Trapshooters Forum banner

My first Pat trap vandalism

4485 Views 32 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  Steve12
Someone used what looks like a screwdriver to poke a hole in the pump oil tank. The club manager sent one of the club maintenance boys to get another tank from me. This field is closed. The token box needs a new circuit board. It been about 3 mounts waiting on a new board to come in.
I have 1 field working. I will go out Wednesday and teach the maintenance worker how to set up the wobble pat trap. This young man is great. He lets me know what's going on. I explained briefly in my ctrain how to remove and install a new tank. I bought 4 new tanks recently and used them on other non working pat traps. I am paying for parts out of my pocket. Call it donated.
I am waiting on the club manager to take the other Pat Trap Wobbly to Homer for repair. Still waiting.
Thanks for listening. Gotta vent now and then.
Steve
Liquid Water Fluid Helmet Finger
Liquid Fluid Ingredient Cuisine Ice cube
Reactions: SecondChance
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
13,015 Posts
This happened at a club I know of once. Only this involved a skeet machine. They finally caught the jerk and he was expelled AND prosecuted. One of the club members secretly set op a game trail camera and they saw he was the last guy to enter the house that day and no one else entered the house until the next time the club opened. He went in to supposedly load the high house just before closing but sabotaged the machine. His motive was revenge because the club had banned a family member of his. I do hope you caught the creep.

· Registered
1,107 Posts
Have you considered epoxy on the damage? The tank will not look pristine but it will be functionable.
Gotta be careful with the choice of epoxy. Many will fail when expose to hydraulic oil. Must be rated for it. You don't want it floating around before the filters pick it up.

· Registered
156 Posts
I like the suggested ideas of a sealant like silicone, epoxy (JB Weld). Believe it or not, I have had good luck with a quality electrical tape to seal small holes in a non-stress area. One example comes to mind is a four quart aluminum pan i have with a pin hole in the bottom. Put a piece of electrical tape on the inside and outside, sealing the hole. Not subject to heat, just use the pan to wash fish fillets. Been years and still no leaks. I also sealed a leak in the gas tank of my 69 Plymouth with silicone seal, lasted for years and never leaked. You have new tanks so that will work too!

· Registered
2,397 Posts
The pat trap uses 5-20 motor oil. With the cost of replacing a pump or motor it is cheaper to just install a new tank.
being cheap is a undesirable conclusion. Would you want to shoot at a club that had junk machines.
failures during a tournament are a big no no.
Steve
I always ask myself "Are up too poor to buy cheap?" meaning do I want to skimp now to pay more later. Usually the answer to that question is spend a little more up front.

· Premium Member
15,951 Posts
If the hole were on a flat surface you could use a nut/bolt/washer to seal the leak - perhaps a home made washer from bicycle inner-tube.

Just turn the hole into a round hole with a drill, add an appropriate sized bolt with nut/washer/rubber washer and tighten.

I've seen small holes in metal/plastic tanks plugged with a sheet metal screw and rubber washer as well...

· Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If the hole were on a flat surface you could use a nut/bolt/washer to seal the leak - perhaps a home made washer from bicycle inner-tube.

Just turn the hole into a round hole with a drill, add an appropriate sized bolt with nut/washer/rubber washer and tighten.

I've seen small holes in metal/plastic tanks plugged with a sheet metal screw and rubber washer as well...
I have 3 old ones that I could use in an emergency.
I have enough money to do it right. I still have to replace more hoses on the old gals they deteriorate sitting in the sun for several years.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.