Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of you know I like to tinker with and build custom stocks. Well, I thought id share a few pictures of my current stock project.

This is for a Kolar Max TA I'm having built. This stock started out as a straight stock off of a low rib T/C. I've added a palm swell, finger grips, raised the comb, widened the comb, and BONDOed the heck out of it. This stock is far from finished but I'm waiting until I receive the gun to fine tune it. I still haven't decided if I want to have it painted or have it duplicated. Thanks for looking BYG
berettayounggun_2008_0303200.jpg

berettayounggun_2008_0303201.jpg

berettayounggun_2008_0303202.jpg

berettayounggun_2008_0303203.jpg

·
Vendor
19,381 Posts
Byg. While transferring some files yesterday i came across a gun with a bondo stock. Adn wondered whay I kept it. I still cannot answer that, but it pretty much is an earlier version of this one above.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Out of curiosity, since you were going to tear it up anyway, why didn't you trade someone for a plainer piece of wood? Looks like a beautiful stock underneath? Oh well? Cheers, Stu

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stu42 - I actually purchased this stock with this in mind. It was a really beautiful piece of wood but I got it for a great price and it was literally the only stock I could find for the price I was willing to pay. BYG

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
Nice project. That was the first thing I thought also, Damn, that is a nice piece of English under that Bondo.

The second was the nickname, Goose. LOL

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Looks like your doing a good job. I personally could care less about wood as long as it fits you. Please post pictures when you are finished. I never used Bondo before, how long does it take to fully dry, and once it is dry does it get as hard as wood?
Steve Balistreri
Wauwatosa Wisconsin

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Steve, when wet Bondo is the consistancy of drywall compound. After you apply it you have about 5 minutes to mold it before it is too hard to mold. It sets fully and is ready to sand or file in about 30 minutes and is just as hard as wood.

On my first couple stocks I used wood putty. This Bondo is a miracle substance compared to the wood putty. It takes 24 hours to dry and is very soft and brittle. BYG

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Steve, when wet Bondo is the consistancy of drywall compound. After you apply it you have about 5 minutes to mold it before it is too hard to mold. It sets fully and is ready to sand or file in about 30 minutes and is just as hard as wood.

On my first couple stocks I used wood putty. This Bondo is a miracle substance compared to the wood putty. It takes 24 hours to dry and is very soft and brittle. BYG

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Rick:
I hate to admit it, but very true.
Steve

BYG:
Thanks for the Bondo info, will probably try it in the future. Does Bondo come in any other colors other than white?
Steve

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Steve,

There are color differences, but it's not as though you select a color. The base is usually white or tan and most of the color comes from the tiny amount of hardener used.

If you're new to building with Bondo, I suggest you read what I had to say in the above link.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The stuff I'm using is the BODY FILLER BONDO. the base is a pale gray color and the hardener is a red brick color. When they are dry its a reddish/pink. When sanded it turns a white/faded pink. BYG

·
Banned
1,598 Posts
I like the idea of using bondo for a test or prototype but it will not hold up. Bodyfiller is not to be thicker than 3/16" this is right out of the text book. It should never be used to build a edge or be a structure based product. However, with that said what your are doing will look very nice when done. Specially if you keep the filler out of any heavy contact areas. But keep in mind larger filled areas WILL shrink and crack over time.

It would be my suggestion to use the prototype to build a better stock with lamination of wood products and carving. I wonder what these 3d printers could do to??

·
Vendor
19,381 Posts
BYG. I have a couple of those "glove" stocks if you want a pic or two I'll be happy to do that for you.d

jack

1 - 20 of 22 Posts