Trapshooters Forum banner

My club reduced it's operating schedule

3026 29
North Jersey Clay Target Club sent an email blast to members this morning citing financial hardship due to reduced attendance. Availability of ammunition was the number one reason for lack of attendance. We're now down to 4 days a week.

Even the wholesaler the club buys through is hurting and unable to offer shells, shot or wads. Plenty of White Flyers, but nothing to shoot `em with. It's not looking good. :(
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
For “mixed” clubs this might be educational for the BOD. A lot of clubs with rifle/pistol/archery/trap/skeet/sporting have boards of directors from the rifle/pistol side. They quite often see the clay target side as costing the club money. They see the large invoices for targets and forget the every day income from selling those targets.

If people can’t/don’t buy rounds because of no ammo then that daily/weekly/monthly income doesn’t show up. As one of the top 10 “spenders” at my club for several years I got tired of hearing how the trap side was a “burden” on the club. I ( we ) spent more in a week than the rifle pistol guys spent in a year. Including club dues.

· Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For “mixed” clubs this might be educational for the BOD. A lot of clubs with rifle/pistol/archery/trap/skeet/sporting have boards of directors from the rifle/pistol side. They quite often see the clay target side as costing the club money. They see the large invoices for targets and forget the every day income from selling those targets.

If people can’t/don’t buy rounds because of no ammo then that daily/weekly/monthly income doesn’t show up. As one of the top 10 “spenders” at my club for several years I got tired of hearing how the trap side was a “burden” on the club. I ( we ) spent more in a week than the rifle pistol guys spent in a year. Including club dues.
This is dead-on. My center-fire club is all outdoor and covers everything from air-rifle, archery and silhouette; everything centerfire from 7 yards to 300 for the hi-power range. Three years ago, they put in five trap houses in a quasi-five stand arrangement and then priced the per/target costs out of this universe. Few members use it. It's too expensive. I see a lot of non-members bring the kids to get them familiar with shotgun, but no member takes it seriously.

I joined a trap-only club because of that. It's an hour drive but a good facility with good folks and registered targets.. But that's all they have and they're not doing well. Hopefully, we don't see another death in the family of trap ranges. They've been here in the same location since the 1930's and I truly hope they have the means to survive this mess.

· Registered
109 Posts
North Jersey Clay Target Club sent an email blast to members this morning citing financial hardship due to reduced attendance. Availability of ammunition was the number one reason for lack of attendance. We're now down to 4 days a week.

Even the wholesaler the club buys through is hurting and unable to offer shells, shot or wads. Plenty of White Flyers, but nothing to shoot `em with. It's not looking good. :(
I can say with certainty having spoken with board members that this is simply due to the ammunition shortage.

It is a smart defensive measure, given the lower volumes at the moment.

No sense in keeping the club open days were volume is extremely low.

The club is in overall in excellent shape financially.

· Registered
4,774 Posts
My club is only open 2 days/week to start with. Members who would normally shoot 4 to 8 rounds per week are down to 2 rounds/week because they don't have any ammo. We do have ammo available for sale but we must charge $12/box since it cost us over $11/box. Not too many takers at that price.Some guys said they will go back to golf.The club is down about 60% and we only open 1 trap instead of 2 as we try to keep the squads full instead of a bunch of 2 or 3 man squads.

Reactions: Candy B

· Registered
2,974 Posts
This an excellent example of why you’ve got to “know your numbers”. It makes no difference to the tax man or the utilities if the door is open or closed. They want to get paid. You have to know labor and supplies costs. If you know what a day costs open vs closed, maybe that was the right decision... maybe it wasn’t.

· Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can say with certainty having spoken with board members that this is simply due to the ammunition shortage.

It is a smart defensive measure, given the lower volumes at the moment.

No sense in keeping the club open days were volume is extremely low.

The club is in overall in excellent shape financially.
That’s the best news I’ve had all day. Thanks for that!

· Registered
617 Posts
My club is only open 2 days/week to start with. Members who would normally shoot 4 to 8 rounds per week are down to 2 rounds/week because they don't have any ammo. We do have ammo available for sale but we must charge $12/box since it cost us over $11/box. Not too many takers at that price.Some guys said they will go back to golf.The club is down about 60% and we only open 1 trap instead of 2 as we try to keep the squads full instead of a bunch of 2 or 3 man squads.
John..are you talking about Farmingdale?

· Registered
13,497 Posts
I cannot fathom not having 7 day a week access 9am-9pm access to clay facilities.
Markham Park in Fort Lauderdale. The closest shooting club to my home. Is only open all day on Sunday and half a day on Monday now because of Covid. Not because of the ammo shortage. Its a Covid-19 testing and shot giving site to all of Broward County on all of the other days. So the shooting park must be closed while the Covid testing and shots are being given. The lines for the Covid-19 prevented any other parts of the park to remain open. Markham Park even went so far as to remove all the Campers in the camping area. I have never seen this before. There were families living in that park I'm sure.

PS The clubhouse at MP is out of stock on shells as well. They have no idea when they might get some in as well. break em all Jeff

· Registered
101 Posts
As stated above the club is nowhere near financial hardship nor was that stated in the e mail notification. With the shortage of ammo and therefore the lack of shooters on Tues and Wed it made financial sense at this point in time to close one of those days. The board is doing its best to be responsible to the membership and the club in order to maintain sustainability through these hard times - just as we did when we had to close for a couple of months last year due to the China virus. Adding back the day in the future will be evaluated as the demand rises.
Thanks
Vic - VP North Jersey Clay Target

· Banned
2,714 Posts
Markham Park in Fort Lauderdale. The closest shooting club to my home. Is only open all day on Sunday and half a day on Monday now because of Covid. Not because of the ammo shortage. Its a Covid-19 testing and shot giving site to all of Broward County on all of the other days. So the shooting park must be closed while the Covid testing and shots are being given. The lines for the Covid-19 prevented any other parts of the park to remain open. Markham Park even went so far as to remove all the Campers in the camping area. I have never seen this before. There were families living in that park I'm sure.

PS The clubhouse at MP is out of stock on shells as well. They have no idea when they might get some in as well. break em all Jeff
Well, that sounds like a lot of sucks unless I'm reading it wrong. Glad I'm not fathoming any of that.

· Registered
13,497 Posts
unless I'm reading it wrong.
No, your reading it correctly I expect. Its only temporary now. Markham Park has been a covid testing grounds for the better part of last 12 months. Most everyone have gotten there shots now. You can even go to Walmart now and get your free shots. So I expect the Park will get back to normal PDQ. Of course its a county run park, so nothing is quick!!! If you get my meaning? Monday the park is only open from 1:00 pm to dark. So shooting in the heat is out now. Last month it was still OK. Not now!!! All is not as bad as it seems though. I have 5 other clubs open to me that are just a little bit more of a drive. I did not include South Florida Shooting Club. They just raised there yearly membership there now to $2,500 per year. You also need a member in good standings to vouch for you. Or your application will not be accepted. break em all jeff

· Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As stated above the club is nowhere near financial hardship nor was that stated in the e mail notification. With the shortage of ammo and therefore the lack of shooters on Tues and Wed it made financial sense at this point in time to close one of those days. The board is doing its best to be responsible to the membership and the club in order to maintain sustainability through these hard times - just as we did when we had to close for a couple of months last year due to the China virus. Adding back the day in the future will be evaluated as the demand rises.
Thanks
Vic - VP North Jersey Clay Target
Thanks Vic, I really appreciate your comment. I “get” the business angle and no complaints from me. I want to see the club do well in all regards. I honestly wish I could get there more often than my usual visit on the weekends. Thanks for what you do!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.