Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:
For the past 44 years I have shot mostly 870's for trap. I went shooting today and my arms are dragging as my TB is just to heavy for me. I went from a 30" barrel down to a 28" barrel and the gun is still to heavy for me.

Is there a trap gun out there that is lighter than the 870 and has less felt recoil then the 870?
Steve Balistreri
Wauwatosa Wisconsin?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Browning Gold Semi Auto seems lite and very soft recoil. Shot one years back and liked the 28" hunter model at sporting clays.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I agree with resting your gun between shots..........makes a world of difference to me. Shamrock Leather makes a big leather one that really works great!

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Good advice Rick for anyone of any age IMHO. Muscle tired-ness is so subtle sometimes.

I just find that I hold steadier on every bird if I dismount the gun right away and rest the weight on the ground or my toe pad.

Bill

·
Registered
6 Posts
Surely there enuf other guns being used at a club like Waukesha that you could convince some of those folks shooting them to let you try other guns to see if there is one that suits you better.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Have to agree that the Browning gold is a very light gun with not much recoil.

Good field gun but I never could hit much when I tried it for trap.

Bill

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
If one of the guys at the club were to let you shoot a Beretta Parallel Target, you probably wouldn't be disappointed. Very soft shooter, fairly light and well balance in my opinion.

·
Registered
14,692 Posts
The new Beretta A400 series weighs only 6 pounds 13 ounces, and you can get with the "kick off" recoil reducer.

My 870 weighs 8 3/4 pounds. since 870's shoot pretty flat, your POI could be comparable

The A400 20 gauge weighs a mere 5 pounds.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Steve, another negative about lighter guns is they have less discipline. The weight gives them inertia, or momentum, or whatever it is that causes the gun to "flow" to the target. Light guns stop on a dime, and since stopping the gun is one of the two biggest problems in all of wingshooting, a lighter gun is going to create more problems.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Remington makes a Light Contour barrel for the 870 as well as for the 1100 already mentioned. I have one on my wife's shotgun and she loves it. If you give this a try, you can stay with your familiar shotgun and not have to go through a learning period. -Ed

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I agree with SMOKIT. Doing some resistance training with light weights is a great way to strengthen week muscles. Do some leg exercises also...keeping your legs strong will pay off when standing for long periods of time while shooting. Dale

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
I've mentioned this before, but when a pinched nerve due to collapsed discs in my neck resulted in a loss of over half my strength in my left arm, my 1187 trap gun became too heavy for me.

So I took my 20ga 1187 Premier field gun, and fitted it with a 12ga monte carlo buttstock. All that needs to be done is reduce the sides and the top of the tenon (the part that fits into the back of the receiver). I did this by tracing the 20ga stock bearing plate onto the 12ga stock. Then slowly removed material with a razor sharp chisel until it fit, testing frequently. The trigger area of the stock needs no work at all. The stock is a wee bit wider on the sides and is slightly taller on top. The difference is not noticeable until you get close to it. In a nutshell it's a 7/8 scale trap gun.

I'm very happy with the performance. It will cycle loads that are lighter than an unaltered 12ga 1100 or 1187. Like the cheap 2.5 dram 7/8 oz promo loads from Mao Mart. The gun is more 'lively' than a 12ga, so you have to learn to slow down with it. My scores for singles and doubles are the same with it as my heavier 12ga. Where it really shines is for sporting clays.

If you insist on a 12ga and want light weight, at one time Remington made an 1196, which is an 1187 with the rear of the receiver shaved for lighter weight, with a light contour barrel. These sometimes turn up for sale. There are also 30" light contour barrels out there. IIRC, the current 1100 Trap gun has a light contour barrel.

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the good advice. Will the light contour barrels work on an 870TB? I just received a PM from a guy who suggested that I try a 870 barrel without a rib?

I have a 28inch full choke barrel without a rib that I will try. Never shot a barrel without a rib for trap before, only hunting.
Steve

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
A light contour barrel will fit. And the saved weight is better than going ribless.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Seniorsmoke,
I have a 391 trap and the recoil is easy, but I almost need a weight up front. I have other 391's for sporting, and they are ok. I like 870's and 1100's and I agree, they are nose heavy. Try a Beretta auto, they work and are available. Someone at your gun club most likely has one.
That idea of shooting a plain barrel, wow, that is going to be a lively gun! I have a 28" full, plain and when I put it on my trap receiver, its like a different gun.
Good shooting,
Dan

1 - 20 of 43 Posts