Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been contemplating building my own trap range here at the ranch for several years now. It is a 120 mile round trip for me just to practice and the shooting hours are limited. So I just ordered a lower end Mec and will build my own house and field so I can continue to shoot while the shutdown is on and will have readily available practice in the future. My wife will pull for me but eventually I will buy a voice activated transmitter for it.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I have been contemplating building my own trap range here at the ranch for several years now. It is a 120 mile round trip for me just to practice and the shooting hours are limited. So I just ordered a lower end Mec and will build my own house and field so I can continue to shoot while the shutdown is on and will have readily available practice in the future. My wife will pull for me but eventually I will buy a voice activated transmitter for it.
I’m sure the MEC is much better but my wife got me a cheap Champion Wheelybird for Christmas. It has worked very well and has been a lot of fun so far and I don’t have to go anywhere. Not going to build a house for it but it’s a big step up from what I had! It came with a wireless remote so she can sit anywhere and pull for me.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I already had a single stack (50 clays) Champion thrower with a foot pedal. We have had a lot of fun with it over the years and will continue to use it. We host cook outs and set it up about 30 yards from our deck and throw targets towards the creek. We call it eat and skeet and I bring out an assortment of guns and lay them out so folks can try different guns & their own of course. I get some interesting trade offers, like a Mossberg 500 for a Browning CXS or a 3200. I do an inventory at the end of the day!

The Champion I have is not compatible with an oscilating base, so that combined with only holding 50 targets it is not the optimum thrower for practicing ATA trap. I got the Mec E100 ata model that has a larger carousel that holds 135 targets. I debated with getting the wobble version but decided to keep it simple to keep the cost down. We have bunks of railroad ties here at the ranch and I plan on digging a pit and lining 3 sides with the ties as well as barn door track and rollers for the sliding roof.

·
Banned
16,304 Posts
Just guessing here.
But I think it’s probable that more and more people are doing just the same.
Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I speak from experience, I built mine so that I could better help the kids, man we used it a lot the first 4 years then they got out of school and moved on the range kind of sit still, I know however have a new group of parents that have started using it again, great to see the kids out shooting and smiling and having fun. I shoot very seldom but nice to know it's there if I want to use it. You build it and will enjoy it for years to come, my only regret is not building it while my Dad was alive to come shoot with me and enjoy it.
I started with an Atlas AT-250 trap which worked OK unless you got a good squad then you shot the same target every time no interrupter, in that model. I moved up to a PAT with Canterbury wired releases and it is a lot of fun.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Often when practicing I like to work on something specific and will work extensively at one station, or check my comb height with all straightaways etc. I look forward to being able to do this at home at anytime without disrupting others. I recently purchased a shotkam and have picked up a few things with that. It will be great to watch the video and if I see something be able to go right back in a reasonably short period of time and work to a solution. Most of my friends are not interested in shooting registered trap and prefer the aforementioned informal stuff. That is where a wobble would have been nice but it would not get the use to justify the cost. I can see some fun combining my champion with the trap field to get a little sporting clays type action for the fun of it.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Our club is small, last year only had 25 members, we normally don't open til mid April and this year we still have 2' of snow on the ground so will be a while yet, the thing is we could easily shoot once the weather cooperates and still practice social distance and not break the provincial max 10 people in a group rule that is in effect here.
Given that I am the president of the club I will talk with the other executive and we'll see what we can work out, maybe something like afternoons 3 shoot times at 90 minute intervals book a shoot time, no more than 1 squad at a time, lots of options, will see what shakes out.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I built my skeet field several years ago and I use it all the time. Don't have to go anywhere i have a high house 10 tf. and a low house at 4 ft. . I use a remote that hangs around my neck. The house are place 90 degrees to each other and I have 9 shooting stations in an oval out front.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Nice MBA5!
It has been a dream of mine for several years to have a range at home. It is a ways down the road tho since I don't have the space/location yet. I'm not sure how often I would use it since the camaraderie of shooting is one of the best parts. But it would certainly be nice for practice. I would try to go all in and make it a combo trap/skeet field.

·
Premium Member
3,210 Posts
Just my $0.02 worth …… Go ahead and bite the bullet and put a PAT in upfront. Long term you will be glad you did.
And full disclosure - I do have a field on family member farm - -

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just my $0.02 worth …… Go ahead and bite the bullet and put a PAT in upfront. Long term you will be glad you did.
And full disclosure - I do have a field on family member farm - -
Agree with the Pat trap bullet. Look around, I got a used one for a good price. And just finished my trap house (on wheels). Was shooting out of the shed doors for the last few years.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Plan to talk to my kids about setting up the Nintendo Duck Hunt on live stream so we can all form a Virtual Trap League based off the NASCAR Virtual Racing format.

Won't that be exciting?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts