Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been shooting trap for 10 months, and this is a summary of this trip thus far.

1. I have shot about 10,200 rounds
  2. Bought three shotguns
    1. Fabarms O/U (HK) sporting
    2. Ljutic (used but a trap gun)
    3. B725 Trap Golden Clays (new and it shoots great)
  3. Scores:
    1. With the Fabarms I could not be consistent, but I did shoot a 50 straight
    2. Ljutic shot great and shot a 99/100
    3. B725 have shot very well, higher score is 98/100 – but I am very consistent 24-25
    4. Registered matches - 81,82,86,94 (25 straight)
    5. Overall I have 15 (25s) and 2 (50s) - shot at my local club not registered
What I have learned:
  1. Shoot a trap gun
  2. Make sure the gun fits
  3. Must have solid fundamentals (gun mount, foot position, hold point, etc)
  4. LOOK AT THE BIRD
  5. Pattern your shotgun, you must know where it is shooting
  6. Don’t think about scores, think about shot execution. One bird at a time
  7. Find out what works for you! We are all different. Don’t be afraid to experiment with things like hold point, shooting fast, shooting slower, etc.
  8. Develop a pre-shot routine. Do it, if it does not feel right dismount the gun and do it again
I am having a lot of fun and I am hooked.

-jP

·
Registered
906 Posts
Puigs (May I call you Puigs?:)), it looks like you are figuring this thing out quickly. That’s excellent progress in 10 months. In another thread you mentioned coming to the Silver Dollar for the Southern Zone Shoot. I hope you make it as you will find it a great place to shoot. If you need assistance with anything just let me know. You can ask someone at the front desk or classification windows to point me out. I will be there all four days.
Denny Kennedy

·
Registered
72 Posts
Congratulations on your first 10 months.
I agree with #7, everybody has their own "sweet spot", it's just a matter of finding it.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Great progress for your first 10 months. You are definitely on the track to success.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Yup....You are on the fast track...and make me sick! (not really)
Great and keep it up..We need more shooters like you!
Mike

·
Registered
278 Posts
JP - Also a new shooter (about 8 months), but you are way ahead of me. I've shot one 25, approx. 5 24's and a bunch of 23's. Best 50 shot total was a 47. Also, probably have 1/2 your round count (I'm in upstate NY, so shooting this winter was challenging).

So far I've shot two shotguns. Started with a Browning Citori CXT. About 3 months in I found a used Ljutic online at a great price. Tried shooting it for nearly 3 months and could not shoot it consistently (gun didn't really fit so well and POI was probably 8-12" high. Went back to the Browning and scores/consistency immediately improved.

Still having a ton of fun and feel like I'm making some progress.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
JP - Also a new shooter (about 8 months), but you are way ahead of me. I've shot one 25, approx. 5 24's and a bunch of 23's. Best 50 shot total was a 47. Also, probably have 1/2 your round count (I'm in upstate NY, so shooting this winter was challenging).

So far I've shot two shotguns. Started with a Browning Citori CXT. About 3 months in I found a used Ljutic online at a great price. Tried shooting it for nearly 3 months and could not shoot it consistently (gun didn't really fit so well and POI was probably 8-12" high. Went back to the Browning and scores/consistency immediately improved.

Still having a ton of fun and feel like I'm making some progress.
Great!!!!
And prop's for going for a gun that you can shoot consistent!
mike

·
Registered
278 Posts
Thanks Mike. I haven't completely given up on the Ljutic. The problem is that I just can't get low enough in the stock, so I'm seeing too much rib and POI is too high. I shot my one 25 with the Ljutic, and a couple of 24's, but I also shot a whole lot of 16's, 17's and 18's. Since going back to the Browning over a month ago I'm still shooting the occasional 23 or 24, but my lowest score has been a 20, so I'm definitely more consistent. But I do like the overall feel of the Ljutic and the trigger is definitely better, so I'm thinking about having someone cut the stock and put in an adjustable comb. If I can get at least 1/4" lower on the stock I believe I can get the POI to be about where the Browning is. I think this would go a long way to solving the problem.

·
Registered
6,130 Posts
What I have learned:
  1. Shoot a trap gun
  2. Make sure the gun fits
  3. Must have solid fundamentals (gun mount, foot position, hold point, etc)
  4. LOOK AT THE BIRD
  5. Pattern your shotgun, you must know where it is shooting
  6. Don’t think about scores, think about shot execution. One bird at a time
  7. Find out what works for you! We are all different. Don’t be afraid to experiment with things like hold point, shooting fast, shooting slower, etc.
  8. Develop a pre-shot routine. Do it, if it does not feel right dismount the gun and do it again
You have learned more than most shooters ever learn about the sport of clay target shooting. I congratulate you on that.

Remember to keep and open mind to new thoughts and ideas.

I, for one, came to realize that you can never have too much knowledge or experience in this game.

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

·
Registered
857 Posts
Houndog, get your stock worked on. I own about 15 different shotguns and don't consider a gun mine until I do something to it like adding a rib, bending a stock, or working on the chokes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts