Trapshooters Forum banner
221 - 240 of 277 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Stevens Model 311 side by side in 20 ga. Dad bought it for $17. My hands were so small that when reaching for the trigger, it kicked so hard back on my middle finger that is bruised and swelled up like a balloon. Dad took a hacksaw and cut the back of the trigger guard off so I could reach the triggers. Didn't do much for the resale of the gun. Don't know what happened to this old timer. Saved my $'s and in 1964 bought a 12 ga Model 12 with a full choke. Killed a lot of pheasants, sage grouse, hungarian partridges and sharptail grouse with that old Mdl 12.

·
Registered
SKB 85TSS; Beretta 694
59 Posts
BB gun as we were walking pheasants technically. But, once I convinced my dad that I needed something a little more he brought out the LC Smith side by side 20 gauge for me. I used that LC Smith on a lot of doves. Then got a Browning BPS 20 gauge for my 10th BDay.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Sixteen years old and friend was going dove hunting. This is long before I knew what Trap even was. Looked for several weeks, decided the new Mossberg pump with the adjustable choke and the safety on the tang was the next best thing to a model 12 and at about half the price it had to be the steal of the century. Think it was like $29.00 and change. Got my dad to take me to the sporting goods store in Washington, DC. Really thought I was something when we walked out of the store with my new hunting machine. Don’t think I even test fired before the dove hunt.

There was a farm that grew 100’s of acres of corn just off route 50 couple miles short of Leesburg, Va. There where were literally tens of thousands of doves. They feed on the corn left after harvest and would fly from these fields a couple miles to the north and water in the Potomac river. Back and forth several times a day. With no exaggerations sometimes the sky was blocked when thousands would take flight as we walked from field to field.

Well here I am with the new super hunting machine. Droped a round in the open action, closed, proceeded to load the magazine. Boy now I’m gonna be the envy of my buddy Richard, I’m ready to show him how it’s done. Well all didn’t go to plan. First dove that flew over we shot at. Really don’t remember if either of us scored. Do remember when I racked the action and fired a second shot the third round released from the magazine and wedged itself under the bolt. The action was jammed. End of my first and less than glorious day of doving. Young dumb and not very savvy went home with my Mossberg between my legs.

At home was able to take a kitchen butter knife and managed to get the round back into the magazine. Don’t remember all the following repeat issues, a lot and all the same, so had a noted gunsmith in Falls Church area that looked at it and said it’s a bad design. Mossberg eventually went to a double action bar like the “more expensive guns” I hadn’t bought and supposedly solved the problem. I can’t attest they did but I was never happier than once that #%#* was sold.
Exactly what mine was. Mine however was a westernfield (I think) manufactured for Montgomery wards. It was identical to the mossberg 500 though. Killed many rabbits with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
208 Posts
Sixteen years old and friend was going dove hunting. This is long before I knew what Trap even was. Looked for several weeks, decided the new Mossberg pump with the adjustable choke and the safety on the tang was the next best thing to a model 12 and at about half the price it had to be the steal of the century. Think it was like $29.00 and change. Got my dad to take me to the sporting goods store in Washington, DC. Really thought I was something when we walked out of the store with my new hunting machine. Don’t think I even test fired before the dove hunt.

There was a farm that grew 100’s of acres of corn just off route 50 couple miles short of Leesburg, Va. There where were literally tens of thousands of doves. They feed on the corn left after harvest and would fly from these fields a couple miles to the north and water in the Potomac river. Back and forth several times a day. With no exaggerations sometimes the sky was blocked when thousands would take flight as we walked from field to field.

Well here I am with the new super hunting machine. Droped a round in the open action, closed, proceeded to load the magazine. Boy now I’m gonna be the envy of my buddy Richard, I’m ready to show him how it’s done. Well all didn’t go to plan. First dove that flew over we shot at. Really don’t remember if either of us scored. Do remember when I racked the action and fired a second shot the third round released from the magazine and wedged itself under the bolt. The action was jammed. End of my first and less than glorious day of doving. Young dumb and not very savvy went home with my Mossberg between my legs.

At home was able to take a kitchen butter knife and managed to get the round back into the magazine. Don’t remember all the following repeat issues, a lot and all the same, so had a noted gunsmith in Falls Church area that looked at it and said it’s a bad design. Mossberg eventually went to a double action bar like the “more expensive guns” I hadn’t bought and supposedly solved the problem. I can’t attest they did but I was never happier than once that #%#* was sold.
Mine is a Mossberg 600 . Still have it and shoot Trap with it very well. Changed the barrel to a 28” v rib, modified the stock added an adjustable butt plate. It’s a clay killer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My first Shotgun was a Winchester model 37A. 30 inch barrel with full choke. I was 13 years old and bought it at Weatherby's in South Gate, Ca. In 1974. Now that I live in Wyoming, I'll have to visit their Store in Sheridan.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
167 Posts
The first shotgun I shot was my dad's JCHeggins bolt action 16 gauge. A couple of buddies would get together at a local farm and shoot clay birds. When I turned 18 in the early 90's and bought a Mossberg 500 in 12 gauge, still have it and still hunt with it. I couldn't tell you how many 1000's of rounds have been through that gun but it still goes bang when I pull the trigger.

·
Registered
28 Posts
1969 after Hunter's safety course I started hunting with Dad's mdl 12 16 ga. That is if one of my older brothers wasn't using it. Then Dad surprised us all and got us each 870's, 12 ga. 2 3/ in. full choke. I still have both guns, the 16 and the 12 ga. My surviving brother has his 870 and the other brothers as well. Quit shooting the 870 when they went to steel for water foul but still get the 16 out once a year for a couple rounds of trap.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Mine was an h&r 410 that my dad gave me. Killed a lot of squirrel and rabbit with that gun. I sold it to my great uncle when I was in high school. He has passed now and I'm not sure where it is. Wish I would have hung on to it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I learned to shoot with a 22 410 over under that was given to dad by his grandad. Then a 97 Winchester grandpa bought used in 57. Then a 59 Winchester dad got new for his 16th birthday. Ive had them all in my safe for a year now.

221 - 240 of 277 Posts