Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason I like Rottweil’s. It may be because twenty years ago I owned a couple that I shot pretty well. Of course when I was a snot nose kid of 60 I could shoot anything better than I can now.
Over the past several months I’ve acquired seven Rottweil’s, everything from a parts gun to a combo that’s showroom new.
I decided to turn one of the so-so guns into a combination skeet and trap gun. This one has a 30” O/U barrel that had been polished for re-bluing but never done, Briley skeet choke tubes, a trap stock that had wood removed from the comb to make it shoot flat and also shorten to 14 ¼” (I need 143/4).
The first thing I did was send the barrel for bluing (the chrome look was blinding) and since I’m a lefty, I did a hot oil bend on the stock to take out the RH cast and add 1/4” of LH cast.
I cut the comb and installed a SPS adjusting kit and installed a SPS adjustable LOP butt plate and new kickeez pad. I refinished the wood using Tru-Oil and polished it out with rottenstone and installed a sight blinder. As a final step I added what I call a trap conversion kit; plastic washers to adjust the comb for trap and used M and IM extended choke tubes.
I now have a gun that I can use for skeet, trap singles, doubles, and middle yardage handicap. My only regret so that I don’t have any “before” pictures.

Cost of project:
Gun (with very nice hard case) $800.00
Stock bending, (cooking oil) 7.50
SPS adjustable comb kit 33.00
SPS Adjustable LOP plate 59.50
Kickeez Pad 35.00
Tru-Oil 5.00
Barrel bluing 80.00
Trap kit (used choke tubes and washers 50.00
Sight blinder (free, made from banding material)
Total Cost: $1070.00

Gun Shotgun Trigger Gun barrel Revolver
Musical instrument Folk instrument Plucked string instruments String instrument Bowed string instrument
Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Shotgun

·
Registered
182 Posts
That turned out really nice. Plus, you have the satisfaction of doing it yourself. Where did you get the barrels blued?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
906 Posts
Very nice. I don't own one, but I did line one up for my brother in Az. I believe they are well made and under valued. How did you manage to pick up seven of them? When I check the gun sites, I rarely see any Rottweils.

·
Premium Member
1,747 Posts
Very nice looking gun.
I have always been a fan of Rottweils.
To my knowledge they were the first trap gun that has adjustable POI. Way ahead of its time. And had drop out beautiful jeweled triggers. I never saw any of their o/u,s that didn't have the same POI. Very well made guns.

Chris Vendel run 500 out of 500 singles marathon with a Rottweil at a shoot in New York.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
ONLY problem I ever had with my Rottweil was the tube holding the spring for the hammer broke.

Chris Vendel made those tubes so you could use them on either side and they were STRONG.

I would put Chris up against anyone who services Rotties, he is the best in my opinion.

Slickhead, Yep Chris was the first in NY state to run 500 straight, and the 11th in the USA

Eyewear Sunglasses Cap Headgear Recreation

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
again another nice looking Rottweil, you seem to pick good ones. and sell off the best of them.
Ya Tommy, I'll be putting this one up for sale soon. I have three other skeet guns and six (or is it seven?) trap guns. Didn't really need a skeet/trap, just a fun project to kill some winter days. This is an ideal gun for a causal weekend shooter. Also easy to convince the wife it's like getting four guns for the price of one.;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts