Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you guys remember I inherited a perazzi mx3 special 28” skeet with kohler tubes. I’m a new trap shooter and currently using a bt99. I asked you guys about choking the perazzi to shooting trap with it. Majority of you told me it was the wrong gun for the job. That I was wasting my money and defacing the gun.

Anyways after sitting on consignment a few months for 4K with no bites my dealer took the gun on trade for a new browning 725 trap 32” with adjustable comb.

I also signed up for private lessons with A gentleman named George Lehr. Not sure who he is but I was told he was a great shooter, teacher and the man to see in my area. If he can help me with the basic fundamentals like a consistent gun mount and stance it will be worth it’s weight in gold.

I need to find a good case and I read on here that I should throw the browning chokes away and get extended chokes. I was going to wait till Saturday to take my class and see what Mr Lehr suggested on chokes.

I’m excited.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would shoot the chokes, that come with it. I chased the choke thing for one full season and in the end I went with the full choke that come with it.
Is there any truth to extended chokes are a good insurance policy to protect the end of the barrel? Guy at club told me that.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
No George Lehr listed on the ATA shooter center. So I googled him...he is a skeet shooter. You might be better severed taking lessons from a trap shooter since you just traded in a skeet gun.

·
What squad am I on?
GU 725 Adj Combo & CG Summit Combo.
8,262 Posts
Is there any truth to extended chokes are a good insurance policy to protect the end of the barrel? Guy at club told me that.
If you need a barrel protector you'd better figure out how to shoot with a helmet on.

True story...

Two years ago, shooting singles at the Cardinal Center I was standing on my post when I started feeling/hearing "thump, thump, thump". Guy to my right was bashing his barrel into the concrete. His stock also had bite marks. Ain't makin this up.

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
Congratulations on the new gun.

You might consider a DVD from a top Trap Shooter.
Lots of good information, especially for a new comer.

Its All Good

West

·
Registered
467 Posts
What someone may have alluded to when referring to the extended choke tubes for protection might be from dropping the muzzle on to a hard surface.

I speak from experience. While traveling on a cart I had a barrel (w/o a tube installed) fall off the cart land on the muzzle . Created a 1/2" flat spot. Had a flush tube been in the barrel it might have only skinned up the bluing. An extended tube may have taken the brunt ilo the barrel itself. As it was it cost me the barrel repair & the bluing expense.

Whether you use flush or extended is a matter of your choice & what you have confidence in. Just keep a tube in it.

·
Registered
906 Posts
If you need a barrel protector you'd better figure out how to shoot with a helmet on.

True story...

Two years ago, shooting singles at the Cardinal Center I was standing on my post when I started feeling/hearing "thump, thump, thump". Guy to my right was bashing his barrel into the concrete. His stock also had bite marks. Ain't makin this up.
Just curious, were his initials D.S.?

·
Registered
906 Posts
Several good reasons to get extended chokes but I agree with BT-99. Stick the flush Full in the gun and shoot it for a year. By then you will have a pretty good idea of what you want to do about chokes.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No George Lehr listed on the ATA shooter center. So I googled him...he is a skeet shooter. You might be better severed taking lessons from a trap shooter since you just traded in a skeet gun.
correct. He is a skeet shooter. I found him on rochester Brooks website as a “skeet instructor”. There weren’t any “trap instruction” listed. I emailed him and asked him if he knew of any trap instructors and he said he been shooting trap and skeet for over 40+ years and he could help. I need help with the basics. I shot a 24 and two 12s on Monday. I think my gun mount is killing me.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Yes, I would recommend using a extended choke to protect the end of the barrel after you figure out which choke you are going to use. Brownings like IM and full from Carlson's. That's my choice on my single shot Brownings.

·
Premium Member
6,278 Posts
correct. He is a skeet shooter. I found him on rochester Brooks website as a “skeet instructor”. There weren’t any “trap instruction” listed. I emailed him and asked him if he knew of any trap instructors and he said he been shooting trap and skeet for over 40+ years and he could help. I need help with the basics. I shot a 24 and two 12s on Monday. I think my gun mount is killing me.
Where are you from? Might be able to assist with bonafide trap instructor.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
A 24 indicates that you did many things consistently. Note that I don't say "correctly".

There is no "correct", as long as essential safety rules are followed, but consistency of shot routine, mount and shot execution are crucial.

A good coach-whatever their preferred discipline, as long as it is a clay target event-should focus on those three things, observe you and iron out the minor variations between shots. They should NOT make you shoot as they do.

Just my 2c.

·
Premium Member
6,278 Posts
If you guys remember I inherited a perazzi mx3 special 28” skeet with kohler tubes. I’m a new trap shooter and currently using a bt99. I asked you guys about choking the perazzi to shooting trap with it. Majority of you told me it was the wrong gun for the job. That I was wasting my money and defacing the gun.

Anyways after sitting on consignment a few months for 4K with no bites my dealer took the gun on trade for a new browning 725 trap 32” with adjustable comb.

I also signed up for private lessons with A gentleman named George Lehr. Not sure who he is but I was told he was a great shooter, teacher and the man to see in my area. If he can help me with the basic fundamentals like a consistent gun mount and stance it will be worth it’s weight in gold.

I need to find a good case and I read on here that I should throw the browning chokes away and get extended chokes. I was going to wait till Saturday to take my class and see what Mr Lehr suggested on chokes.

I’m excited.
725's should come with extended chokes. For now they're all you need.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts