Trapshooters Forum banner

My Friend Needs A Little Help...........

1730 Views 17 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  ezz555
A friend of mine has had cancer. In the course of getting rid of it, he has had his voice box removed by surgery.

He would like to shoot some trap, but does not know how to be able to call for the bird. I suggested maybe a whistle, but he isn't sure he can blow one.

I said I would check it out over the weekend and get back to him.

I'm sure someone on this forum might have a great answer or two.

Please, would you be able to help my friend out by telling me what is a good way for him to continue shooting?

Thanks everyone, I do appreciate any ideas in advance.

Hauxfan!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
231 Posts
you could use the recorder on your cell phone,
hit record, wait about 10-15 (long enough for him to put the phone back in his pouch and mount his gun) and then it says "PULL"

or you could squad next to him or anyone with the understanding up front, when he mounts his gun and nods his head or taps his foot you say pull for him,

nothings perfect but it gets him shooting,

· Registered
36,877 Posts
I've seen a device that either mounts to the gun or the shooters vest/belt. It makes a loud "beep" and sets off the speaker. It may be controlled by timer or a button? Can't remember exactly.
I have seen this too, but also like you, cannot remember who or where.

Something inexpensive like a clicker or “cricket” noise maker might set off the trap. Need to experiment with such devices as one might not work on all traps either. Would not be that hard to mount a mechanical clicker or electronic beeper on a forearm and the mic standing in the center of the pad might be necessary. There are some electronic devices but something like “Smartphone Voice” might not be suitable in a fast moving round of trap. Should be a “noisemaker” of some kind, small enough to work, yet not set off a neighboring trap,

· Registered
3,963 Posts
Several years back, before the days of smartphones and such, I pulled/scored a couple of rounds (before wired voice releases even) for a shooter who had a small button on his shotgun's forearm connected by thin wires to a small buzzer clipped to his vest. He told me, via a note, about the buzzer being his "Pull" call. Worked well for him. It was loud enough to hear at the scorer's chair.

Don't know where he got the parts but I am sure some could be found nowadays. Being loud enough to hear several feet away, it should easily trigger a voice release just a few inches from the microphone.

· Registered
6 Posts
Lots of good ideas! Do you think the tone of the wistle matters?
I don’t have any new ideas but will say I smoke a cigar when I shoot and if I can do that holding and blowing a whistle shouldn’t be hard.

There are also shot timers used for things like USPSA that often have a delay setting, probably can even find an app for the phone. Have it on the belt w a 3 second delay. Hit the button and mount the gun. Of course that only gives x amount of time

· Registered
204 Posts
Shot handicap next to a fella at New Mexico state shoot a few years ago. Started out and I here a beep to my left, squad cycles through and I here it again. It happens a third time, I'm getting ticked, I think shut that phone or what ever off ! We slide to the right for the next post, give him "the look", and here he has a hole in his throat. My whole demeaner changed at once and I admired him for finding a way to shoot and do what he loves. It sounded like a dog collar for a pointing dog. I don't know if he adapted it or bought it, had wires and a button zip tied to his gun. At the end of the round, nodded and said " it was a pleasure to shoot with you". One of the few times in my mid 60's I was almost speechless.

· Registered
2,394 Posts
I know it very good shooter that uses the remote doorbell as well. It works well with the with the electronic release system we have as well as skeet shooting for his calling for the target. Tapes the push button on the side of gun where he can reach it as hi grips the forend a has the bell on his belt

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.