Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
vintage 1977 Sheridan Blue Streak. Great for a few quiet shots in the backyard, just to keep my eyes sharp!

·
Supporting Vendor
10,142 Posts
I have the exact same gun that I keep by my back door. That .20 cal is the way to go and last summer alone, I put 47 chipmonks to their graves. I've nailed them with the factory iron sights at 20 yards without a problem.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tron, it's accuracy is incredible! With no scope even, just factory open sights. And yes, the 5mm pellet is the way to go...

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Of all my airguns, an old Winchester 435, a Rws, Crossman springer, Benjamin (from my high school days in the early 60s, my Sheridan is the go-to one for eradicating garden pests as well as showing my 4H kids just how dangerous and destructive a little "pellet gun" can be.

Three or four sticks of modelling clay are a good "test" for pellet damage. Usually, with the Sheridan, the first one is blown in half, the secnd is at least halfway disconnected, and the third about all the way penetrated. These are the one inch sticks stood upright and shot with the Sheridan pellet and eight pumps.

Been seriously thinking of sending it to Mach 1 for the "steroid" treatment. Your eyes must be a lot better than mine. I had to add a scope a few years back.

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
I chronographed my old Sheridan a few years ago with 10 pumps (nothing in the gun has ever been replaced since 1955) at 720 fps.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
I wish my Sheridan was that nice ..... mine is a newer version with the crap stained hardwood stock. Still shoots okay though and those 5mm pellets do a number on anything up to an including the occaisonal skunk.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
have the same one with a red dot scope.

tony

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Had one of these when I was a kid--a few years back...had many good times with it..wish I still had it...SMOKIT

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Is there a connection between the Sheridan and Benjamin Air rifles? When i was a kid i had a wood stocked Benjamin BB gun that looked very much like that Sheridan pictured.

Matt

·
Molon Labe
11,995 Posts
Benjamin now owns Sheridan or the other way around, I used to have a 5mm Sheridan when I was a kid, when I was in the Air Force my nephews ruined it, they were trying to shoot a ring shank nail trough it and got it stuck in the barrel, and then totally destroyed it trying to remove the nail

I bought one that looked just like it a few years ago, it has a walnut stock, but it's .177, after i bought it I saw that they also make them in .22, not sure if they still make the 5 mm though

But they are great guns, just not made drive nails

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
Nice post. I am an airgun nut. I have several and just got a Benjiman Sheridan Super Streak 1500 fps. Lots of fun and accuracy is as good or better than my best 17 hmr. Here is a forum I belong to. You airgun nuts will enjoy it. See above web site for GTA Internation Air Gun Forum

·
Registered
25,281 Posts
Is your barrel brass lined or steel? When I was a kid one of the better makes used brass bores, and this turned me off, because I'd be worried about it being soft and wearing out. Even though the lead pellets are soft, it was recommended that the bores get cleaned once in a while.

We can't bust camp rats... er.. chimpmunks here. They're protected. Even though many places are overrun with them.

The 20 cal (5mm) pellets are a nice compromise between the .177 and .22 cal. They kill much better than the .177, and are flatter shooting than the .22 cal. I don't know why they never really caught on. Locally I just never see 5mm pellets. Only .177 and .22.

The .25 cal was popular with some adults when I was a kid because at close range it really dished out the whack. But that's it's weakness. At longer ranges it loses too much velocity and the .22 will outpace it.

Scopes... Air guns, most especially single pump style, have bidirectional recoil, unlike a firearm that has unidirectional recoil. The spring decompresses, travels beyond its rest state, then retracts back past it again. Firearms scopes are generally braced for unidirectional recoil, and air guns have been known to wreck them. If you're using an air gun with a powerful spring, make sure you get a scope that says it can also be used on airguns or was specifically designed for an airgun. Beeman used to sell such scopes under their name, and they held up well.

I haven't have an airgun for quite a while. Need to set one up to take care of English Sparrows. I do not trust some of the break barrel models are being consistent for scope POA/POI. Prefer side cockers for this reason. Have not found what I want yet.

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
The break barrels have improved a lot Brian. If you get back into the air gun society, it will hook you like a fish on. The technology has really improved. I love the older guns but the new ones shoot better. The German guns are the bomb.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
My fun gun in the late 40s and early 50s was a Benjamin, single shot (no magazine or storage), pistol you pumped up by hand, usually 5 to 10 strokes between shots. You sure learned to make the shot count as slow as that was to operate. Downed a lot of critters with that one. Still have a break barrel Crossman .177 in the closet and, of course, a Red Rider.....breakemall

·
Registered
9,984 Posts
I need to get a really good accurate and powerful pelletgun...I have one of those Chinese made break barrels that you used to see for 45bucks at the gun shows..its pretty peppy and very accurate but no way to put glass on it for these old beat up eyes..probably get one of those Gamos one day

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.