Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
21,599 Posts
I question how secure it could be but how many thieves would check the fridge for guns? I believe I wouldn't have told everyone where they are hid though. Definitely thinking outside the box or inside the box depending on how you look at it.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Not bad! I made a drying cabinet for finishing gunstocks out of one once...a small light bulb above, a small fan on the floor.

Actually, a big part of my security plan is hiding stuff. A safe in full view will surely attract attention. If you were going away for a few days, you could stack some boxes in front of it, throw some dust on it, drape the cord over the top to show it's unused. An old empty fridge might be the last thing a burglar would open.

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Inovative.....A lot cheaper than a gun safe. Old stand up or horizontal freezers used to have lock's on them, and lots of them around.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
theives look in refrigerators for money, that's where people put money. you can go through a refrigerator with a can opener. it would be good for primers & powder. buy a safe. cheaper than 1 gun.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
I have encouraged this type of storage for years. When I was on the Fire Department, After a pretty bad house fire, the food in the refrigerator was still OK -- I was astonished!! Guns would be just as safe from fire.

Security -- maybe buy a cheapo-safe, put some "junkers" in it. Use the rusty old upright freezer - fixed for gun storage - for the good stuff and above ALL -- KEEP QUIET about it....jmho....merlyn

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
OK i wanted to find out for myself how "Strong" is a "Fridge". Loaded up the Cordless 1/2 drill, Cordless Reciprocating Saw, Drill bits and a LONG pry bar. drove to the "Dump" and Found a Recent "Fridge" to attack !!!!.After drilling a large hole in the side big enough to put a metal cutting blade. LET me tell you IT was a Job to cut the side or the back or front out of this thing. lots of noise getting a hole large enough to remove ANYTHING. The only weak spot i noticed were the Hinges. If a person could "Cover the Hinges" where they could not be "Popped open" it would be pretty secure. Not a Bad way to spend a Saturday afternoon. Saw some folks out at the Dump "Christmas" shopping for their FAVORITE Relatives !!!!!!!!!!! Joe joe90t

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
I have about 80 pounds of powder and that would make a good place to store it. I won't put a bulb in it though as the posibility of fire kind of scares me. LOL Jackie B.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
I love your safe, but a true ******* would turn a real gun safe into a fridge for his beer. I'll be over to get a cool one when you, Git r Done!

·
Supporting Vendor
1,278 Posts
The reason a thief is stealing your guns is because he is hungry amd needs money to buy food. Therefore he will look in the fridge. But i love your set up. Terry

·
Registered
425 Posts
Great idea! Most theives that are going to break into an average every day home are not going to spend the time to break into your red neck safe. Most theives are tweakers looking for some thing they can grap real fast that they can turn into a quick buck. Most of them aren't going to have anything other then a pry bar if that. A true professional burglar could crack open any safe, but i doubt the true professional is going to waste his time breaking into houses in my neighborhood. They are looking for a bigger score. I have a nice gun safe that makes me feel better about leaving home but if I couldn't afford one I would make me some type of red neck safe like the one PapCharlie made.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.