not disappointed... respectfully...

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
My Daughters actively shot with us, when they were young teens, and loved it. They moved to go to University, married, have careers, two children for one of them, and very full lives.- now 40 and 50 years old. Shooting is not part of their activities.
As a parent, you present opportunities. Your children will make their own lives and choices. I am not disappointed in the slightest.
You can be sure that our children are not anti-gun sports, unlike many people in their chosen fields of endeavour. My girls are very fond of reminiscing about our fishing and shooting as a family.
Our Grandchildren will get their chance to shoot with us (and camp, canoe, fish, etc.) should we outlive this Covid epidemic, and get back to our "real lives.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all. He’s 15. It was his first time ever handling a gun. Walked him through the protocol and foot position/hold points on a vacant trap.

He’s claimed dibs on the Rem 31-TC when it gets back from glen rock bluing.

·
5,388 Posts
...As a parent, you present opportunities. Your children will make their own lives and choices. I am not disappointed in the slightest.
You can be sure that our children are not anti-gun sports, unlike many people in their chosen fields of endeavour. My girls are very fond of reminiscing about our fishing and shooting as a family...
I didnt grow up with guns... however my wife's family introduced me to shooting in our courting and I got the itch. I have made the effort to expose shooting sports, fishing, etc to the kids.

While certain activities may not be their "thing"... you're so right about building great family memories and activity "allies"...

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
My three grandsons ages, 12, 14, 16 all shoot trap. I purchased all Browning BT99 micros for them. They shoot better then myself after two years of shooting which says something of my skill level.

They all cut lawns and shovel snow to pay for their shooting expenses and reloading supplies.

Best of luck to you and your boy.
Steve Balistreri
Wauwatosa Wisconsin

·
Registered
11,142 Posts
I started shooting with my dad when I was 12 yrs. old. After I was hooked, my dad bought a mec old style 600 jr. for me to load on. I had to make sure all my homework was done before I could reload for the both of us. For our weekend's shooting. If there were no shells to shoot, we could not go shooting!!!

Needless to say there was always plenty of shells to shoot for the weekend. Its good to see, many kids today still have the chance to get the wonderful memories I still have of shooting with my dad. Even though he is long gone now. I still have the shotgun he used while we both shot together. Sadly, my matching one serial number off shotgun was stolen out of my apt. when I was in my late 20's. sigh. But I still have his!!! So keep up the good work and keep taking your kids out shooting and build a life's time worth of memories for the both of you. break em all jeff

1 - 12 of 12 Posts