Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
While shooting trap today, my Decot Hy-Wyd suddenly disintegrated into 2 pieces. It wasn't bumped or knocked, I'm right handed and the frame broke on the left side when I fired.

Here's a picture of it:

Has anyone else had this happened to them before? I'm a little disappointed actually as I've had this Decot Hy-Wyd for about 2 years only.

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
and, of course, you contacted Decot before posting this complaint, yes??

what was their response?

·
Registered
14,112 Posts
Looks like a pretty easy repair. Tough to tell from the pic, but it looks like it just needs a new temple, or maybe you can repair that one with some two part epoxy in the mean time.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Also had 1 break but it was about 20 years + old, it broke while I was at the Grand, bought a new arm from Decot and they replaced. Things do break, not sure what warranty is on the frames.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I have had those replaced before and they are about $20.00. I have never had one break.

One time I was going to look at buying a set of Ranger brand glasses and took a brand new one out of the round box that they were in, and started to put it on and it broke where the hinge is attached to the frame. The guy that owned the store said it looked like they were not soldered properly and let me off the hook for breaking them. So they do break.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Waiting to see how the stand behind their product. I don't mind paying good money for things along I know they'll treat the customer right. Please keep us updated.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Bud Decot started making shooting glasses in the 1950's. My Dad bought a set in the late 50's and wore till the 90's. He replaced the temples and nose piece a few times. I've had my 2 sets for almost 20 years. I replaced one temple and 3 or 4 nose pieces. That's the items that wear. Decot is good company with great product.

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
I've been wearing Decots for 40 years, never a problem or issue. One of the few items I've ever purchased I've never had and issue with. That is both the product or company.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
While shooting trap today, my Decot Hy-Wyd suddenly disintegrated into 2 pieces. It wasn't bumped or knocked, I'm right handed and the frame broke on the left side when I fired.

Here's a picture of it:

Has anyone else had this happened to them before? I'm a little disappointed actually as I've had this Decot Hy-Wyd for about 2 years only.
I've got those same frames they are about 18 yrs old only replaced a couple nose pieces.

jack mc

·
Registered
476 Posts
I had very poor customer service from the owner of Decot when my lens was broken by a piece of broken target. To my surprise the lens was plastic and not impact proof. The owner contended that the plastic lens was not intended to be a safety lens. My contention was why in the heck would you furnish a lens material in a shooting glass that would not protect my eye from the impact of a piece of target. He basically hung up on me when I said his advertising should make it crystal clear that the standard lens he furnishes is only plastic.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Shotgunner,

I think your compliant did ultimately have an impact.

In the year or so since you went public with your experience, they have updated their site to call out (well, sort of) that their standard lens do not offer eye protection.
image.jpg

But their more expensive packages do now appear to come standard with protective, polycarbonate lens. Which they do, in fact call out directly.
image.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A quick update on this issue. I contacted Decot via email and they wrote back quickly that while the frame isn't covered by warranty since it is over a year old, they've decided to send a replacement temple piece for free.

Received it yesterday and installed it, I'm good to go again, yeah! :3a:

The installation can be a little tricky, you have put the temple piece in in its folded position so that the hole will somewhat line up with the one on the frame. They will not line up perfectly, which threw me off a little. A call to Decot customer service and they told me that you're suppose to use the screw which has sharp needle like end and insert it between the slightly misaligned holes, then screw it down. The screwing action will force the holes to align themselves. You then cut the sharp end off.

Full marks for customer service to Decot, however, my faith in the product is a little shaken as the frame is pretty new to have suffered a failure without an impact event. It simply fell apart. And since my employer provides a vision plan, flexible spending account and HRA account, I'll look into getting something else to try; perhaps a pair of Pilla Sports with prescription insert might do the trick.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts