Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found out this hunting season my 4yr old pup has lymes. We we at the club hunting and out of nowhere he started acting strange. He wasn't listening to me, rather running around aimlessly, almost as if he was blind. I finally caught up to him and put on a leash. As we walked to the truck I knew something was terribly wrong. Just a few days before we had a dog at the club become overwhelmed by the heat so I was assuming maybe he was dehydrated. As we got to my truck and opened the door he clumsily bumped into the side of it and fell down. I quickly picked him up and drove to the clubhouse to get help. We gave him water but he wouldn't drink. I quickly drove him to the vet. That night he stumbled around the house in a frantic manner, not knowing where he was and not being able to find the doors and other things he's familiar with. He eventually started getting better after taking some antibiotics. But up until then I was worried sick over his health and the possibility of long term blindness or other debilitating symptoms. The results finally came back, and even though he had a lymes vaccination, somehow he still contracted it.
Now it's been a few months and the other night he felt warm. The next night he started acting strange again. He was affraid to jump off the bed. Not sure if he couldn't see the floor or what, but he was scared. He could barely make it downstairs without walking into something. The vet gave me more antibiotics, but I'm starting to wonder if there isn't something else that may be causing this. All I lnow is that it's tough watching your best bud go through something like this so young.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I hope you are catching it early since he is showing so many symptoms and getting antibiotic. I know it is hard but you may actually be lucky to know he needs medication.

Reactions: cadence2arms

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
I'm very sorry to hear what he's going through. Hang in there and do what you can for your buddy. You're his path to getting better - and those of us who have had dogs know he puts his faith and trust in you. Give that boy a hug - often.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I found out this hunting season my 4yr old pup has lymes. We we at the club hunting and out of nowhere he started acting strange. He wasn't listening to me, rather running around aimlessly, almost as if he was blind. I finally caught up to him and put on a leash. As we walked to the truck I knew something was terribly wrong. Just a few days before we had a dog at the club become overwhelmed by the heat so I was assuming maybe he was dehydrated. As we got to my truck and opened the door he clumsily bumped into the side of it and fell down. I quickly picked him up and drove to the clubhouse to get help. We gave him water but he wouldn't drink. I quickly drove him to the vet. That night he stumbled around the house in a frantic manner, not knowing where he was and not being able to find the doors and other things he's familiar with. He eventually started getting better after taking some antibiotics. But up until then I was worried sick over his health and the possibility of long term blindness or other debilitating symptoms. The results finally came back, and even though he had a lymes vaccination, somehow he still contracted it.
Now it's been a few months and the other night he felt warm. The next night he started acting strange again. He was affraid to jump off the bed. Not sure if he couldn't see the floor or what, but he was scared. He could barely make it downstairs without walking into something. The vet gave me more antibiotics, but I'm starting to wonder if there isn't something else that may be causing this. All I lnow is that it's tough watching your best bud go through something like this so young.

I'm afraid it is all too common these days. Your vet should be able to get him on antibiotics, and, hopefully, if there hasn't been damage done, he will recover fully in several weeks. Make sure you stay the course with the medication and give it each and every day as prescribed until it is gone.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Sorry to hear this. My son found a tick on his English pointer today. Damn I hate them things. It’s 34 degrees out when we ran the dogs. Hope you buddy makes a full recovery.

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
Prayers for a speedy recovery. A good hunting dog is indeed a treasure; may he have a swift and complete recovery.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had a lab who got Lyme's when she was about four. It was discovered when we took her to the vet because her joints appeared stiff. She was on an antibiotic for several months at least. No ill effects after that and she lived ten more years. Good luck to you and your dog.
That's great to hear. Thanks

1 - 20 of 45 Posts